Flax seed - health benefits.

murulidhara

I read that flax seed is rich in anti oxidants and has high fibres and removes toxins from our body. Also many advice to take flax seed in daiet. Is linseed the same as flax seed? Can it be taken as powder or oil? How much to be taken in a day?

Also i read that flax seed powder should not turns poisionus if we keep it long. Is it so? Thanks in advance

Flax seed is one of the only products from nature that are high in content with alpha-linolenic acid, although your body only needs a couple of grams per day. It also has linoleic acid, of which your body needs about 6 grams per day, though in recent years, this allowance has come under some scrutiny and the recommended amount is debated, perhaps since it is so prevalent in many seeds and grains. Your body is capable of manufacturing these two essential fatty acids on its own, but only if you intake the fatty acids present in fish oil (cold water fish) which are then broken down into the other ones.

These essential fatty acids that are present in flax are not antioxidants, though they might have fiber. I have never heard of it having an anti-toxic effect. You only need to take about 1 or 2 tablespoons of seeds per day to get what you need. Linseed is different. It is also made as an oil, which is much more potent, but like I said, you don't really need that much. Alpha-linolenic acid does have very significant anti-inflammatory properties, though it does not compare to ibuprofen. The oil does denature if you do not keep it refrigerated and if you cook with it, it will also ruin it, as well. I have never heard of the seed turning poisonous over time.

You need to be a little careful of claims about anti-oxidants. There is no doubt that a reasonable dose of a variety of antioxidants is good for health. Many food dogmatists have extrapolated from this fact to a belief that large amounts of some particular anti-oxidant will confer excessive health benefits. However, there is no credible scientific evidence to support this idea.

The best approach to good health through diet is to embrace variety, While a small dose of flax seed may be useful, try to get a wide variety of antioxidants and other good nutrients through consuming a wide variety of fruit, vegetables, nuts and seeds.

Don't let other people's obsessions with any one food lead you into overdoing just one.

I just tried out some fish oil today again after using flax oil for the past few months and I can tell you that it is noticeably much, much better. I just thought I would let you know. The two products in fish oil which are so beneficial, EPA and DHA, are really so much more important to get. When you consume flax oil, the two omega fats in flax oil are processed by your body which helps produce EPA and DHA internally, but your body does it very inefficiently, at a rate of about 10%. Whereas, any fish oil you consume already has these two products in them already processed. While your body may need alpha-linolenic acid and linoleic acid, it can break down the fish oil to produce these. However, the benefits extolled by the EPA and DHA are far more beneficial and you get much more bang for your buck with fish oil than with flax.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know where I can buy Flax Seed, Flax Seed Oil, or Flax Seed Powder online?

BTW:

I take both Fish Oil AND Flax Seed Oil capsules supplements (why not both?) plus use Olive Oil in protein shakes, with bread, salads, substitute it in many recipes instead of butter (eg, it makes corn bread taste MUCH better)....

....and my HDL is nice and high.

DrDNA

I take no food supplements whatever - just concentrate on a good balanced diet, and regular healthy exercise. At age 60 my HDL is very high, my LDL is very low, my blood pressure is very low, my resting pulse is very low, my ECG is excellent, my lungs X ray totally clear.

Food supplements for normal healthy people are simply a way for a bunch of con artists to make a lot of money. The only ones who need them are those with special medical needs, who are put onto supplements by their doctors. In other words, food supplements are for sick people - not healthy ones. The only exception is folic acid for pregnant women, because pregnancy is not ill health.

Flaxseed oil is fairly good for you in the same way fish oil and nuts are. If you like munching on flax seeds (last I tried they were tasty) they are probably healthier than other snack foods. However, I doubt they compare at all to a balanced diet. Eating crap plus some health food does not count as a balanced diet.

DrDNA

I take no food supplements whatever - just concentrate on a good balanced diet, and regular healthy exercise. At age 60 my HDL is very high, my LDL is very low, my blood pressure is very low, my resting pulse is very low, my ECG is excellent, my lungs X ray totally clear.

Food supplements for normal healthy people are simply a way for a bunch of con artists to make a lot of money. The only ones who need them are those with special medical needs, who are put onto supplements by their doctors. In other words, food supplements are for sick people - not healthy ones. The only exception is folic acid for pregnant women, because pregnancy is not ill health.

