am i sick?

cameron marical

hello, im hoping someone with a medical background reads this.

ive been having these things in the back of my throat, i think its just a build up of mucus. its in my sineses, and in the back of my throat. its not really sore. it just feels, well, almost swollen. when i loogy up stuff from my throat or sineses it kind of eases up, but not really unless its alot.gross i know.

i dont think its strep throat because i feel fine other than this. i get this sometimes, just like almost every 2-4 months. it usually lasts like a week at the most. usually just a couple of days. today is my 4th day this time.

3 others in my family say theyre having similiar symptoms too. my dad thinks its allergies, but, were not all blood related, and we have totally different lifestyles, so i dont think its all just the same allergie, on the same day, in the same spot.{throat}. it might be though.

i have gone to have this checked out too, but then it was different, i was getting fevers with it wich were really extreme, and it was weekly. the guy said i had{had, as in past tense} strep throat wich developed into rhematic fever. well, i looked that up online and it turns out thats a pretty serious illness, but he acted like it was no big deal,and that it was totally gone and i was homeward bound.well ive been eating healthy, am on the swim team for my school, wich gives me the hardest workout in my life{wich, i read that swimming is great for the heart, but thats not the only reason why i joined, i also just like swimming}, and take coq10 daily.

but i dont think that this is strep throat{ and i hope its not too} because this doesnt really feel the same as last time, and i feel fine other than the throat. please, can anyone help me out on this?

You don't have to be related with someone by blood in order for both of you to experience allergies. I agree with your dad.

Also, depending on what time of year it is, you may have different symptoms. Check out the wiki on seasonal allergies (ragweed, cedar, grass/trees, and others depending on where you live). You may also have perenial allergies (things like mold and dust). An allergy test may be the best thing for you.

you really should see your Doctor with Any medical concerns rather than get "advice" from the internet.

I most certainly agree...

cameron; My medical experience involves only being married to nurse, for awhile. But common sense tells me your *repeating* problem/feelings are not a good sign. Were your tonsils removed? How long ago did you have strep throat? Does the soreness also involve a runny nose or other sinus problems? Being a swimmer, your upper tarsal could be telling you many things. I assume you a younger person, wondering why your Dad hasn't insisted you see a doctor...

no my tonsils werent removed, but i looked online at tonsilites and i dont think thats it, the sore throat is the only shared symptom, and mine is more in the sineses than my throat.

strep was about 2 maybe 3 months ago. it was a while ago.

no, im not really getting many other symptoms but this one, i have a relatively clogged nose.

ya, im 15. we want to waste money, thats why im going online, instead of seeing a doctor, we kind of blew alot of money on my rheumatic fever thing, because after that, we went to see a second opinion, but, we saw the wrong doctor, he was a pulmonoligist or something that deals with the lungs, but we still had to pay. it sucked, we got screwed. and i have 3 brothers and sisters, and we dont have much money. but its cool.

i looked online some more, and i think whats happened it that my sineses were clogged, i think thats why i get these regularly, maybe my sineses are smaller than normal or something, but ya. and i think thats how i got strep throat last time, my sineses were clogged for a while, wich let some bacteria find its way to a little paradise of mucus, which we left untreated, wich possibly led to rheumatic fever, we still dont know for sure. but, ive been drinking extra water, and am gonna go inhale alot of steam, thats supposed to open up those bauggers. if only i had some wasabi....

cameron; My medical experience involves only being married to nurse, for awhile.

That's funny.

To echo YT's responce but perhaps more emphatically....

PLEASE, CAMERON, GO SEE A REAL DOCTOR

We don't want to lose you.

Strep Throat can seem like something else, or like it is getting better sometimes.

But left untreated, it can quickly turn into Rheumatic Fever, involving your heart valves and brain, even after just a couple of weeks.

Edited by DrDNA

Yeah.

Well I can only speak from personal experience.

Years ago, I had what I thought was just another episode of allergies......with the usual sore throat from nasal drainage.

I wasn't even that sick, esp after the first week-10 days. I didn't even miss a day of work.

After about 3.5-4 weeks I went to the Dr. to get my allergy Rx renewed (which he wouldn't refill over the phone since it had been so long) and he chewed my butt up and down..........royally.

