Is time travel possible?

Zeo

What do you thinK?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What do you thinK?

• yes
    • no
    • uncertain

I have pondered long and hard on this puzzle and have arrived at the only conclusion possible which is as follows:

A ding ding ding ding dididing ding bing bing pscht' date='

Dorhrm bom bom bedom bem bom bedom bom bum ba ba bom bom,

Bouuuuum bom bom bedahm, Bom be barbedarm bedabedabedabeda

Bbrrrrrimm bbrrrrramm bbbrrrrrrrrraammmmm ddddddraammm,

Bah bah baah baah ba wheeeeeee-eeeee-eeeee![/quote']

sayos gonna, looooove that..

• 3 weeks later...
We are traveling through time right now, one second at a time.

Ah, but if my little conclusion is correct, then it's not that we're traveling in time one second at a time, but rather, our minds are reliving memories of what's happened, or that we're interpreting things to roll on in the rate that we perceive them to be going in.

• 2 weeks later...

I have often had thoughts regarding the subject of time travel manipulation. But the more I think about it the more impossible it seems.

Instantaneous time travel:

What is time? Time is human fabrication. Merely a human concept that allows us to keep our memories in chronological definition and organise future events. Time does not truly exist. There is past - only neural impulses in our brains that recall past events. There is no future - only predictions of what may occur. There is only the present. So it is therefore impossible to mystically transfer matter into either the past or present.

Time acceleration manipulation:

There is perhaps another form of time travel however - slowing or speeding the passage of time. But how would such a feat be achieved? Well, the only thing stopping everything from happening instantaneously is a lack of momentum or kinetic energy. So to make time go faster or slower we would need to add or remove the energy in every cosmic machination to slow time. To do this we would need energy, to distribute energy equally to all cosmic machination we would need energy, to keep a complete balance in this energy distribution we would need energy. In the end we would need many billion times the energy in the universe to do all this. Not going to happen. Besides, if we did manage to find another source of energy we would need to create a machine capable of applying energy to all things in the universe. Creating a machine of that proportion is entirely impossible. In short: To speed or slow time we would need to put the entire universe in a time machine. Not just the magical-time-traveller-guy.

I hope someone read all of that because it took me about twenty minutes.

If anyone believes that there is a to manipulate time in any other way that I might not have considered please send your theory to Cameronmillsteed@hotmail.com. I am strongly interested in this subject(obviously :D ) and would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for reading.

Time does not truly exist

I would disagree with that saying that time is the 4th dimension and that we can travel time, however only at a constant speed, the speed of 1 second per second. If we did not travel in time then it'd always be 4:30pm on a wednesday (or whatever!).

So to make time go faster or slower we would need to add or remove the energy in every cosmic machination to slow time.

not really, time is relative, if the whole universe moved through the 4th dimension or time at 5 seconds per second we would not notice a difference as everything would still be moving at the same speed. To notice a difference I would need to be moving through time quicker/slower than something else to compare myself to. If you travelled faster than the speed of light you may travel back in time, however that is impossible.

I do agree with you that time travel is not possible, but I disagree with some of your reasons.

Well boys, I don't think that one could ever travel backwards in time because to do so would involve more that one reality.

One reality where for example, he was 25 years old in 2005, and another in which he was 25 years old in 1995. If he went back to before he was born, there would be one reality in which he existed and another in which he did not.

Whether or not a device could exist that would alter the rate at which time passed for an individual--perhaps, but I cannot see how one could reverse time.

I would disagree with that saying that time is the 4th dimension and that we can travel time, however only at a constant speed, the speed of 1 second per second. If we did not travel in time then it'd always be 4:30pm on a wednesday (or whatever!).
Before I comment, I would like you to clarify. Are you saying that time moves at a constant speed, or that you disagree with his saying that?

I do agree with you that time travel is not possible, but I disagree with some of your reasons.

Did you not say above that time does not stand still. Ergo, er travel through time.

*Throws science book at Sayonara* Shut up, you!

5614, I did not say anywhere that time travel was impossible. I said it was impossible to manipulate it. Of course we are all travelling one second per second - My point is that it is impossible to change that.

What fourth dimension? You push something and it moves. You push it harder and it moves faster. If I say "I'll meet you in thirty hours", what I mean is "I'll meet you when the earth has revolved 1.25 times. So if the universe moves 'faster', meaning more energy is applied to all momentum, then thirty hours will still be thirty hours because the earth is revolving faster.

Definition of time as stated in Australian Oxford Dictionary: Time - the successive states of the universe regarded as a whole in which every state is either before or after every other.

Time is therefore not a physical thing like the other dimensions. It is just a way of counting the revolution of the earth. I also count the amount of burgers that I eat, but if I based time on that you wouldn't call it the 'fourth dimesnion'. You might say that basing time on how fast I eat burgers is stupid because it is variable. Well, so is our current method of basing time:

The revolution of the earth is not persistant, it goes slower each time. So while our hour slows down gradually the entire universe does not slow down with it. Infact, there is absolutley nothing that is always moving at the same speed in this universe that we can base time upon. Our perception of time can never be perfect.

Please tell me which of my reasons for time travel being impossible you disagree with, 5614. Each time a debate reply is posted we become one step closer to a conclusion.

Thanks for replying to my original post, 5614.

5614, I did not say anywhere that time travel was impossible. I said it was impossible to manipulate it.
This is clearly incorrect. Have you never heard of the twin paradox, for a well-known example?

