• Designer Babies
    • Fusion Power Plants
    • Einstein's Demise
    • Nuclear War

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say all of them are reliant on some major hurdle. Should we get over it, I see most of them coming true. I don't think teleportation will happen. I don't see the detection of gravitons very soon. Should we see nuclear war, there's a good chance or lifetime will be over. I would rank them, in order of most likely:

-Designer Babies

-Mars Colonization

-Fusion Power Plants

-Longer Lifespan

-Nuclear War

-Graviton Detection

-Teleportation

[Edit] Well you changed one on me. I would still say it goes in the same spot, though.

I would think mars colonisation would come first as people have already started sending probes to mars. Designers babies, I don't think so for a long time. The human genome project isnt complete and won't be for a very long time.

By the way, the gravitron detection is not there anymore, its "Einstein's Demise"

I guess that is dependent on what blike ment by "designer". I saw it as saying that we can make the odds of a baby having a certain trate (brown hair) better or worse dependent on the parents wishes. I guess it could be saying that all physical and mental characteristics are completely controled. If that is so, I would lower it on my list.

yeah, that is what he meant. The idea is that people (scientists) can decide what traits are passed on from the father and mother to the baby. Eventually, everyone in the world would look like a model and everyone would be smart, and the science forums would be full of people!

what in the world are the designer babies?!?

by the way, i voted for all of them, which i guess is the equivalent to none of the above. :P

{edit}

what exactly do you mean by:

Don't you think that mars colonisation would be a bit earlier, like 2020 or something

my idea of colonization is setting up a long term facility or society on a piece of land, in this case mars and not a simple mars walk for a few hours and then return to earth.

I would think that the scientists would (if possible) increase the average lifespan by much more than that, definitely. Not only 5 years!

to what end?

i personally wouldn't want to live that long 'till i loose my sanity and be unable to control my bodily functions

unless ofcourse they develop something that extends or improves one's cognitions.....