Is time travel possible?

Zeo

What do you thinK?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What do you thinK?

• yes
    • no
    • uncertain

My response was sarcastic since there are plenty of posts already dealing with quantum theory and much more that needs to be researched but just hasn't been touched upon here. Punch it into google to get a general idea if you have no idea and ask some specific questions here if you want to expand your knowledge.

Patience fits in also for both of us when waiting for answers cus the people who know stuff usually are busy doing stuff and we gotta apreciate when they can get around to it.

Just aman

Consider this. I say in ten minutes I'm going to jump up and down. Instead of doing it in ten minutes I do it now, thus time traveled. However time cannot be a prooven existence and yet it can. It all really depends on perspective I suppose. If you mean can I jump into a machine and go tens of thousands of light years into the future, again back to my first analogy. You don't even need a machine to time travel. Just a few fun thoughts. Experiment with them and see the results for yourself.

You are irrelevant to time. Time travel into the future can be proven by many tests. What happens to you or what you do is not in the scheme of things except to you or others you enhance or damage.

Just aman

Guest ChrisFox

How can time we stopped, changed or even increased / decreased in motion then it already is, if in fact it is a continuum. That's like running a computer program to dish out the numbers from 1 to 10... and when it does... it somehow stops at 5 and then goes back t 3, then goes up to 7 and back to 5 then to 10... What I'm trying to say, is the numbers 1 to 10.. can be the "continuum", but when we don't go from 1 to 10, then it ends up not being a continuum at all, so essentially if we travel through time other than forward at 1s/s then time itself is not "time" anymore, but a different form of something. Changing time is as hard as changing the third dimension into something else... time is also a dimension.. the 4th... so you can look at it that way.

How does one define the "present" tense? Other than through perception I don't think it can be defined. There is no measurement of time small enough to account for its existence. If the present lacks any tangible definition, than past and future do as well, as they cease to have meaning without the midpoint that they are supposedly anchored to. So in this sense all three are occurring at once. This is why I feel perception may be the key to time travel. I visualize time as an analogue wave that we subconsciously agree to be stuck to when we perceive its motion. Theoretically I feel it should be possible to "get off of the ride?" By this I mean perceive existence from a motionless vantage point, ie without the illusion of past present and future. The problem with perception however is that it's relative to the individual doing the perceiving. So the challenge in time travel would be to get someone to perceive themselves onto a different point on the wave, while doing it in such a way that it could be appreciated by others.

I kindof feel that way when thinking about very large expanses of time. If I think that way too long I actually get very depressed because of the insignifigant ammount of time one person lasts. i cannot really describe the sensation, although I'm sure it has nothing to do with what you are describing, but it seems very cold, and I tend to feel distanced from my surroundings. It is a very very odd feeling, like time passing very quickly, even though when I snap out of it, a "normal" seeming ammount of time has passed. And no, it ain't drug related.

Edit -- Maybe it was drug related... why the hell is this posted here?

• 1 month later...

Im not a phyisist or anything but it seems to me the only real way time travel would work is if there were parellel universes, therfor time would repeat its self over and over again. For example if i went back in time then came back i would then be born in the world i went to again and in that world if i went back again the cycle would repeat itself. Do u understand what im saying? Thats just my theory please tell me if u disagree

Travelling back in time is the most destructive thing you can do in this universe. If it was possible to build a machine (for arguments sake, a Tardis) that can travel back in time you could very easily trigger something called the bucket effect.

I'v posted this idea about 6 months ago. The bucket effect is basicaly feedback. If you get a microphone and put it against its speaker, it creats a loop. Time travel is essensialy a loop aswell. But the signal from the microphone gets stronger and stronger because it is constantly magnifying the signal.

If you went back 10 years in your tardis, to 1993 you would deposit some atoms there. Oxygen, pocket fluff etc. Now firstly, these atoms allready exist in 1994 in some way or another. Now the number of these particular atoms have doubled. You go back to the future but essentialy time passes and the experement happens again, now you have more of the same atom deposited. This will happen constantly. So instantaneously you will have an infinate amount of matter being fed into this one place that you land.

The last thing that i didn't mention is that you will crash into yourself. Either way, you will end up creating so sort of expanding black hole.

it was a few months ago that i stumbled across a website that had an archive of a man claiming he traveled from the year 2038 via a nationally funded program. His intent was rather entertaining b/c the premise of the story he protrayed was that beginning in 2005, a series of civil wars and eventually, the onslaught of nuclear warfare with russia of all countries opposing us, leads the states to a much more denatured, sentimental, essence. However, there is one computer built in the 1970's that has some special ability, either due to its lack of complexity or lack of corruption as a result of its inferiority that no longer exists. This computer holds the key to some sort of world peace and this fella was traveling back.....

i do not condone this mans story however, i just thought it was provoking. Do i personally believe in time travel? I do not know what the answer is. It seems that as an object's speed increases, the actual 'age' and 'time' it has been gone both decrease than what should be expected.

