Iridium and Scandium Wedding Rings

JiaXiang339

i'd go for iridium and leave the scandium alone.

iridium will be perfectly safe as it doesn't react with much and it wil last longer than gold, platinum and silver because it is not as easily scratched.

scandium is probably a little bit toxic due to its position on the periodic table but it hasn't been researched enough to know for sure.

Even though scandium develops a beautiful golden tint when the surface oxidizes I'd say it's too reactive to be used as jewelry material (aside for small amounts in alloys).

Iridium has a beautiful silvery color and doesn't really tarnish at all because it's extremely unreactive, even more so than gold or platinum. I haven't heard of pure iridium wedding rings, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I think a 10/90 alloy of iridium to platinum is often used in platinum wedding rings, but that's a bit low on the iridium (and platinum is expensive as hell compared to iridium).

Btw while iridium is very hard it's somewhat brittle, so if it does fall a long distance it will break rather than get dented. But this would have to be quite a distance and I haven't heard of people throwing their wedding rings around too much. :D Actually, the brittleness matters more if and when you're going to have to get the ring resized as I don't think that can be done in a normal jewelry store. Then again, this is circumvented by wearing the ring on a necklace rather than your finger if that's acceptable.

Edited by Gilded

I don't know about a rhenium ring but a rhenium diboride "jewel" would be nifty. ;) Rhenium is one of those elements that hasn't had too much research done on the toxicity, but it seems it quite non-toxic and isn't too reactive.

I'm not sure about dysprosium, it also has an unknown toxicity status and seems to be around as soft as gold. Oh, and as insane_alien pointed out it's a bit reactive just like other lanthanoids and doesn't make a good ring metal in its pure form.

If you want more suggestions, these zirconium rings seem pretty cool. While your spouse would probably frown upon a ring with cubic zirconium (ZrO2, common fake diamond material), I don't think that's as much the case with the actual metal. ;)

Or how about tungsten? It has the same density as gold, but it's much, much harder and has the highest melting point of all metals, I suppose that could symbolize something. :) Tungsten isn't that exotic though, and isn't much to look at.

Or how about tungsten? It has the same density as gold, but it's much, much harder and has the highest melting point of all metals, I suppose that could symbolize something. :) Tungsten isn't that exotic though, and isn't much to look at.

Yeah but think of how cool it would be if you ever accidentally ran into a high voltage electric fence.

Iridium is a pretty sweet choice though, if you're going for unique and kinda snazzy, you could definitely pull it off with that.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

I made Iridium wedding rings for my own wedding. I'm a scientist. I'll make more if anyone is interested. I chose to alloy it with 40% platinum so it wouldn't be brittle like pure iridium but would still mostly be iridium.

advertising url removed per Rule 2.7

Edited by Phi for All
link removed, advertising isn't allowed, scientists are welcome though

• 8 months later...

I made Iridium wedding rings for my own wedding. I'm a scientist. I'll make more if anyone is interested.

I'm really interested in getting an Iridium ring. I'm a chemist but don't have access to the equipment needed. Also, I'm not looking for a basic round design but something with flat bevelled edges. Do you think this is achievable?

• 10 months later...

I am interested in getting an Iridium Band as well.  The prices from American Elements are very high.  Has anyone found a more affordable site for 24 Karat Iridium rings or alloys like Quantum Gems described?

Quantum Gems Lepton are you still here on the forum?

Can you still make Iridium rings?

Thank you,

Robert Page

10 minutes ago, RobertI33@ said:

I am interested in getting an Iridium Band as well.  The prices from American Elements are very high.  Has anyone found a more affordable site for 24 Karat Iridium rings or alloys like Quantum Gems described?

Quantum Gems Lepton are you still here on the forum?

Can you still make Iridium rings?

Thank you,

Robert Page

Quote his post and a message will go to his email address.

• 1 year later...
On 3/22/2016 at 10:53 AM, Quantum Gems said:

I made Iridium wedding rings for my own wedding. I'm a scientist. I'll make more if anyone is interested. I chose to alloy it with 40% platinum so it wouldn't be brittle like pure iridium but would still mostly be iridium.

advertising url removed per Rule 2.7

Hi are you still making iridium rings?