What's your degree field?

Cap'n Refsmmat

What field do you have a degree in?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What field do you have a degree in?

• Physics
    • Mathematics
    • Biology
    • Chemistry or chemical engineering
    • Psychology or sociology
    • Medicine
    • Engineering (mechanical or electrical)
    • History
    • English (or some other language)
    • Other
    • Computer science
    • Information science

You need a checkbox for information science. It's been a recognized academic/research pursuit for a couple decades now, quite distinct from computer science. The ACM even has a well-respected Journal for it (Crossroads). Human-computer interaction and usability engineering, information ethics, information architecture, security, intellectual property, knowledge management, all of that stuff falls under IS now, not CS anymore. :)

(In case it's not obvious, this is the field of my Masters and my current PhD work.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_science

Well anthropology has been a recognized academic pursuit for going on, what, 200 years now? We don't get a ruddy check-box. :P

Well anthropology has been a recognized academic pursuit for going on, what, 200 years now? We don't get a ruddy check-box. :P

Well yes, but you probably prefer it that way. That way you get to study the meaning of being left out, analyze the multi-cultural impact, and frame it in a context of post-colonial oppression. ;)

Oh man, that's got to be a great job, but it surely take hell of a time doesn't it?

I have a friend who does it, but he is miserable since he always has to work on someone else's stuff instead of his own. However, YMMV.

Hello all,

I have to choose one from the following pathways later on my degree:

- Biodiversity and Conservation

- Biological Sciences

- Biomedicine

- Chemical Biology

- Chemistry

- Molecular Biology.

At the moment I am debating with myself the first 3 options, the good thing is I don't have to choose yet... :embarass:

I have a friend who does it, but he is miserable since he always has to work on someone else's stuff instead of his own.
Does he get paid for that? I mean, I often write presentations for different students but I get money for that. I see no problem if things stand like this:D