I had Strep throat the whole time and he almost admitted me to the hospital.

no my tonsils werent removed, but i looked online at tonsilites and i dont think thats it, the sore throat is the only shared symptom, and mine is more in the sineses than my throat.

strep was about 2 maybe 3 months ago. it was a while ago.

no, im not really getting many other symptoms but this one, i have a relatively clogged nose.

ya, im 15. we want to waste money, thats why im going online, instead of seeing a doctor, we kind of blew alot of money on my rheumatic fever thing, because after that, we went to see a second opinion, but, we saw the wrong doctor, he was a pulmonoligist or something that deals with the lungs, but we still had to pay. it sucked, we got screwed. and i have 3 brothers and sisters, and we dont have much money. but its cool.

i looked online some more, and i think whats happened it that my sineses were clogged, i think thats why i get these regularly, maybe my sineses are smaller than normal or something, but ya. and i think thats how i got strep throat last time, my sineses were clogged for a while, wich let some bacteria find its way to a little paradise of mucus, which we left untreated, wich possibly led to rheumatic fever, we still dont know for sure. but, ive been drinking extra water, and am gonna go inhale alot of steam, thats supposed to open up those bauggers. if only i had some wasabi....

The one word you spelled correctly was 'RHEUMATIC FEVER', tells me you may actually have had that. What your thinking led to what are not only wild guesses but logically not connected. RF, is a Heart (murmur) condition, generally involving the heart being out of place. Symptoms are sore ankles, usually not allowing the person to walk. You are either a hypochondriac, seeking Internet pals, or have a serious problem, NEEDING MEDICAL ATTENTION...

You are 15, assume in school and that school has a Nurse. Go to him/her and tell your story. Aside from being FREE, the Nurse can direct you other FREE service (based on your scenario). I'll add with your medical history, you have a doctor, who would see you in an instant on any request, payment being the furthest thing from his/her mind.

I realize, I am being a little tough on you. Your story doesn't add up, but in the event I am wrong, you need medical attention, psychiatric help if I am hitting a nerve...GOOD LUCK.

Just out of curiosity CM during the last few days of feeling sick or just after do you get a funny taste in your mouth; kind of like the smell of moth balls? Can you squeeze the back of your throat, like when you try to push out phlegm and produce little hard balls of a off white/yellowish colour from your tonsils? I would seriously think about who you are going to vote for when you reach the right age. Americans need a government who will put a public medical system in place. Anyway tell your doctor if that is the case, it could really help them give you a proper diagnosis.

...kind of like the smell of moth balls?

I'm not familiar with that smell; I could never get their little legs apart.

I know, I know, stupid joke. But I firmly believe that childish joke kept me from getting fired once. Of course, I ended up getting fired a few months later but still...

I know, I know, stupid joke. But I firmly believe that childish joke kept me from getting fired once. Of course, I ended up getting fired a few months later but still...

lol

you really should see your Doctor with Any medical concerns rather than get "advice" from the internet.

Okay, so how about this one.

The podcast is called Podcast Doctor. It discusses many things, however, I suspect that it might not help what has been discussed in this thread.

thanks guys. im fine now. i went to the doctor, and he said it was just a common cold. ya, i was just worried because if i get strep throaght or a similiar thing because i guess it could weaken my heart. youch. i know, it sucks.

oh, and hey mr. Jackson33, im not a hypocondriac bud, and just because i spelt a couple words wrong, doesnt mean that i have them. so you can just shove those acusations where the sun doesnt shine.

ha, i like it.

oh, and hey mr. Jackson33, im not a hypocondriac bud, and just because i spelt a couple words wrong, doesnt mean that i have them. so you can just shove those acusations where the sun doesnt shine.

ha, i like it.

Happy you went to the doctor, what you should have done in the first place...Your story however still doesn't add up and RM follow up is extensive.

Three of four cases also involve kid's 5-15, which you are/were in...so advancements in treatment have probably changed follow up...

Normally I wouldn't even post on any medical problem, but having had RF, when I was 12, placed on penicillin for a year and aspirin for another year, have today both an enlarged and out of place heart, your post bothered me...It was the fact you DID spell (the complicated word) correctly, that made me think, you probably did have it, not any condemnation of your spelling. Strep, by the way is OFTEN followed by RF...For the record, now nearly five times your age, have never had heart problems since.

Okay, so how about this one.

The podcast is called Podcast Doctor. It discusses many things, however, I suspect that it might not help what has been discussed in this thread.

it doesn`t make a jot of difference.

Anything said, Opined or given in way of advice over the internet or out a symptoms book or some well meaning Muppet in a bar is absolutely NO Substitute for Seeing a medical Professional!

stuff like that is ok for Discussion sake only, and Nothing more.

the OP was seeking advice, ergo the stance I took.