How much research experience did you have going into college?

CDarwin

Those of you who embarked upon science degrees (or those that didn't for that matter), I put to you the question above. I ask not entirely out of pure curiosity. I find myself now a high school senior within but a lamb's breath of beginning university and my contact with science hitherto has been almost totally vicarious.

I've tried on a few occasions to get a research project together but always got overwhelmed and gave up (I probably couldn't have handled the math they would have needed anyway) and my school doesn't offer any internship opportunities like many do apparently. I'm working under the assumption that my neophytism still isn't totally unheard of in our day and age. Your experience?

Summer of "biotechnology camp" in 10th grade where we learned research techniques

Next summer in atmospheric physics research at a national lab

The next summer at a uni research lab doing microbiology

My experience in high school was working several hours for a paycheck every day after school and on the weekends, and the occasional joint smoking. When I got to college, I started becoming fascinated in science class and volunteered for as many labs as I had time for. My professors were very encouraging and welcomed questions, and I became great friends with most of the grad students who taught me more than I know how to thank them for.

It's funny you mention being anxious about the transition. I'm back in school right now, and I'm somewhat of the "older statesman" among my younger classmates. With the end of the semester nearing I have heard scores of them disussing how nervous they are about leaving school and going into the "real world." We all face similar anxieties. The trick is properly using them to motivate you.

Frankly, CDarwin, I'm rather shocked to hear that you're just now graduating from high school. Your posts and your blog have regularly impressed me, and I'd wager a fair amount of money that you're going to do quite well in this world. You're a bright guy, and you'll excel in whatever endeavour catches your interest.

Best of luck. :)

closest i had was a chemistry project at the end of sixth year(my last year in highschool) when i analyzed the properties of wines. so pretty much bugger all.

you don't need any experience going in, but it would be a good thing if you asked your lecturers if they need a hand with their research. looks good on a CV.

I didn't have any experience before college. No summer camps, no jobs, no big projects.

I'm going into my senior year in college, working toward a BA in Biology, and just managed to grab a job in the ecophysiological/forest service department at the agriculture building. I'm doing stats on cycads (Cycas sp.) infected with the scale insect. It's pretty interesting even though it's only for 2 months. I hope to work with ants this summer, though, so I hope that goes through.

Check your university for research programs. RISE is one we have. My friends all tried it out and they think it's workwhile, especially on the CV. insane_alien is right in that you could help your professors with lab. You could TA if you want. Also, saying hello to your advisor and major professors makes you approachable to them. They could probably write awesome recommendation letters for you in the future! You're going to need it after college.

High school science research if fairly rare. Surprisingly it's also fairly rare at university too, at least in chemistry, although university is definitely the time when you should be trying to get some research done.

In physics in the UK you will do at least one more realistic research project in your final year, and if you're doing a ug masters you will probably do a quite serious research project in your final year, or where I am final 2 years.

High school science research if fairly rare. Surprisingly it's also fairly rare at university too, at least in chemistry, although university is definitely the time when you should be trying to get some research done.

It's getting a lot more common, especially in the United States.

In Germany you used to have work on your own on a science project (often a smaller part in an ongoing research effort) for around 6-9 months in the lab to get your degree in the last year in chemistry (and physics and biology). As there were no bachelors degrees that was the only degree (diploma) you can get (and had to get if you wanted to continue to a phd).