Battlestar Galactica (Warning: spoilers)

ydoaPs

What's up with Kara? If Ellen is the fifth, what's going on with her?

During Chief's flashback on Earth, it looked like a lot more than 12 cylon models.

Theories anyone?

Maybe all but the 12 were destroyed in the attack.

Ellen said everything was in place to download. Maybe they were the first to be reborn.

Edited by ydoaPs

OK I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon, but would it be entirely too confusing to start watching BSG now without having seen the eariler stuff, or should i find a way to watch the older stuff first?

It depends on how well you can piece together the story line. IIRC, you can watch some episodes on scifi.com, but I'm not sure how many. If you can find the "Catch the Frack Up" special online, it's a quick rundown of what happened until Friday's episode(It's available for free on iTunes, btw).

I was wondering if it was some kind of timespace-wrinkle-warp-thingy associated with that nebula (I think that's what it was) she got lost in.

And Ellen as the fifth? I'm not real happy about this, but I'm trying to be open minded.

I like your theory though. Mine got blown apart 15 minutes into the show so I'm still kinda pouty about it.

And that whole sequence with Dualla just broke my heart. I've always liked her character, as little as she's been involved. And I've been thinking about taking up stalking her as a hobby. I could do some time for a girl like that.

I don't know, man... Ellen surprised the hell out of me. What if they are ALL cylons? That's what Chief's flashback did for me... I was like... "Hmm, maybe all earthlings were cylons, and it's just that only 5 of them were "special" according to the ancient books." Anyway, blew my mind. If Kara is not a cylon, then she MUST have gone through some kind of dimensional thingy where she existed in multiple realities. I dunno. Looks like it's going to be a good season though.

I don't know, man... Ellen surprised the hell out of me. What if they are ALL cylons? That's what Chief's flashback did for me... I was like... "Hmm, maybe all earthlings were cylons, and it's just that only 5 of them were "special" according to the ancient books." Anyway, blew my mind. If Kara is not a cylon, then she MUST have gone through some kind of dimensional thingy where she existed in multiple realities. I dunno. Looks like it's going to be a good season though.

They said earlier in the season that the five have been to Earth, so I think that maybe these five(the originators of the downloading) may have made the other 7. Earth is definitely all cylon. So, the Human religion is actually what should be the Cylon religion.

Moo has an interesting hypothesis regarding the situation.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got to say, yourdadonapogostick, tonights episode gave me new found appreciation of Kara. I think the Maxim article may have been influencing my views about the delicious hotness of Boomer, but Kara was ALL over it tonight! Not only was she the first to see what was going on, but she was the one who led. That's pretty hot, dude. I might post more when the tequila has been metabolized (nummmy anejo), but I wonder how others feel about the mutiny. I literally yelled out loud (frak yeah!! ... just in non-battlestar speak) when Adama and Saul neutralized the monkeys hauling them to the brig. My dog almost shit himself from surprise. Poor little dude, doesn't quite grasp television despite his teachings. I'd have been good in the military. Too bad our armed forces discriminate against diabetics. :mad: Oh yeah, my point... Kara is a hot leader. I'd have fought harder for her probably if she'd appeared in Maxim like Grace Park. ;)

I was just shocked. Watching Gata lead the mutiny was almost surreal. Characters we've come to know and like turning colors like that.. And I think what really makes it work so well is that Gata's rage is so sincere.

I did literally jump out of my seat when Kara freed Lee. I miss this Kara. I just love how she kicks ass.

And then jumped out of my seat again when Adama turned around and basically called that dude a chicken shit and dared him to fire his weapon on him. Two seconds later they're armed and it's on.

Yeah, this episode was crazy. Damn good show.

I'm not sure. This series has always been persistent about forgiveness when it comes to insubordination and Adama is already showing sympathies to the mutineers. I don't put it past them to find a way to resolve this situation before the characters have crossed the point of no return, even though it seems like they've already crossed it. But, it can definitely happen.

I really thought Laura was going to save the day, and she yet might. It's easy to see the consequence of her presidential abdication as a major reason why this has all spiraled out of control. So I thought it was all a set up to set the stage for a Roslin oratory achievement at unity.

Whatever the case, it looks like next week it's going to get worse.

Point taken. Adama does care about his men, despite their mutineering and Karas desire to shoot them in the back as they run away like little girls. :D

Yeah, no kidding. I forgot about that, that's probably how Gata and the VP will take a bullet. Kara doesn't play verbal games. When she says to stand down, motherfrackers better listen.

I was just shocked. Watching Gata lead the mutiny was almost surreal. Characters we've come to know and like turning colors like that.. And I think what really makes it work so well is that Gata's rage is so sincere.

Did you by chance catch the "webisodes" they did in between seasons? It really didn't have a lot to do with the overall plot, but it definitely hits on why Gaeta got all psychotic on the cylons.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
Yeah, no kidding. I forgot about that, that's probably how Gata and the VP will take a bullet. Kara doesn't play verbal games. When she says to stand down, motherfrackers better listen.

Well the last time Kara and Gaeta had a disagreement she shot him in the leg - he should know what to expect by now. :D

I doubt the Admiral will be as forgiving this time around.

Did you by chance catch the "webisodes" they did in between seasons? It really didn't have a lot to do with the overall plot, but it definitely hits on why Gaeta got all psychotic on the cylons.

I sure didn't. But I'm looking for them now. Looks like they still have them on Scifi's website.

Well the last time Kara and Gaeta had a disagreement she shot him in the leg - he should know what to expect by now.

I doubt the Admiral will be as forgiving this time around.

Man' date=' I just don't know. Isn't the traditional punishment for mutiny a sentence of death? And he couldn't even bring himself to shoot a mutineer in the heat of it all.

