Square Craters

DragonHunter

I've seen cubic bubbles, why not square craters?

Cubic bubbles that were supported by a structure, I assume...?

The main reason I can see that people doubt the square craters issue is that an explosion or impact results - usually - in more or less equal distribution of energy. And if the distribution isn't equal, it's doubtfully distributed to create square craters.

I heard somewhere (long time ago, and since we don't quite have sources to speak of I can't really research specific craters) that some of the alleged "squareness" of craters were due to later erosion. That is, the crater itself was more or less round (not perfectly so, but definitely not square) and then wind and water erosion made it seem squar'ish. That sounds more reasonable to me than an explosion/impact distributing its energy in such a way that you have angles and straight lines that produce squares.

But, again, without proper resource as to examples, it's hard to judge.

DragonHunter, what's your conclusion about all the roads in and around the sites? If these alleged impacts happened that close to transportation routes, why weren't at least some of them reported?

Yeah, I was just wondering why someone built a whole mess of roads out in the middle of the New Mexico desert, that lead to nothing in particular.

Also, is there any chance to add the coordinates of those craters? I am going through the PDF trying to locate them (I'd like to see the area, the making of the soil, how close they are to other geological formations, etc) and I can't find any of them on google Earth.

Of course, without coordinates it's like looking for a straw in a hay stack. The OP should give us the craters names, at least.

---- edit: yeah, oops, I missed the part where the coordinates appear at the bottom of the images. :)

Yes mooeypoo, (looks down sheepishly) you make a bubble then put six other bubbles around it and the center bubble becomes more or less cubic. It is a staged thing and i was being a smart ass, sorry :doh: The idea of a square crater is just so out there it's difficult to take it seriously but I guess if you had a crater then four other impacts around it in in the exact place and you could get a natural squarish crater >:D

C'mon folks, if all I am going to get are week, intelligence insulting, assumptions I'm wasting my time.

You're wasting our time by not addressing legitimate objections and concerns.

I've provided references to good, peer reviewed research that you casually dismiss without a glance. If you want to disprove, or debate it, first you need to read it. Show me the data. Show me a link to a peer reviewed paper that mentions even one of those locations.

The first article you mention only shows up as an ArXiv preprint in Google scholar. Not peer-reviewed. And I, too, fail to see the relevance. The burden is not upon us to disprove anything, it is upon you to come up with some evidence to support your claims.

Yeah, I was just wondering why someone built a whole mess of roads out in the middle of the New Mexico desert, that lead to nothing in particular.
Another possibility is that these are dried up lakes. There are a tremendous amount of sites in NM that are called tanks, as Mr Skeptic pointed out with Upper East Tank. This might explain the roads leading to these craters, and perhaps attempts to dredge them caused their squarish shape.

More victims of AGW. :-(

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
Yes mooeypoo, (looks down sheepishly) you make a bubble then put six other bubbles around it and the center bubble becomes more or less cubic. It is a staged thing and i was being a smart ass, sorry :doh: The idea of a square crater is just so out there it's difficult to take it seriously but I guess if you had a crater then four other impacts around it in in the exact place and you could get a natural squarish crater >:D
Actually, if you look at satellite images of NM you will find a very cratered landscape, most of them round but quite a few have a distinct square shape. There are also triangles and other shapes as well, but round and square seem to predominate. I still wouldn't call them any more than random occurrences though, and certainly not explosions that scientists are attempting to cover up.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=33.5%C2%BAN++104.84%C2%BAW&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=58.337319,115.048828&ie=UTF8&ll=33.499007,-104.84814&spn=0.007614,0.014044&t=h&z=17

This shows two, with one having a very easily seen access road, while the other is a little harder to discern. I'd say they are quarries.

Yup, here's an even better one:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=33.87%C2%BAN++103.57%C2%BAW&sll=33.499007,-104.84814&sspn=0.004545,0.004452&g=33.5%C2%BAN++104.84%C2%BAW&ie=UTF8&ll=33.870246,-103.570744&spn=0.002263,0.002226&t=h&z=18

Where you can see the excess dirt at the sides of the crater. Pretty neat image, too.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

OMG.

geologic-uss-enterprise.jpg

Beam me up, Scotty!

34.560509°N -103.797502°W

Edited by mooeypoo
Consecutive posts merged.

i wonder if zolar V said that with a hint of sarcasm... :P

that is probable if not impossible when possible is in question.

I bet i know what causes those square crater formationsss!

(drum roll)

(still drum roll)

ALIENS! with square instead of saucer shaped craft!

assuredly anyone with 4 eyes can see this! look at all the blast remnants of dirt and other ores that have fuzzed together. look they even drilled into the earths crust, possibly planting their EVIL ALIEN EGGS in some sort of nest!

>:D

Okay, so I thought this was a fun exercise, so here's my analysis for the first few pages (yeah, I'm not going to do this for 50+ images..)

Feel free to correct or tweak my assessments:

• Page 2, Page 3, Page 5: These are clearly quarries - the edges are surrounded by hills of sand or soil, you can literally see the digged out parts and the resulting "dunes" of sand, obviously removed from the quarry itself.
  • Page 4: This one's interesting. It didn't immediately strike me as a quarry (I was looking for the sand hills) but it has too many roads surrounding it perfectly to be a natural phenomena. Also, there are a bit of "edged" hills and the surroundings seems to be intentionally cleared. It seems to be another quarry with a lake in the middle.
  • Page 6: This isn't a square. It's round. It seems to be another man-made hole (possibly a reservoir or quarry), specially due to the roads around it, but whatever it is, it's definitely not square.
  • Page 7: I love this one. It looks like a hugging alien. OMG ALIEN CONSPIRACY RUUUUUN!!!
    Also, you can see the dunes around it, it looks like it was dug and not "impacted", and it has roads all around it, and I do believe there might even be a piece of equipment up on the northern part of it (zoom in); it's a quarry.
    It's also not square.

So.. I am going to stop here. Seems to me that most of those are quarries, some aren't even square and the rest are reservoirs. Some could be a nice practice in Pareidolia, but for the sake of keeping this forum sane I won't say what came to my mind when I saw them.

Also, we all know I have a dirty mind.

If the OP wants to show us a specific image (page number maybe?) of a crater that actually is square (and not round!) and is NOT a quarry, I'd be happy to examine it specifically.

This was fun.

~moo

Those are all the blast burns of powerful, geologically recent, explosions. And I have a growing database of nearly 600 of them.
Before I spent that much time putting together such a huge database, I would have made a simple phone call to New Mexico State University and asked for the professor who teaches their surveying technology courses, and maybe ask him if he knows what those craters are. Or the state department of engineering and surveying, they've probably been all over those sites.

I guess it's easier to sit hunched over a computer, totally in the dark, and just let your imagination run wild.