Hydrogen Peroxide

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How pure does nitric acid have to be to be explosive grade? >90%?

*remembers promising YT2095 not to mess with high explosives*

Err... *runs off muttering about pine table disintegrating*

Edit: *mutters also about posting in wrong threads*

i did make some chlorine peroxide once when i wasn't so experienced in chemistry. it was a sort of accident (wait, that had sodium hypochlorite in it??). i was looking carefully at my beaker when the reaction occurred, so i got a good breath of it in. of course, i jumped back. i ended up coughing for 2 minutes or so, followed by less frequent coughing and a bit of respiratory irritation. it could have been worse of course, but i didn't get pulmonary edema. both luckily and not so, i did this in my basement, where it is more or less dark, but has no ventilation. as a result, it was sketchy getting rid of the chlorine peroxide, but it did not detonate due to the lack of light. it diffused enough to not explode violently as it left the basement when i opened all the windows and doors in the house.

i do not wish to make that again anytime soon

but no matter how carefull you are accidents always happen.... like you breathing in the chlorine peroxide and pulkit told me about some guy who was playing with [it was either] sodium or potassium, cant remember, anyway, this guy was really carefull, but somehow a bit of Na or K got into his/her eye and they had to wear glasses for the rest of their lives :(

moral: be carefull, but remember accidents happen to everyone.... you are not an exception!