I think you're essentially right though, I doubt the Admiral will be [b']as[/b] forgiving, but I'm not sure of anything beyond that. This show has just the right element of unpredictability.

I wouldn't even put it past them to kill off Adama, as next week's preview seems to suggest. I sure hope not, but their writers are bold.

Edit: Ok, so I just got done watching the webisodes and that sure does explain Gaeta's cylon aversion. I guess I'm not clear on the "list" though. Why kill them? I mean, as far as I gathered they were just people that Gaeta hadn't seen in a long time and were essentially MIA. I'm not clear on why the cylons thought a list from Gaeta was necessary to kill folks. Why not just arbitrarily kill whoever? I must have missed what made these particular people special.

Edited by ParanoiA

Man, I just don't know. Isn't the traditional punishment for mutiny a sentence of death? And he couldn't even bring himself to shoot a mutineer in the heat of it all.

I think you're essentially right though, I doubt the Admiral will be as forgiving, but I'm not sure of anything beyond that. This show has just the right element of unpredictability.

I wouldn't even put it past them to kill off Adama, as next week's preview seems to suggest. I sure hope not, but their writers are bold.

He's liable to be more lenient on people who "got caught up" in the mutiny, than those that formulated it. I'm not sure what will happen to Gaeta and Zeric but it will probably be harsh.

Edit: Ok, so I just got done watching the webisodes and that sure does explain Gaeta's cylon aversion. I guess I'm not clear on the "list" though. Why kill them? I mean, as far as I gathered they were just people that Gaeta hadn't seen in a long time and were essentially MIA. I'm not clear on why the cylons thought a list from Gaeta was necessary to kill folks. Why not just arbitrarily kill whoever? I must have missed what made these particular people special.

I think that because Gaeta was also sending intel to the resistance that he was working with the 8 under the belief she was helping (Athena was a sympathetic 8, so it wouldn't be a stretch) him aid the colonists - and the list was regarding people involved in the resistance.

She must have found out he was involved, and pretended to help him instead of turning him over to the cylons - and used him in the process.

My money is on the fact that Gata and the VP are going to take a bullet soon.

You called it. Although I was really hoping the admiral would just walk onto the bridge and plug one in Gaeta's head without saying a word. I swear I spent half the episode cussing at the TV.

I am surprised they only executed those two though. I guess I don't understand mutiny and forgiveness. Sure, those 'caught up' in it perhaps don't deserve death, but it's hard to reconcile all of these participants, some of them taking a leadership role, involved in it going essentially unpunished. Unless of course, I'm jumping to that conclusion. I didn't notice anything that would suggest otherwise.

This show always leaves me wanting more.

Here is my theory. The original population on Earth was human (or some variant on human). They figured out how to download their consciousness into a 'cylon' if they died, thereby making themselves immortal. They also managed to make artificial life forms (the other cylons). Some sort of interstellar war erupted, but probably human vs human, not cylons, cutting Earth off from the others (or maybe they had already been separated by some other event). The attack took them by surprise and only 5 managed to download (the final five).

I suspect the series will end with the Gallactica crew figuring out how to do the rebirth as a cylon thing, and then when the Gallactica and the fleet are finally destroyed by Cavil, they (or more likely a subset) will resurrect as cylons. I also think this is what Kara has already done.

Interesting ideas. They won't necessarily need to explain everything this season, though, as in the beginning of 2010 there is a new series coming out that is a prequel called "Caprica." They have the option of using that series as a big explanatory method.

Here is my theory. The original population on Earth was human (or some variant on human). They figured out how to download their consciousness into a 'cylon' if they died, thereby making themselves immortal. They also managed to make artificial life forms (the other cylons). Some sort of interstellar war erupted, but probably human vs human, not cylons, cutting Earth off from the others (or maybe they had already been separated by some other event). The attack took them by surprise and only 5 managed to download (the final five).

I suspect the series will end with the Gallactica crew figuring out how to do the rebirth as a cylon thing, and then when the Gallactica and the fleet are finally destroyed by Cavil, they (or more likely a subset) will resurrect as cylons. I also think this is what Kara has already done.

Very cool theory. Would seem to fit very well. Damn, I hope this is it, I like it.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, after last night's episode I have a new, stupid theory. I think Kara is definitely Daniel, post genetic corruption. But, I also think Baltar is Daniel, pre-genetic corruption. I'm basing this off of cylon "projection" which, as far as I know, hasn't been introduced into the story until now. Kara seemed to project her father in the piano player that turned out not to exist, which is the same thing Baltar's been doing, involuntarily so to speak, with Caprica 6.

Ok, after last night's episode I have a new, stupid theory. I think Kara is definitely Daniel, post genetic corruption. But, I also think Baltar is Daniel, pre-genetic corruption. I'm basing this off of cylon "projection" which, as far as I know, hasn't been introduced into the story until now.

Projection was introduced very shortly after Baltar left New Caprica with the Cylons.

Kara seemed to project her father in the piano player that turned out not to exist, which is the same thing Baltar's been doing, involuntarily so to speak, with Caprica 6.

Don't forget that Caprica 6 projected Baltar as well, which implies a particular connection between them that they are both unaware of as yet.

Projection was introduced very shortly after Baltar left New Caprica with the Cylons.

Don't forget that Caprica 6 projected Baltar as well, which implies a particular connection between them that they are both unaware of as yet.

Oh, that's right... :doh: I can't believe I forgot about Caprica 6 and when she projected Baltar.

I might have missed a lot of detail there too, because I remember not liking the way the show was going about the time we found ourselves on a Cylon ship, getting into their personal drama. I watched the clock and prayed they would move on, and well, they didn't, and now I'm a little more into it.