Hydrogen Peroxide

"not particularly, but it depends on how much radiation is emitted from the marbles"

All of these will probably have the same impact on the absorbed radiation you receive:

a) Sitting in front of a TV

b) Just being in the ground floor instead of, let's say, thirteenth

c) Holding a uranium marble

d) Being in the basement instead of ground floor (depends on the country though)

And when you're in an airplane, even though the period you're under the influence of extra radiation, a 7h intercontinental flight most likely gives you way more radiation than pouring uranium marbles all over your bed and sleeping on them for several weeks. :o But as bud said, it's quite hard to tell really. Some emit more radiation, some emit less. I've seen marbles that are said to measure up to 600 CPM of gamma only, and some of the variety I mentioned in post #271.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"im just saying that IF the marbles are 20,000cpm (which is possible) then youre not in a healthy atmosphere"

You got that right. Especially if the 20 000 is only gamma. And never, never ever never break uranium marbles; alpha radiators are bitches when inhaled or consumed (as I have mentioned about 27 times :) ). It's a good thing the alpha doesn't go through the glass. If you're nuts enough, you might want to bombard the marble with neutrons and see how much the radiation level increases when the uranium atoms transform into even heavier atoms. :P

Yeah, that's true too, but as we remember that natural uranium is about 99.3% U-238 and 0.7% U-235, and that the uranium in the marbles is even more depleted than that, a very minimal amount of fission will happen. It's fun to think though that "inside that marble there are atoms splitting, just like in an A-bomb". :P However, bombarding a piece of ore that contains a lot of uranium (such as pitchblende), that's not even in a sealed container isn't generally a good idea.

so if for example i go onto ebay to buy some U-marbles, they will not say they radiation levels, i do not posses a geiger counter, so how would i know if i were in danger? or is that just a risk.

and im not too stupid, if i get one im not gonna bombard it with neutrons and im not gonna split it to release all of the alpha radiation!

"you wont get a bomb from pitchblende or even pure uranium unless it's mostly pure 233 or 235"

Of course, for atomic bomb purposes, it has to be about 90% or higher in U-235 (or U-233, it's fissionable too). It also has to be a supercritical mass, which for uranium is quite many kilograms (about 50kg?). The reactor fuel uranium has just enough (about 3-5%) U-235 to sustain a controllable chain reaction (producing the heat that then vaporizes the water and blah blah blah :) ).

"You mean a nuclear bomb, atomic bomb is the same as a hydrodgen bomb."

The hell it is! An atomic bomb is specifically a fission bomb, not a fusion bomb. An atomic bomb is a nuclear device, as a fusion bomb is a thermonuclear device (I'm not absolutely sure if you can call a thermonuclear device a nuclear device, though).

so if for example i go onto ebay to buy some U-marbles, they will not say they radiation levels, i do not posses a geiger counter, so how would i know if i were in danger? or is that just a risk.

and im not too stupid, if i get one im not gonna bombard it with neutrons and im not gonna split it to release all of the alpha radiation!

(once this is answered, feel free to go back to bombs!!!)

"You mean a nuclear bomb' date=' atomic bomb is the same as a hydrodgen bomb."

The hell it is! An atomic bomb is specifically a fission bomb, not a fusion bomb. An atomic bomb is a nuclear device, as a fusion bomb is a thermonuclear device (I'm not absolutely sure if you can call a thermonuclear device a nuclear device, though).[/quote']

Sorry I got confused there are so many names for the same thing!

And you second query, well a neutron bomb is Nuclear but not thermonuclear

"And you second query, well a neutron bomb is Nuclear but not thermonuclear "

Howcome? The neutron bomb is a fusion bomb (which is thermonuclear) without the U-238 blanket. So, the energy doesn't build up and the neutrons are released almost immediately, causing enhanced radiation damage (not enhanced fallout, those are called "salted" bombs). Inside a neutron bomb, deuterium-tritium fusion happens creating energy, an extra neutron and helium-4. So it's up to the weapon designer to decide whether he wants a) extreme amounts of radioactivity damage, medium amount of explosive damage or b) extreme explosive damage, moderate radiactivity damage. Then if he chooses to, he can put cobalt around the bomb, making it a salted bomb I mentioned earlier (Co-59 + neutron = Co-60).

Basically:

Nuclear = fission, no specific temperature

THERMOnuclear = fusion, in high temperatures

ok, you both win (well i think gilded is right, but please answer this!!! - then refer to the last line of the quote!!!:

so if for example i go onto ebay to buy some U-marbles' date=' they will not say they radiation levels, i do not posses a geiger counter, so how would i know if i were in danger? or is that just a risk.

(once this is answered, feel free to go back to bombs!!!)[/quote']

Yeah, I didn't notice that one. My sincere apologies there 5614. :P

Soo... Most of the marbles have their radiation levels stated. If they don't, you can ask if you can use the local high school's Geiger counter if they have one. If they won't let you... well, tough break. :D Anyway, a single (or even several) uranium marbles are a very minimal risk, as one marble contains a barely visible amount of uranium (in oxide form mostly).

Oh and about the vaseline thing, not all marbles are filled with a vaseline-uranium mixture. You might find a marble that's glass all the way, that had some U-oxide added to it before it was formed to ball form.

Checked 3 different providers at eBay for U-marbles: 2/3 CPM mentioned (100-200 in both cases)

Edit: You must remember also that there are so many uranium glass objects lying about, that if they were extraordinarily dangerous, the cancer rates weren't the way they are now. :)

one sec bud!

so is there any realistic danger from say a 150cpm U-marble?

or is it all just paranoya? or is it a realistic thing?

if i just have a few, they will probably live in my room (or near me) for the next 20 years! so take that into mind when answering the above question.

you`de be dumb to add any water based liquid to an acid, double dumb with sulphuric :(

always add the acid to the water, Never the otherway around (if you want to keep your face).

also adding water to H2O2 will only dilute it anyway so your 3% will become less and less a percentage the more water you add.

"always add the acid to the water, Never the otherway around (if you want to keep your face)."

There's a nice Finnish rhyme about that that involves not getting your finger blistered. :P With that in mind, I hopefully never do the "Hey whatta AAARGHH MY FACE!".

jdurg just reminded me; you know how you get AA and AAA 1.5V batteries, well seemingly you can get AAAA 1.5V batteries... i'd never seen nor heard of them before until recently.

also adding sodium to chlorine (NaCl aka salt) is quite a cool reaction, esp. in big quantities, just make sure you do it in something which can withstand the heat!

other than U-marbles and expired glow sticks, what else can you put under blacklight (aka near UV 'light') for cool effects... other than white stuff!?

other than U-marbles and expired glow sticks' date=' what else can you put under blacklight (aka near UV 'light') for cool effects... other than white stuff!?[/quote']

Hehe. Must....... refrain......... from saying........... dirty things............ ;):P lol. Ummmmm, aside from THAT, I'm not too sure about what else can be put under blacklight. Maybe some white phosphorus?

other than U-marbles and expired glow sticks' date=' what else can you put under blacklight (aka near UV 'light') for cool effects... other than white stuff!?[/quote']

Does that really work?! Did you try it?! :D:embarass::confused:

Edit: oh... I bet you didnt really mean it that way... like white shirts?