Election 2004

MolecularMan14

What 2004 candidate do you stand behind?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What 2004 candidate do you stand behind?

• George W. Bush
    • John Kerry

"Starting October 26' date=' 2004, visa waiver travelers from ALL 27 Visa Waiver Program countries must present either a machine-readable passport at the U.S. port of entry to enter the U.S. without a visa, otherwise a U.S. visa is required"[/i']

The twenty seven countries are basically the EU, before the last expansion, Australia, NZ, Singapore and Brunei.

And if you come from the middle east, it doesn't matter that you have worked for a US company for ten years, thereby contributing to the wealth of the US, you will be subject to long queues, long delays, and a patronising almost abusive interrogation, when you initially apply for the visa and when you seek to enter the country.

Ophiolite, as I said before, I'm feeling a little sheepish about not knowing that.

You know, something doesn't seem to add up here. If they require visa's, which understandably would cause delays along with some scrutiny. I'd think the terrorists would just come across the border along with the other 3 million illegal aliens per year.......or come in from Canada, they're pretty liberal on immigrants.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah... and bush won, not many people seem that pleased about it though, although seemingly a large (or larger than 4 years ago) amount of americans will be pleased. not the ones which go on here though by the looks of things! (or looking at the votes just over 2/3 of you)

Indeed. I'm not exactly sure why visas are a bad thing aside from the hassle.

Hassle is one problem of course - it takes ages to get one, so you can't just go to the US for a quickly organised business trip - it has to be organised months in advance.

Secondly there is cost. To get a US visa, you have to call a visa line at the US embassy (you can't go in person). This line costs something like $2 a minute and they keep you on hold for half an hour, before cutting you off so that you have to call back. And then they charge you for the visa itself! True American capitalism in action.

Finally there is the issue that they don't give them out to everyone. As I said earlier, I have a friend who lives in France but has an Algerian passport. He is a distinguished physics professor in Paris, and is often invited to give plenary talks at big conferences in the US. Unfortunately he cannot go, because the US won't give him a visa. They give no explanation why.