Wow. That's great about your health!

Re: The diet.

I agree with you but, many or most of us (Americans anyway), do not get enough fiber, essential oils, and certain vitamins in our regular, animal fat laden, overly processed diets.

Most of us definitely don't eat enough fatty fish, antioxidant containing fruits and veggies, nuts and whole grains.

And unfortunately, much our fatty fish supply in the US (eg, Atlantic Salmon) is laden with lipid soluble toxins.

If everyone took care of themselves the way you do, overall medical costs would decrease dramatically, and everyone would be happier, healthier and live longer.

You may also be blessed with great genetics.

Of course I'm stating what is probably obvious and well known to you.

But, I know several people that do *everything that they should (diet, manage stress and exercise) and still can't manage keep their blood pressure within the proper range and/or have high cholesterol, etc.

To go along with what you said. I am VERY weary of "trace mineral" supplements such as chromium and other heavy metals. I think that it's crazy to take toxic waste.

I also know of a person or two who has been admitted to the hospital for taking toxic does of vitamin E. They thought more was better.

And of course there are others to limit or avoid all together.

So, I agree with you for the most part.

On the other hand, many vitamins are water soluble and they are relatively safe. For example the Bs and C. There is are no known toxic doses for these (or they are EXTREMELY high). The body simply excretes what it does not use.

I used to eat raw Flax Seeds on my cereal and in my shakes but they're not very good.

The Flax Seed oil and Fish Oil supplements I was referring to are simply pure oils.

Does anyone know where I can buy Flax Seed, Flax Seed Oil, or Flax Seed Powder online?

DrDNA; I am not sure about on-line but if you have a local food co-op, health food store, Whole Foods, Foods of All Nations, or similar alternative food store will usually have them both or at least be able to get them.

Just FYI - He was making a joke (and it was funny, too). It was a response to the post immediately before his that had a bunch of spam on how to buy flax seed at a particular website... repeated like 12 times... so his response was great since it came right after that huge spam post. Now that the spam has been deleted, the joke loses its understandability, but I'm sure he's grateful for your kindness all the same. :)

Just FYI - He was making a joke (and it was funny, too). It was a response to the post immediately before his that had a bunch of spam on how to buy flax seed at a particular website... repeated like 12 times... so his response was great since it came right after that huge spam post. Now that the spam has been deleted, the joke loses its understandability, but I'm sure he's grateful for your kindness all the same. :)

Thanks to both of you ntps and iN.

I don't know how funny it was, but now with the spam gone, obviously the joke's on me!

:doh:

It is actually very easy for anyone living in the wealthy West to eat a pretty good, balanced diet. Every day, eat a little animal protein. Some starch that is associated with lots of fibre. A few bits of different raw fruit. Some green, yellow (or other coloured) vegetable. Occasionally some nuts. Cook with oil rather than fat. Avoid McDonalds and similar.

The human body is actually quite flexible in terms of dietary requirements, even though there is a whole fad foodist industry out there trying to convince everyone of the opposite, and telling you that unless you eat their special (and expensive) additive, you will not be healthy. That is a load of bushwah!

The whole of human history is full of entire societies that eat 'inadequate' diets, and yet remain healthy. It is not worth getting paranoid about food. Eat a good diet, balanced as above best you can, bearing in mind your financial situation. If you eat less meat, or more starch, that will not harm you. Maximise the fruit and vege component, and the variety - but that can be done by buying what is seasonally cheap.

Health food shops are not the best source of good food. I never set foot inside them, regarding them as a bunch of swindlers out to take your money with false and misleading claims. The best source of good food is greengrocers and the vege section of your supermarket (not the 'health' food section).

Remember that diet is only one of the many factors leading to good health. Some other factors that are equally vital are :

- exercise

- social factors (do you lead an enjoyable social life)

- managing stress

- getting enough sleep and rest

- genetics

There is so much unscientific nonsense out there, by commercial interests after your money. Bewaaaaare!

The whole of human history is full of entire societies that eat 'inadequate' diets, and yet remain healthy.

The trend of average life expectancy says otherwise, as do the various human remains found which nutritional pathologists can identify as being afflicted with a battery of dietary deficiencies. I am concerned that ITT you seem to be substituting your own opinion in lieu of an appraisal of the extensive research that has been done in this area.

