I don't think I am smart enough, really.

Marconis

I am a freshman studying biology, and I have a huge fear of failure and inadequacy within science studies in general. I go on science forums (such as this) and read science articles and stuff every now and then to get a taste of what it is like to be at the end of your undergrad studies and ready to move on to the big world, be it a job or graduate school. All of these people (you guys included), only a few years older than me, speak like they are geniuses, could run a lab with one eye open, know everything about anything within the field, etc. etc. When people are talking about science on campus, or say they are a some sort of a science major, I automatically assume they are so much more intelligent than I am. If I hear something cool, I think, "Why the hell don't I know about that?" I just can't even picture myself being able to speak intelligently on a scientific manner or something like that. I know it's sad to think that way, but it really puts me down and I hate it. For some reason I have this notion that I am unable to learn to the best of my ability. I think it has to do with the fact that I am not naturally good at math/science and was never a "top" student. I got a 5 on AP Biology...yay, so what? Also, I am very specific in what I like, and that of course is biology. I find chem interesting, but rather difficult, and I hate math but am working my ass off for it. Physics? Bleh, not for me. I feel this narrow-mindedness is going to put a damper on being a "scientific thinker". I really love science, am willing to work like hell to become knowledgeable, but I don't know if I am capable. I don't get what I am trying to say here,really, I just needed to vent. I made a very similar post about this a year ago, but since I am in college now it is all very real.

Well, you can't let your own insecurities stand in your way. In sum, you are your own worst enemy, and you need to learn how to have confidence in yourself. You may not have the same natural gifts as others, but you can make up for most of the gaps through effort, diligence, and patience.

In sum, instead of feeling sorry for yourself, channel that energy into working and studying hard. Regardless of the subject, the rest will work itself out. Good luck to you.

It is a fact of life that we are not all born equal. I know what you mean when some people here look like geniuses, but they are most likely a along way down the road of their respective interests compared to you, hence, the apparent disparity between you and them...they have done their time.

Intelligence is relative. No matter how clever you are (including some of the 'smart' ones here) there is always someone 'out there' capable of making you feel intellectually inadequate....it is a common experience for everyone.

If you can fulfil your potential...that is as much as you can ask of yourself. Once you have done this you can be content.

As a matter of fact, to pinch some of iNOW's words, most of the Geniuses in history did not bring about acts of brilliance spontaneously, they achieved through Effort, Diligence and Patience...it is no different for them! :)

Edited by StringJunky

All of these people (you guys included), only a few years older than me, speak like they are geniuses, could run a lab with one eye open, know everything about anything within the field, etc. etc.

Well, they are bigmouths, then. A few years older than you means that they are still undergrad or maybe just grad students. Very few will be able to really run a lab (as opposed to go in lab and do what they are being told to) and no one knows everything within a given field.

If they believe that, they are in for a nosedive. That being said, you are still just starting off. At your level almost no one will already have a real inkling what science really is about and how it is conducted in a research setting. Do not be distracted by others or thoughts how you think things should be.

The most important bit: build your own knowledge foundation. This is what undergrad studies are all about. You are not (yet) being trained being a scientist, but you are there to learn the basics. The more solid you can make the knowledge, the easier the transition from learning science to doing science will be.

Do not overestimate things like "talent" or being "naturally good" at something. This is way overrated. Working hard and learning how to learn beats the crap out of talent (but being lazy) every time.

You're being too hard on yourself. Nobody is expecting you to revolutionize biology within the next few years. All of my science friends have had the same fears of not being good enough for their future careers.

I've recently graduated and I still don't know anything, if that makes you feel any better.