Bush the Lame Duck

bascule

He'll likely be pushing through a significant amount of deregulations as well:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/30/AR2008103004749.html

The White House is working to enact an array of federal regulations, many of which would weaken rules aimed at protecting consumers and the environment, before President Bush leaves office in January.

The new rules would be among the most controversial deregulatory steps of the Bush era and could be difficult for his successor to undo. Some would ease or lift existing constraints on private industry, including power plants, mines and farms.

A related regulation would ease limits on emissions from coal-fired power plants near national parks.

A third rule would allow increased emissions from oil refineries, chemical factories and other industrial plants with complex manufacturing operations.

These rules "will force Americans to choke on dirtier air for years to come, unless Congress or the new administration reverses these eleventh-hour abuses," said lawyer John Walke of the Natural Resources Defense Council.

I disagree. But even then there was at least some indication of his intentions ahead of time, which is not the case here.

Yeah as much as I hate Bush, I can't really foresee him starting a war in his remaining three months in office

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15530.html

I've seen quite a bit of bluster lately about potential "midnight regulations" Bush might pass not being easily reversible. However, it appears Clinton-era regulations prevent that from being the case.

The Bush Administration planned on finalizing all regulations by November 1st, however they did not take into account the Congressional Review Act of 1996, which states that any regulation finalized within 60 days of congressional adjournment is considered to have been legally finalized on Jan. 15, 2009. This affects all legislation finalized by October 3rd. The review is filibuster-proof, so a simple party line vote is all that's needed to overturn them.

• 2 weeks later...

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/11/20/bush.environment/index.html

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

- Animals and plants in danger of extinction could lose protection under new rules

- Rules must be published by Friday to take effect before Obama is sworn in

- Bush administration admit intent to complete endangered species changes quickly

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Animals and plants in danger of becoming extinct could lose the protection of government experts who make sure that dams, highways and other projects don't pose a threat, under regulations the Bush administration is set to put in place before President-elect Obama can reverse them.

art.bush.wave.jpg

If successful, the Bush administration will accomplish through rules what conservative Republicans have been unable to achieve in Congress: ending some environmental reviews that developers and other federal agencies blame for delays and cost increases on many projects.

:doh:

I didn't think I was voting for an immature child at the time. The reason I didn't think so is because any evidence to that effect was obscured by the rampant partisanship that forced open-minded people like myself to view such evidence with a massive grain of salt. The fact that, oh I don't know how about Michael Moore, turned out to be correct is just pot luck and I wasn't about to believe what he said at face value at the time.

That's one of the reasons we have to clean up this partisanship and put it behind us.

I didn't think I was voting for an immature child at the time. The reason I didn't think so is because any evidence to that effect was obscured by the rampant partisanship that forced open-minded people like myself to view such evidence with a massive grain of salt. The fact that, oh I don't know how about Michael Moore, turned out to be correct is just pot luck and I wasn't about to believe what he said at face value at the time.

That's one of the reasons we have to clean up this partisanship and put it behind us.

That's a tremendously interesting point, Pangloss. "It's not my fault I chose wrongly on this issue, it was those evil partisan spinsters distracting me." I think there's valid reason to suggest that the spinsters drive that partisan wedge between us for explicitly that reason. I just am not ready to attribute my own mistakes to the "noise" in the system, but I find the central point you're making to be incredibly thought provoking.