Why I love science.

Daecon

Why do people like to think these things "laugh in the face of physics"? Every one of these substances has a physical nature understood by science. Shouldn't it be "7 Man-Made Substances that Laugh in the Face of Those Who Don't Understand Physics And Are Jealous"?

I think some people just want to be able to take any set of hard and fast "rules" and then point to something outside of them and say, "HA! So much for your rules! I am now laughing in your face!"

But I hate it when they make it sound like physicists are sitting around, scratching their heads without a clue to how ferrofluids or aerogels work. Don't most people realize that Newton had his limits? I guess not.

Science, unlike some other pursuits, will not scoff and proclaim, "You do not exist!" if it finds something that truly violated an existing law. We don't rewrite the facts, we rewrite the laws. (see e.g. quantum mechanics and relativity)

Remember that Cracked isn't a science journal or anything, it's a popular culture humour website.

They're not saying that these substances violate physics, but that they challenge common preconceptions of how physics is expected to work from a layman's perspective.

At least, that's the way I've always seen it.

Remember that Cracked isn't a science journal or anything, it's a popular culture humour website.

They're not saying that these substances violate physics, but that they challenge common preconceptions of how physics is expected to work from a layman's perspective.

At least, that's the way I've always seen it.

I really didn't mean to be so negative in my observation. Knee-jerk reaction to someone laughing in a friend's face (me and physics, we're tight).

I do thank you for the links. I hadn't seen the aerogel one before. That stuff is amazing! I need a small rectangle of it for under my laptop (which I actually have in my lap) since it can get quite hot. The aerogel they have for lining clothing is only about $4-5/s.f., very affordable.