Shampoo is pretty harsh on hair, being a detergent rather than a soap (soaps often have oils and fats in them). Oiling your hair can replace some of the oil you lose from shampooing. Oil keeps the hair elastic so it doesn't break off as easily.

Conditioners are good for your hair, but only because shampoos are so bad for it. Shampoos replaced soaps for hair because of alkaline, or hard, water.

I think a big benefit from adding oil to your hair is the massage you give your scalp. This stimulates the scalp to produce its own oil and keeps skin and hair healthy.

I don't think it actually improves growth, just overall health of the hair.

It certainly will look better, and grow normally, but I don't think it will grow faster (if that is what you mean).

Thanks for the information Phi, I didn't know that soap was the bad for your hair. I always knew that it wasn't great for your hair, but I assumed that was just because I was biased against shampoo from a traumatizing experience when I was little (It got in my eyes, and didn't come out... :(

You need to be cautious making blanket dismissals like "shampoo is bad." Granted, some cheapo 80 gallons for a dollar stuff is not helpful, but there are many shampoo and hair products that are actually QUITE good for your hair and scalp (like at salons and the like).

I don't think it actually improves growth, just overall health of the hair

There is no such thing as healthy hair. Hair is dead, very dead, no matter what shampoo advertisers say.

Pretty, shiny, smooth, whatever else yes, but healthy, nope.

Edited by ecoli
fixed quote tag

Thanks for the information Phi, I didn't know that soap was the bad for your hair. I always knew that it wasn't great for your hair, but I assumed that was just because I was biased against shampoo from a traumatizing experience when I was little (It got in my eyes, and didn't come out... :(
I tried to make the distinction between shampoo and soap. Soap is a better overall cleaning agent for hair because it has it's own oils or fats, but doesn't work as well with hard water. Detergents like shampoo lather well even in hard water, but tend to strip out more of the natural oil (sebum) from your hair, and that needs to be replaced or the hair isn't as well protected.

You need to be cautious making blanket dismissals like "shampoo is bad." Granted, some cheapo 80 gallons for a dollar stuff is not helpful, but there are many shampoo and hair products that are actually QUITE good for your hair and scalp (like at salons and the like).
I agree with this and I shouldn't have made it a generality.

I was trying to point out that most shampoos are harsher on hair than soap, usually requiring a conditioner be used after shampooing (the fancy salons never skip the conditioner). Soap doesn't work as well when your water is highly alkaline but is less harsh on your hair (if you use a water softener, it will keep soap from leaving the scummy residue that happens with hard water).