Episodic Memory is the is the memory of unique personal experiences. This along with Semantic memory make up declarative memory.

For episodic memory to be stored the medial temporal lobe must be in function, this lobe also includes the hippocampus. Without the medial frontal lobe episodic memory can't be stored, presenting amnesia in some cases or memory loss.

There is to debate as to where episodic memory is stored, some think it is the hippocampus where others think it it stays in the hippocampus for a while then moves to the neocortex to be consolidated.

Semantic memory is the memory of knowledge based concepts. It is thought that semantic memory is independent form episodic memory.

Edited by Dr. Cox M.D.
multiple post merged

Would it be possible to store episodic memory in the hippocampus as a way to help decisions made in the neocortex?

What I mean is that the information flow upwards the different layers in the neocortex should be helped by our "knowing of similar situations". I don't really know if these already known situations are stored in the hippocampus, but it makes sense to me a kind of feedback between columns in the neocortex and the hippocampus.

Is it possible to retrieve information from the hippocampus to reinforce the decisions (connections) made in the neocortex?

Elmo, I think you may have a false impression of how memory works, as if memories are like little video tapes or DVDs stored and sorted in the different parts of the brain. "Oh, this one is of Grandma, put that in the hippocampus. Oh, this other one is of apple pie, put that by the amygdala." That's not how it works.

With that said, yes, the hippocampus and other limbic system structures (the "reptilian brain") are very much involved in nearly all decisions we make. It's all interconnected, and many different parts of the brain are activated in unison for nearly everything we do.

There is to debate as to where episodic memory is stored, some think it is the hippocampus where others think it it stays in the hippocampus for a while then moves to the neocortex to be consolidated.

I think the latter is the far more likely possibility.

My thinking is that yes, episodic memory could affect our decision making. If you want to take part in a particular activity ie: playing Tennis, you may "consult" your episodic memory to see whether you actually enjoyed, hated, ect. this activity, hence assisting you in this decision.

I suppose I should add: I think all state stored by the hippocampus is temporary, and I was under the impression that we've observed the hippocampus replaying its buffered patterns back down the neocortical hierarchy.

Jeff Hawkins places the hippocampus at the top of the neocortical hierarchy, where it acts as a buffer for patterns which weren't recognized and handled elsewhere.

• 1 month later...
Episodic Memory is the is the memory of unique personal experiences. This along with Semantic memory make up declarative memory.

For episodic memory to be stored the medial temporal lobe must be in function, this lobe also includes the hippocampus. Without the medial frontal lobe episodic memory can't be stored, presenting amnesia in some cases or memory loss.

Semantic memory is the memory of knowledge based concepts. It is thought that semantic memory is independent form episodic memory.

Rubbish. You have pilled a load of words together without any precidence of science itself. Speculations this must go.

Rubbish. You have pilled a load of words together without any precidence of science itself. Speculations this must go.

Seeing as he's talking about the findings from the past 20 or so years, which pretty much make up the current model, what precisely is your objection?

Quantum has nothing to do with neurology. Quantum effects occur on sub-atomic scales, while neurons, while small enough to usually be invisible to the naked eye, are still quite large cells. Any random effect would become irrelevant simply due to the sheer number of atoms being affected. It would be like rolling dice 10 million times - the randomness would be overwhelmed by sample size, and the result would be 3.5

The objection is that he misses half of the quantum analysis of such a model. He has basically speculated on a situation without quantum results that are non-classical.

For any given forum subject on this site, diversions from the current model should be posted in the speculations forum unless significantly evidenced.

Episodic memory typically has an emotional valence attached to it. My guess is the hippocampus reads the emotional valance attachment to the episodic memory. The rest of the memory content is crunched in the neocortical. One can get a quick composite emotional reaction for a quick assessment. If you think deeper into the details the emotional details can also be translated in terms of subplots to the episode.

For example, one may "like tennis", almost immediately. As you remember in more detail, you can feel the joy of winning, the frustration of that bad serve and the annoyance of your opponents mouthy ways, etc.

Often episodic memory can be remembered the way you want to remember it. Glory days is an example of using selective memories of an episode based on an emotional ambiance one is trying recreate and feel again. The hippocampus might also be able to filter data based on particular emotional attachment.

\

Episodic memory typically has an emotional valence attached to it. My guess is the hippocampus reads the emotional valance attachment to the episodic memory. The rest of the memory content is crunched in the neocortical. One can get a quick composite emotional reaction for a quick assessment. If you think deeper into the details the emotional details can also be translated in terms of subplots to the episode.

For example, one may "like tennis", almost immediately. As you remember in more detail, you can feel the joy of winning, the frustration of that bad serve and the annoyance of your opponents mouthy ways, etc.

Often episodic memory can be remembered the way you want to remember it. Glory days is an example of using selective memories of an episode based on an emotional ambiance one is trying recreate and feel again. The hippocampus might also be able to filter data based on particular emotional attachment.

\

Pioneer,

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. If I interpret you correctly, you are saying that all actions and all memories have an emotional lean to them. I agree. They do, but my question becomes, so what? How is that relevant to the question being asked?