Earliest Thoughtcrime, most Orwelling Society?

Mr Skeptic

So I recently finished reading 1984 by George Orwell. Very interesting book, and slightly scary too. Anyhow, it occurred to me that his idea of thoughtcrime isn't new (which of course is part of the scary aspect -- that the stuff in the book might possibly happen). Jesus is the earliest person I know of to have considered thoughts to be crime (a sin is a crime against God). I doubt he was the first though.

Anyhow, for those who read the book, what's the most Orwellian society you know of (present or historical)? What about the first instance of various of the components of the book (thoughtcrime, doublethink, Thought Police, Newspeak,..)?

If you read the trial of Socrates, you will find an earlier thoughtcrime, since he was convicted of discouraging belief in the gods of Ancient Athens.

But religion is not always the motivation for thoughtcrimes, although it seems that any thoughts which encourage a critical, sceptical attitude to the most basic values which a society relies on for social cohesion are treated as crimes. Thus today, for example, in a secular age in which crimes against religious beliefs would be seen as ridiculous, it is a crime in many liberal democracies to deny the Holocaust. This is because anti-racism has taken on the role of a public religion, in that it now secures the foundation for social cohesion which religion used to, and so denying the Holocaust, which is the paradigmatic event demonstrating the evils of racism, has to be criminalized.

One could also add the Qin Shi Huang, the emperor of the the Qin dynasty ca. 220 BC. After unification of China he started burning books, killing scholars (from other kingdoms) and banning languages and writings except one that became the official language.

I think that religion is the basis for the idea of a thought crime. where else in human society do thoughts become a crime, no one can know your thoughts but god....

Well, in 1984 they couldn't read people's minds either, but still had thoughtcrime.

Very scary to think of my thoughts being read, I'm screwed when that comes about, lol

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
Well, in 1984 they couldn't read people's minds either, but still had thoughtcrime.

That is true but they tortured you into admitting it no matter if it was true or not...:eek: Then there was the TV set with the camera that watched you all the time :-( I keep mine turned off unless I'm actually watching it :eyebrow: Hmmm, maybe I should unplug it and cover it with a blanket :confused: Kill your television >:D

Edited by Moontanman
Consecutive posts merged.

Perhaps an even earlier thoughtcrime of which we have a record was the Egyptian Pharoh's effort to introduce monotheism, which was then rejected by succeeding rulers who sought to erase his name from the historical record.