atomic energy

Guest lintjosh

Guest lintjosh

i'm on an atomic binge at the moment. i have 2 questions.

1. in simplistic terms, how does an atom bomb work?

2. how would you describe the sheer power contained within an atom?

There are many different types of atomic bombs, but the two main classes are Fission and Fusion. Fission creates energy by splitting atoms. Fusion creates energy by fusing atoms.

The "fission" atomic bomb works by setting off a chain reaction of decaying nuclei, which releases huge quantities of energy. Essentially, Uranium decay is induced when a free neutron collides with a uranium nucleus and causes it to become unstable and split, releasing two neutrons, heat, and gamma radiation. The cycle is then continued at a devastating rate.

I'm sure someone can explain a little more in depth, but I've got to run!

Oh, and see E=mc^2 for your second question :]

There are many different types of atomic bombs' date=' but the two main classes are Fission and Fusion. Fission creates energy by splitting atoms. Fusion creates energy by fusing atoms.

The "fission" atomic bomb works by setting off a chain reaction of decaying nuclei, which releases huge quantities of energy. Essentially, Uranium decay is induced when a free neutron collides with a uranium nucleus and causes it to become unstable and split, releasing two neutrons, heat, and gamma radiation. The cycle is then continued at a devastating rate.

[/quote']

Actually, decay is a spontaneous reaction, so it is not (by definition) induced, and if it decays it's already unstable.

When a nucleus of U-235 or Pu-239 absorbs a neutron, it has excess energy, which manifests itself as deformation and vibration of the nucleus, like a jiggling liquid drop. In these nuclei, it's likely that the deformation is large enough that the electrostatic repulsion can break the nucleus apart, since there will be parts of the nucleus that are no longer close enough to feel the attraction of the nuclear force.

Usually about 2.5 neutrons are released, on average, which can then go on to induce more fissions if the geometry is correct. The fission fragments have a lot of kinetic energy, and gammas are released as well. The trick is to have the system held together long enough to induce a lot of fissions, rather than blowing itself apart before that can happen.

2). Nuclear binding energy is realeased when the nucleus splits.

In hydrogen (fusion) bombs a series of smaller atom bonds are placed around the outside to create enough power for the hydrogen nuclueses to fuse which then self sustains and devistates

BTW blike whos the girl?

yeah. it releases three types of stuff that sucks if you get hit. Alpha particles, which are just fast moving heliums, beta particles are fast moving electrons, and gamma rays...im not sure. But notice that speed is a key element here. and did i say that it sucks to get hit?

yeah. it releases three types of stuff that sucks if you get hit. Alpha particles, which are just fast moving heliums, beta particles are fast moving electrons, and gamma rays...im not sure. But notice that speed is a key element here. and did i say that it sucks to get hit?

Gammas are photons released in nuclear reactions.

The bulk of the energy released in fission is in the kinetic energy of the fission products. Some energy will be released later on in the decay of the fisiion products, which tend to be beta decays. A small fraction of the energy released is in the gammas and neutrons. There really aren't an appreciable number of alpha particles involved in the reactions.