This paper provides some interesting points to consider:

http://journals.royalsociety.org/content/433422kur62024h5/

It also cites many other papers which provide an excellent cross-sectional view of the body of work in the nutritional pathology arena, should you wish to seek those out as well.

You are mostly right when you suggest that proper nutrition is not complicated, but you neglect to point out the very well-established concern that this only holds true on short time lines. It's not by any accident that diagnoses of long-term deficiencies of micronutrients are more commonly made for the elderly.

We are fortunate that most of our dietary requirements are easily fulfilled and that those nutrients that are hard to come by are only generally needed by our bodies in tiny amounts, but that doesn't mean that we can ignore them without ill effect.

Sayonara

Your view is correct, yet 'dangerous'. Dangerous in that it can lead to certain people becoming obsessed with diet and nutrition when there is no need. This results in spending lots of money and time indulging unnecessary dietary indulgences in the mistaken view that they will be healthier and live longer. As you said, it is easy to obtain a good balanced diet. No food supplements, vitamins or 'fad' foods are needed. Just a good variety, mostly from your fruit and vegetable store.

Sayonara

Your view is correct, yet 'dangerous'. Dangerous in that it can lead to certain people becoming obsessed with diet and nutrition when there is no need. This results in spending lots of money and time indulging unnecessary dietary indulgences in the mistaken view that they will be healthier and live longer.

It is not in the slightest bit "dangerous". How much time and money a person spends on choosing different foods is a product of their own personal decisions, and the degree to which that is money/time well spent will be a reflection of how much research they bother doing on (a) what their body needs and (b) the best value sources for what they wish to buy. The simple fact that some businesses have quite shockingly set out to turn a profit in a capitalist market does not in any way magically alter the human body's nutritional requirements.

As you said, it is easy to obtain a good balanced diet. No food supplements, vitamins or 'fad' foods are needed. Just a good variety, mostly from your fruit and vegetable store.

That is not what I said.

Sayonara

It is worth remembering that there is a massive, multi-billion dollar food swindling industry out there. That is, all the people selling unnecessary food additives, or so-called health foods that have never been demonstrated scientifically to have the slightest health value, except for placebo effect.

Billions are spent on such things as evening primrose oil, which when tested scientifically, showed no effects above placebo. These have no value to the recipient. I regard this kind of thing as one of the biggest con jobs of the 21st Century, and it needs no encouragement from us.

The rational and responsible approach to this is to teach how to create a simple balanced diet. It is not difficult, and it does not require 'fad' foods and additives.

Flax seed no doubt contains valuable nutrients, but it has its limits. As part of a wider diet, flax seeds or flax seed oil has a certain value. However, it must not be over valued. There are con artists who will promote it to get $$$ off those who do not know better. Much more important is to get a wide variety of fruit, veges, oils, and seeds, along with a little animal protein and foods with starch and fibre.

Yes, I agree that there is certainly an element of over-selling the virtues of certain products and foodstuffs. That is not in dispute.

What I am saying is that you should not over-compensate by throwing out the baby with the bathwater, and certainly not to the point where you are encouraging people to not diversify their diets. If anything, that is the dangerous suggestion.

If you wish to make a thread about the strange state of swindling in the supplementary foods industry I am sure that would be a very interesting discussion, and I'll certainly have a few choice words to contribute about supplements companies! But I don't think it should feature as a particularly prominent objection in this thread seeing as the topic is the benefits of flax seeds and you have already stated that it's important "to get a wide variety of fruit, veges, oils, and seeds, along with a little animal protein and foods with starch and fibre."

An interesting side note about evening primrose oil - used topically on eczema it has an amazingly calming effect on the skin. Not a lot of people seem to know this, which is odd since it has been around for ages. Nothing to do with diet though ;)

Sayonara

My point is that we should not focus too much on any one food, or even a few foods. Sure, add flax seed to your diet. But keep it as only one small part, and get as much variety as possible. And do not get sucked in by the con artists who overclaim for any supplement or food.

There are lots of excellent foods that are over-hyped. I have commented in other threads about wolfberries and about blueberries - each of which has a following by obsessed foodists. They are good foods, but must be only part of a wider diet.