Robot wars

jgerlica

n.

A mechanical device that sometimes resembles a human and is capable of performing a variety of often complex human tasks on command or by being programmed in advance.

A machine or device that operates automatically or by remote control.

A person who works mechanically without original thought, especially one who responds automatically to the commands of others.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Czech, from robota, drudgery. See orbh- in Indo-European Roots

I believe they would qualify under the second definition.

i despise that show.

can anyone tell me why these things are called 'ROBOTS'???

when all that they are a fancy RC thingie on crack.

But they are great fun to pilot and destroy things with :)

n.

A mechanical device that sometimes resembles a human and is capable of performing a variety of often complex human tasks on command or by being programmed in advance.

A machine or device that operates automatically or by remote control.

A person who works mechanically without original thought' date=' especially one who responds automatically to the commands of others.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Czech, from robota, drudgery. See orbh- in Indo-European Roots

I believe they would qualify under the second definition.[/quote']

To, me the first definition sounds more like an android. :-)Oh, and her resson they are called robots is because it sounds better than calling the show remote-contolled machine wars. :)

Here's the definition according to Merriam Webster.

Main Entry: ro·bot

Pronunciation: 'rO-"bät, -b&t

Function: noun

Etymology: Czech, from robota compulsory labor; akin to Old High German arabeit trouble, Latin orbus orphaned -- more at ORPHAN

1 a : a machine that looks like a human being and performs various complex acts (as walking or talking) of a human being; also : a similar but fictional machine whose lack of capacity for human emotions is often emphasized b : an efficient insensitive person who functions automatically

2 : a device that automatically performs complicated often repetitive tasks

3 : a mechanism guided by automatic controls

- ro·bot·ism /'rO-"bä-"ti-z&m, -b&-/ noun

Here's the definition according to Merriam Webster.

Main Entry: ro·bot

Pronunciation: 'rO-"bät' date=' -b&t

Function: noun

Etymology: Czech, from robota compulsory labor; akin to Old High German arabeit trouble, Latin orbus orphaned -- more at ORPHAN

1 a : a machine that looks like a human being and performs various complex acts (as walking or talking) of a human being; also : a similar but fictional machine whose lack of capacity for human emotions is often emphasized b : an efficient insensitive person who functions automatically

2 : a device that automatically performs complicated often repetitive tasks

3 : a mechanism guided by automatic controls

- ro·bot·ism /'rO-"bä-"ti-z&m, -b&-/ noun[/quote']

Hmm, it seems that Sayonara was right and it does do repeated tasks, and I was wrong because a robot can be a mechanism guided by automatic controls. :P:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

why dont you make a robot with a mini-tesla coil ontop of, go into the arena and discharge the tesla coil all over the other robots, you'd need a powerfull battery, but no armour of any other form of attack weaponary...

the robots arent sealed, so theres no faraday cage, the skin effect wont come into play, as your only electroctuing the other robot, with the hopes of fryin its electrics,

come on, all the robots are metalic and will conduct the electrical current, its a great idea!