Of course we are all travelling one second per second - My point is that it is impossible to change that.
This is also incorrect. Both of your statements are not correct.

Definition of time as stated in Australian Oxford Dictionary: Time - the successive states of the universe regarded as a whole in which every state is either before or after every other.
If you use the children's dictionary, you will get a different definition entirely. This definition is out of date, in a modern scientific context.

Time is therefore not a physical thing like the other dimensions.
The other dimensions are not physical. What are you saying?

It is just a way of counting the revolution of the earth.
How Newtonian of you.

You seem to have a Netwonian understanding of time. This is a quite valid appraoch, but it is not the most modern way of looking at time.

Has there ever been a demonstration of someone or something leaving the present and going backwards into time? :rolleyes:

Not to the best of my knowledge. I personally think that time travel into the past is not possible. Surely, you are not asking me because you think that I might know if it is possible. Do you think that I might be suggesting that it is possible?

However, time travel into the future is not only possible, everyone does it always. It is unavoidable.

Not to the best of my knowledge. I personally think that time travel into the past is not possible. Surely' date=' you are not asking me because you think that I might know if it is possible. Do you think that I might be suggesting that it is possible?

However, time travel into the future is not only possible, everyone does it always. It is unavoidable.[/quote']

I was just checking to see what your thoughts were on it.

I agree that it is impossible to travel backwards in time because it would require multiple realities and I am not prepared to accept multiple realities.

Since it is theoretically (at least) possible to alter the rate at which time passes by either gravitational or velocity means, then it would seem that time can be altered, or at least the effects of time can be altered somewhat. :)

The revolution of the earth is not persistant' date=' it goes slower each time. So while our hour slows down gradually the entire universe does not slow down with it. Infact, there is absolutley nothing that is always moving at the same speed in this universe that we can base time upon. Our perception of time can never be perfect.

[/quote']

The revolution of the earth has, in fact, been speeding up lately. But no matter - we don't define the rate of time passage based on the earth's rotation, we use atomic oscillations. We do make allowances to keep noon when we expect it, by inserting (or possibly removing) leap seconds.

While I agree in general with the last two sentences, it's quite possible it's not for the same reason you wrote them, based on your other statements. You can define a coordinate system for your time, and make calibrations off of that.

• 3 weeks later...
I have often had thoughts regarding the subject of time travel manipulation. But the more I think about it the more impossible it seems.

Instantaneous time travel:

What is time? Time is human fabrication. Merely a human concept that allows us to keep our memories in chronological definition and organise future events. Time does not truly exist. There is past - only neural impulses in our brains that recall past events. There is no future - only predictions of what may occur. There is only the present. So it is therefore impossible to mystically transfer matter into either the past or present.

Time acceleration manipulation:

There is perhaps another form of time travel however - slowing or speeding the passage of time. But how would such a feat be achieved? Well' date=' the only thing stopping everything from happening instantaneously is a lack of momentum or kinetic energy. So to make time go faster or slower we would need to add or remove the energy in every cosmic machination to slow time. To do this we would need energy, to distribute energy equally to all cosmic machination we would need energy, to keep a complete balance in this energy distribution we would need energy. In the end we would need many billion times the energy in the universe to do all this. Not going to happen. Besides, if we did manage to find another source of energy we would need to create a machine capable of applying energy to all things in the universe. Creating a machine of that proportion is entirely impossible. [u']In short: To speed or slow time we would need to put the entire universe in a time machine. Not just the magical-time-traveller-guy.[/u]

I hope someone read all of that because it took me about twenty minutes.

If anyone believes that there is a to manipulate time in any other way that I might not have considered please send your theory to Cameronmillsteed@hotmail.com. I am strongly interested in this subject(obviously :D ) and would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for reading.

This is more or less the argument that I agree with most, in terms of how we as human beings define time. Like I said though, I don't really think time travel is possible, I merely think that time is how we as human beings interpret the progress (or lackthereof) of the universe.

Now about his theory on accelerating the speed of time, once again, you have to think about what the current speed of the universe and time actually is. Like I've said (somewhere), time is infinite, which means that it doesn't really have a speed, it simply IS. Now once again, this theory on accelerating things leads me to this: What if we could reasonable slow down the energy of a particular being? Bear with me, because I'm going to get all 'sci-fi' on all of you, but, what if, through some magical device called a time machine, we were able to generate a type of field, something that would seperate the timetraveler and whatever machine that enabled the field to be generated in the first place (scifi bull), and separate them completely from the universe and everything implied as such? In fact, what if that little field created a universe in itself? A little mini-pocket universe that could move in and out of this one at will, with a completely different rate of time on the inside? Now all of this seems a little far-fetched, but reading over it again, I think it could work. All we were have to do is merely define the parameters of the universe (however we'll do that, I don't really know), and put the traveler (or whatever) inside it. I mean, granted, I don't think it could ever happen, and I'm probably not the first to think of it (I'm sure one of you has said something similar somewhere in this topic), but thinking about my little theory just gives me hope.

Whatever, just philosophical bull.

Indeed!

I don't even buy into the idea that time speeds up or slows down depending of the gravity it is exposed to, or that time slows down when one is traveling at the speed of light.

I know that this has been "proved" with atomic clocks, but I think that all that has been prooved is that atomic clocks react differently in high gravitational fields or at high speed.

kinda like taking an old fashioned spring and gear clock and attaching it to a paint shaker for an hour. :rolleyes: