Does marijuana kill brain cells?

Guest ssjdadude

Guest ssjdadude

I have had this debate several times with many people. The only studies that I have seen that claim this seem to have been discredited. I would like to know peoples opinions on this matter and any scientific information that they might have.

Yip, and i read recently its effects are doubled when you nsmoke a cigaweed, AKA a joint and cigarette rolled in one. this is considerably worse than smoking a joint and then a cigarette- NZ herald

There are Beta blockers now being given to people during traumatic hospital stays to reduce short term memory. People don't remember having been intubated. I don't think this is induced brain damage but pot seems to do the same thing I think, I don't know, I forget.

Maybe it's not actual brain damage but just being unplugged from reality for a while.

Just aman

Hey Faf, When you say Neurotoxicity of pot, is it permanent like dead cells in your brain or just inhibited like novacaine on a nerve trunk? Novacaine also can be toxic but at levels it just is a temporary effect.

Just aman

Guest ssjdadude
Wrong. Marijuana has demonstrated neurotoxicity to cells in the hippocampus, resulting in memory loss.

Studies where are the studys. I would like to know where you got this laughably wrong information.

What is marijuana made of? Isn't it made of chemicals? Well, I suppose we can debunk the study about marijuana killing brain cells by seeing whether or not the chemicals that make up weed kill brain cells.

But then again, there are many versions of weed. The one on the streets aren't the same kind as the one they give in hospitals, at least this is my assumption. The one in the streets are usually made in, well, unsanitary places.

When referring to marijuana, I'm referring to the active ingredient, delta 9 tetrahydrocannabinol. It's the active ingredient in all forms and versions of weed (including its synthetic prescription version (marinol)).

Could someone demonstrate to me that significant toxic effects occur at the level of usage of an average marijuana consumer?

By "significant", I mean capable of having real effects on memory. That means you must demonstrate the link between cell loss and memory loss, showing that average usage causes such effects.

If you cannot, then I must declare these pronouncements premature. Nowhere in the cited paper did it say that neurotoxicity leads to memory loss. What it said is that it "may" be a contributing factor or cause. Why should I take such non-commital language seriously, and why are YOU taking it seriously?

coma, blackouts, death from overdose in the short term... physical dependence with possible death from withdrawal, liver failure, etc.

What concentration in alcoholic beverages are needed for those effects?

Or is any little amount sufficient for those things you mentioned..