Graduate > Posts = 750

Student > Posts = 1000

Schoolchild > Posts = 1500

Preschool > Posts = 3000

Newbie > Posts = 5000

Spaceweevil > Posts = 10000

Dunce > Posts = 20000

I like it :D, it’s unrewarding.

nice but i dont think that 1000 is student and 3000 as preschool is very appropriate, whilsts you can joke, if you want to be listened to you must be serious.

plus all the numbers are too high, max for that kinda thing should be 7,500 maybe, i know sayo is almost there, but he's an exception, max max realsitically is 10,000

but so few will reach it, theres not much point in going that high.

Maybe:

New, 0 posts

Fresh, 30 posts

Growing, 100 posts

Student, 250 posts

6th Grader, 500 posts

Experienced, 750 posts

Dedicated, 1000 posts

Expert, 1500 posts

Veteran, 2500 posts

Old Fart, 5000 posts

I know, it sounds a bit silly, but instead of us constantly coming up with new ones I think you should try to now improve on all of our previous ones.

I agree that the one we have is kind of old and not very fun anymore...

i like cap'n with 1 improvement

1) people might get offended by 'old fart' so maybe a re-naming of that one.

i think that cap'ns is realistic and clever, of course you could do a science-y one but we've already got that.... so maybe not.

im guessing this wont be too hard for blike to change... just renaming a few stuff and changing the values, it was him who suggested it in the first place.

Actually, the "Old Fart" was only put in because I didn't know what else to say... :P

Maybe "Old Timer"? Or, if they were a good person, could they get a custom title even? (good person, as in not spamming and knowing their stuff).

Then, if there's someone who has stayed with the forum for a long time they could get the additional title "Forum Regular", which will be a nice status (something you look up to) and to show the new people who's the "big shots".

nice but i dont think that 1000 is student and 3000 as preschool is very appropriate' date=' whilsts you can joke, if you want to be listened to you must be serious.

plus all the numbers are too high, max for that kinda thing should be 7,500 maybe, i know sayo is almost there, but he's an exception, max max realsitically is 10,000

but so few will reach it, theres not much point in going that high.[/quote']

It was a joke. I was making with the funny. See how the scale goes down instead of up? You become less important over time, decreasing the spammyness. I was not actually suggesting it be implemented, that's just silly.

i dont think that people are really aware of the system, i wasnt until this thread started, i thought it was random.

How old are you?

How old are[/i'] you?

the fact that i never saw the thread about it, has nothing to do with my age.

further more i've only a been here a few months, i dont know everything about this site yet... as evident from this thread!

the fact that i never saw the thread about it, has nothing to do with my age.

Soooooo, I'm guessing 14.

further more i've only a been here a few months, i dont know everything about this site yet... as evident from this thread!

There are two major producers of forum software, phpbb and vBulletin.

http://www.phpbb.com/

http://www.vbulletin.com/

They account for around 70% of the forums on the internet. All of them have the ranking system. It's kinda obvious from forum browsing. There are always people bitching about the titles as well. Most want custom titles, for teh 1337 kudos or some such thing. It's tediously boring imho.

Quark > Posts = 0

Lepton > Posts = 10

Meson > Posts = 50

Baryon > Posts = 100

Atom > Posts = 200

Molecule > Posts = 400

Protist > Posts = 750

Organism > Posts = 1000

Primate > Posts = 1500

Scientist > Posts = 3000

Genius > Posts = 5000

*edit - but it's not a race.

You have quark and lepton the wrong way round.

In my opinion, it shouldn't be based on post count. If you post a particularly interesting scientific point, you should be awarded a point by a mod. Then people who post science discussions as the intention of the forum would be rewarded, while spam and chit-chat wouldn't be. I think the mods here know enough and are openminded enough for that to work.

I agree that the one we have is kind of old and not very fun anymore...
And how long will it take you to get bored with the new one?

Seriously, this should be the last thing on your minds. The rankings incite spam and chat, imo, instead of well-thought out posts. Remember Tesseract? Seven or eight million posts in three months, most off-topic, and where is he now?

SFN has ways of dealing with trouble-makers. They vanish... without a trace.

:D

You have quark and lepton the wrong way round.

No' date=' actually, I don't. Take it up with Simutronics Corp if you don't like it :D

In my opinion, it shouldn't be based on post count. If you post a particularly interesting scientific point, you should be awarded a point by a mod. Then people who post science discussions as the intention of the forum would be rewarded, while spam and chit-chat wouldn't be. I think the mods here know enough and are openminded enough for that to work.

Last time that was tried, it was open to mods as well as normal members. It lead to preferential points, petty revenge attacks and arguing. The normal members didn't handle it much better either. It isn't a bad idea, aside from ego freaks, but I actually don't see the point in any ranking system, short of a feature used to draw users into the community (which isn't the reason people join this sort of forum anyway).

No' date=' actually, I don't. Take it up with Simutronics Corp if you don't like it :D

[/quote']

I wasn't meaning in terms of mass - I was meaning in terms of what I have ssen here. I have definitely seen a newbie with one post and the title 'lepton'. (See the first post in this thread for example, though he may have posted more by the time you look...)

I like the idea of a rating system in theory, especially when combined with the ability to filter by rating. Unfortunately, when we implemented a universal reputation system, it was abused very quickly. Members who didn't like each other would abuse the system, and then moderators and admins would have to get involved and sort out who deserved what. There was just no way to practically implement it.

I've thought about some sort of a controlled number of points floating around or meta-moderating system like slashdot. The reason slashdot is so effective is because of the large user-base willing to participate in meta-moderation as well as being, on the whole, dedicated to giving rewards where they are due.

If anyone has any suggestions on how a point or ranking system could be successfully implemented, feel free to post it here.

If anyone has any suggestions on how a point or ranking system could be successfully implemented, feel free to post it here.
Put me down for leaving it as it is or doing away with it altogether. Blike, the last thing you need is more complications. You're just going to get 2500 cooks in the kitchen, each with their own idea of how to do it right.

Remember when Sayo came up with the Bubble scripting and everybody thought it was great but wanted to have him constantly adding new characters? They forgot to be grateful for something he took a lot of personal time to implement. If you change the ratings system, you'll please some temporarily until they want you to change it again.

Thanks for your willingness to go the extra distance to make the site better, but it doesn't need it, imho.

I'd have to agree on saying a subjectively based rating system would do nothing but add unwanted politics to the page. Sure we get the odd stupid question but as long as people are tolerant(which is not always the case) and someone is willing to point out the error in their ways, the site serves as a good way to eduacte as well as inform.

We don't need competetiveness, enough of that exists in our immediate surrounds. Science is supposed to be a rational dialogue through which ideas and theories can be openly discussed with fellow academics. Not a measure of who is better or who is right/wrong. People are defensive enough as it is without having the added temptation to go out of their to hold on to errorneous concepts and in someway prove to a mod that their original post has merit.