The Ethics thread

matter

That is different then just finding a dollar on the sidewalk. I'd pick up a dollar if nobody was around and it's on the sidewalk. How do you return it then? Post it on a billboard?
I didn't mean to imply I was more noble than you, Cap'n. I agree, if it's on the street with no clear owner, even if it's $100 it's meant for the first person who finds it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the way I see it. That way, I've probably made about as much as I have lost, so it seems to balance out in the end. I don't feel bad about it because I've never found a huge amount.

If the error is correctable (being given too much change; seeing a person drop their wallet/purse/money etc.) then I correct it.

I suppose the question I would have to ask myself is: How much would I have to find before I handed it to the police? I have sometimes lost £5 or £10 or even £20 out of my pocket. That's my carelessness and the good fortune of whoever finds it. I feel the same if I find amounts like that. But at some point; i.e. at some value, I think I would feel wrong about keeping it. I wonder what I would do?

well I can Honestly say, that money I find I do keep, and when I get home I put it in a little pottery bowl, and the end of the year I give it to charity.

as for finding a huge amount of money, it would depend on how suspiscious it looked, taking it could invite all sorts of trouble, criminal gangs or the like.

phoning the police imediately would be the safest thing to do, and if no one claims it after a period of time, you get to keep it anyway :)

that way the police take all the heat off for you if a gang is looking for their drug money or stolen cash.

well I can Honestly say, that money I find I do keep, and when I get home I put it in a little pottery bowl, and the end of the year I give it to charity.

Wow. I never thought of something like that. I think you may have found the most ethical solution to the problem. Very good idea.

well the odd part is, is that I still I feel just as happy when I pick it up and keep it for that, as I would if were going to spend it. not that I`ve ever found a large amount of cash in the past, but I`m just as happy if I find a penny and keep it with me all day, it`s like that good luck thing; "Find a penny, pick it up, and all the day, you`ll have good luck" :)

"Find a penny, pick it up, and all the day, you`ll have good luck" :)
My mom used to say that. She understood that Life is in the details. Thanks for making my day YT!

Has anyone ever found something besides money (cool shades, expensive pen, etc) that had no apparent owner that they kept or were tempted to keep?

OK, lotta honest folks out there!

Next scenario: You have one year to live, after which time you will simply drop dead with no lingering pain or illness.

What would you do in that year's time and how would you finance it?

I would read a lot. As much as I could. And the library is free so that would be helpful. Since this is the ethics thread, I'm assuming the ethical answer would be working for charities and helping people in need. I probably wouldn't do that. It just isn't as fun for me as learning new stuff. Oh, and I'd attend lots of college classes becuase I haven't been there yet. I don't know how I'd fund that though. Take out a lone and tell them I'd have it for them in 366 days?

OK' date=' lotta honest folks out there!

Next scenario: You have one year to live, after which time you will simply drop dead with no lingering pain or illness.

What would you do in that year's time and how would you finance it?[/quote']

Id sell everything I have and go live with Buddist monks.Maybe even achieve a higher state of being...

My mom used to say that. She understood that Life is in the details. Thanks for making my day YT!

Has anyone ever found something besides money (cool shades' date=' expensive pen, etc) that had no apparent owner that they kept or were tempted to keep?[/quote']

Well, I once returned a wallet to a police station and was treated with a extremely dubious policeman who really didn't believe me when I told him I hadn't opened it. It took about 10 min to convince him.

The most interesting thing I found was a mother of pearl ID disk from the Somme. As the owner lost it in between 1911 and 1916 I really didn't think he'd want it back.