Also, our idea of time travel may be distorted and not resemble the scenes the many sci-fi movies predict it to appear. Initially, we expected to live on the moon by 2020...... looks like a longshot.

im rambling on but i must say it was a fascinating read. Most likely another hoax but very readable in the least!!! now let me find it

According to Einstein's theory, approaching the speed of light would theoretically slow time, traveling at the speed of light would make it stand still and traveling faster than the speed of light would reverse time.

But Einstein also showed that traveling at or faster than the speed of light is impossible because mass at these speeds becomes infinite.

By finding a wormhole and stretching and filling the wormhole with large amounts of negative matter, but the solutions would require enormous amounts of energy and ingenuity. It would also require that scientists find a way of merging Einstein's law of relativity with those laws governing quantum mechanics in a so-called Theory of Everything.

That John Titor site held my attention for a suprisingly long time. His one response on the Olympics ending in 2004 was interesting, but mostly his answers were a little vague. He did what religions do and left it up to the faith of the reader.

wwj(ohn)d ? :D

anyway....i prefer to think of an individual molecule as a relative model of a solar system. Perhaps beyond our knowledge, a sun of a given circumference potentially has no more than enough mass to include lets say... 8 planets revolving around itself..

much like the orbitals of anything beyond the first energy level.

this is poorly researched speculation, but for an instant lets propose that what i suggest is actual, then it would be relative to a sound barrier. Atoms have two definite qualities im specifically referring to. That at which they act with soundwaves, and electromagnetic radiation. These two absolute points are universal for the most part excluding earthly singularities like temp. etc... approaching the 770mph at sea level, there is the first barrier, of sound. This is a physical barrier, seldom reached by nature. It shows this barrier has a limitation that is not easily overcome naturally; resistance builds as u get closer. Now to include the second barrier, at 196000miles per second light is the next barrier. One we ourselves can not, and potentially can not reach. It is no wonder we do not know if something can travel at such a speed. However, since more than a photon travels at the speed of light, i begin to wonder how unique this barrier is.

Electrons are said to move at this speed.

Photons move at this speed.

Nothing moves at exactly the speed of sound, for example, a jet, or a cracking whip. Both are capable of exceeding this boundary.

yet.... light is definite. Does anyone know if light slows down near an extremely dense object like a nuetron star or a blackhole? or does an atom cease to emit energy altogether?

Well, if time is a dimention, then time travel should be possible.

Like, if time were to be stopped, nothing could move, so we must be moving through time already. But to change the speed at which we are going, who knows? Maybe we already have the power to do it, but just don't realize it. I'll be that we'll figure it out someday.

And another thing. I don't think it would really matter what direction we are moving through time. Back or forward, or even sideways(what in the world?). All that matters is the speed. Or perhaps, time is moving through us, in which case we couldn't really move through it.

Also, who's to say that everyone isn't moving through time at a different speed? Maybe we do control it to an extent(this was brought up before), but it's just too small to percieve. For everyone, things would take the same amount of time to happen, but for one person it might actually be slower than for the next person. It's kind of hard to explain. And you couldn't measure the time in seconds, cuz second would just be a bit slower for that person. So there would be know way of knowing.

Actually i think i'm wrong. There must be time in order to have speed. The speed of something is mesured by how long it takes to travel somewhere. I dunno, i dont think anyone knows enough about time to be certain. Its just speculation and theories

Guest quaternion68

Time travel equates to reverse or negative entropy, two or more opposing EM fields which are pulse modulated produce a time reversed scaler wave for example.

• 4 weeks later...

this is something i have been ponduring for a while now...sometimes i thinks its possible sometimes i dont. heres what i think right now.

we cant travel to the future...it hasnt happend yet.

if we could that would mean that our lives have a predetermined path and we have no actual choices to make. but who knows maybe choice is an illusion.

we cant travel to the past...it has already happend...i dont care how fast you travel or whatever, it still takes time to do so and that time is never going in reverse.

btw, i have a tendencey to change my mind about this topic very often so if i contradict myself later on try to refrain from pointing it out.

According to Relativity, yes time travel is possible.

The Special Theory was a statement of an observation in nature and is thus self-evident.

The General Theory was confirmed early in last century by the observation of distant starlight's distortion past the disc of the Sun during a total eclipse, precisely to prediction and quite differently to the institutional physics theorum of the time.

Time travel is in fact evident within even the satellites orbiting our planet. The Global Positioning System had to be calibrated with Relativity as, travelling at thousands of miles per hour in orbit their internal clocks were in slight difference to those upon the ground.

Under a Newtonian (ie. fixed points of reference, or traditional) system of reference the Global Positioning System would provide indications of a given body's location several kilometres distant to its actual position.

(ref: One Universe, Neil deGrasse Tyson).