Is color one wave of light or many waves together?

seriously disabled

Do you mean one wavelength, or one oscillation?

Assuming you mean wavelength, it depends on the circumstances. Color is not only dependent on the wavelength, but how your eyes and brain interpret the signal they get. Green can be green because it's one wavelength, but it can also be green because it's multiple wavelengths, e.g. adding red yellow and blue light.

Edited by swansont

Assuming you mean wavelength, it depends on the circumstances. Color is not only dependent on the wavelength, but how your eyes and brain interpret the signal they get. Green can be green because it's one wavelength, but it can also be green because it's multiple wavelengths, e.g. adding red yellow and blue light.

No. What I meant is whether the color green is only one electromagnetic wave or many electromagnetic waves together. If it's many waves, does the color get brighter?

No. What I meant is whether the color green is only one electromagnetic wave or many electromagnetic waves together. If it's many waves, does the color get brighter?

Light is quantised into packets, when we see the colour green photons (many of them) are hitting the light receptors in our eyes in such a pattern as our brain thinks green.

You can build detectors to detect a single green photon though.

"Many waves" isn't a well-defined term. There is a minimum amount of energy you can have, and that can be green light. You can have many of these, which we call photons, and have brighter green light. If you look at the wave aspect, the wave will have a higher amplitude.

"Many waves" isn't a well-defined term. There is a minimum amount of energy you can have, and that can be green light. You can have many of these, which we call photons, and have brighter green light. If you look at the wave aspect, the wave will have a higher amplitude.

No what I meant is what if there are 3 or 4 electromagnetic waves of the color green entering the eye simultaneously?

If this is the case, what will we see then?

Edited by Uri

I'm guessing this topic is about the confusing explanations of light. I recall using the program Paintbrush (sort of like an older version of MS Paint) as a little kid and playing around with the RGB thing to see different combinations of colours, later reading the section on colour of dad's physics book, and got the impression that for light, colours other than red, green, and blue were typically the products of those two... including white itself. Of course, that semeed to contradicted what I learned in art class, but that was supposedly about pigments anyway so it wasn't too confusing.

But when learning about how light is made of "photons" how higher energy photons have shorter wavelengths, and how it's more of a continuous thing than a definite thing, then reading elsewhere about how prisms separate white light into the colours of the rainbow, but don't separate one colour into its "constituents" it just seems right contradictory. What's the real story?

But what if it's a mix of equal parts blue photons, green photons, and yellow photons? Will it still look green? If so, would a prism separate those colours?

No because blue, green and yellow are the fundamental colors of light. They are called primary colors. Light with a wavelength of 570–580 nm is yellow, light with a wavelength of roughly 440–490 nm is blue and light with a wavelength of roughly 520–570 nanometres is green.

White light is the effect of combining the visible colors of light in equal proportions.

actually whit would need to be composed of red green and blue.

this evidenced by the screen you're looking at right now. one that used yellow instead of red would not be able to display red or even orange. magenta would also be out of the question.

this is due to the fact that humans have only three different types of colour detecting cells(okay, some people have a mutation which gives them a 4th that does yellow but they're few and far between) one for red one for green and one for blue. this is why you can make the whole visible spectrum(more or less) with only three colours. otherwise we'd need some sort of variable wavelength emitter for tv screens

But what if it's a mix of equal parts blue photons, green photons, and yellow photons? Will it still look green? If so, would a prism separate those colours?

Whatever color you got from the mixture, the individual wavelengths would separate when sent through a prism.

actually whit would need to be composed of red green and blue.

this evidenced by the screen you're looking at right now. one that used yellow instead of red would not be able to display red or even orange. magenta would also be out of the question.

this is due to the fact that humans have only three different types of colour detecting cells(okay, some people have a mutation which gives them a 4th that does yellow but they're few and far between) one for red one for green and one for blue. this is why you can make the whole visible spectrum(more or less) with only three colours. otherwise we'd need some sort of variable wavelength emitter for tv screens

... any proof of this? Don't get me wrong, you seem to know what you're talking about, just want a source to check on since people on the Internet don't necessarily mean what they say.

In any case, if we have cells for red, cells for green, and cells for blue, then how would we tell the difference between photons of green light that are closer to red than to blue and photons of green light that are closer to blue than to red? (Or can we?)

well, iNow has posted links for me. if you don't trust wikipedia too much then look at the references on those pages.

I'm actually not inclined to look through the articles or their sources right now... but I'm convinced that I believe you. I'll probably look into them later.