Brain activity with 5 senses removed

To clarify, there are far more than five senses. Propioception, for instance, or sense of hunger or thirst, sense of hot and cold etc. Five senses is a myth.

however, it's almost impossible to tell what kind of brain activity there would be without any of them.

To clarify, there are far more than five senses. Propioception, for instance, or sense of hunger or thirst, sense of hot and cold etc. Five senses is a myth.

however, it's almost impossible to tell what kind of brain activity there would be without any of them.

What I’m talking about are the classic 5 senses.

Off topic -

Hmm, I’m very skeptical here: The other senses you refer to all could be considered touch related anyway. Hunger, thirst, temperature, balance are felt, so again I see them as touch related. Anything felt with our bodies, within and outside of, is touch related. I think the wiki link I came across is just breaking down the different types of touch senses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_senses#Other_senses

I used to set that condition when I was working early on in my philosophy...

It relates ot HUme's and Kant's debates... I used it actually as an argument when I was 14 and wrote a protest to the idea of travelling in time... (as in the one where one 'allows' oneself to travel faster than light disregarding relativity effects.. infinite mass etc)...

Anyway I later on devised one of my postulates based on this question:

p1: "Time is the perception of movement."

I strongly disagree with accepting the 4th dimension from relativity as an actual time dimension.. it works fine with the mathematical model applied to the physical world... but I claim time is the observation of a dimension rather than the dimension itself... thus I imply that the geometrial manifold of space is in fact connected with us observers yes.. but in a slightly different way...I claim further on (with other work of course.. I am just summarising here some points), that the mind is in fact a real physical substance, part of the same object of which our bodies are.. its just that it is the dimension > 3 part of that object. thus our own senses can't perceive the material our own minds are made of.

Nevermind, sorry for whacking this in... but if you continue this question you will come to some similar ideas probably :)

good luck

ps. (a renormalisation or rather a redefinition of kaluza-klein theory would be sort of the way to go if one stuck to the axioms which might be somehwat perceivable from this point of view which of course are not at all acceptable in current models of space continuums). With this I mean a 5-D metric would create the symmetry which would combine the mind/organic lifeforce with the 3 subdimensions we know as space or reality).

If a brain were grown without sensory input won't develop the portion of their mind that processes that input. For example, a child born blind will not develop it's visual cortex properly, instead it will be taken over by other senses such as hearing. If there were no input at all, the brain might not develop.

Off topic -

Hmm, I’m very skeptical here: The other senses you refer to all could be considered touch related anyway. Hunger, thirst, temperature, balance are felt, so again I see them as touch related. Anything felt with our bodies, within and outside of, is touch related. I think the wiki link I came across is just breaking down the different types of touch senses.

I think that if you consider hearing a sense, you have to also consider linear acceleration and rotational acceleration as senses.

I think that if you consider hearing a sense, you have to also consider linear acceleration and rotational acceleration as senses.

Balance and acceleration are mainly related to cavities containing fluid in the inner ear. A baby is not born with balance, or a sense of appropriate acceleration, it learns to balance, it learns to accelerate appropriately.

So I think of "REAL" senses as what we are, as a rule, born with and not something we need to learn. We don't learn seeing, touch, hearing, smelling or tasting, we have those senses automatically.

I'll just quote Immanuel Kant here:

"Perception without mind is blind, and mind without perception is empty"

I think there is a lot of truth in that. ;)

Balance and acceleration are mainly related to cavities containing fluid in the inner ear. A baby is not born with balance, or a sense of appropriate acceleration, it learns to balance, it learns to accelerate appropriately.

So I think of "REAL" senses as what we are, as a rule, born with and not something we need to learn. We don't learn seeing, touch, hearing, smelling or tasting, we have those senses automatically.

Tell that to someone who was born blind, then got their eyes fixed. You really do need to learn to see, and it has to be while you are young.

(Ignoring the blind condition) You need to learn what you ARE SEEING, not TO SEE!

What's the difference? You see an up-side-down image, with shadows from your nerve cells, and then your brain needs to extract the information. You need to find lines, curves, surfaces, colors, adjust for shadow, calculate size and distance, build a 3D model, recognize what it is you are looking at despite distortions and different angles, remove the object from its background, etc, etc, etc. If you think sight is so easy, feel free to make a computer program that can understand sight. Maybe you can become the top expert in computer vision.

Tell that to someone who was born blind, then got their eyes fixed. You really do need to learn to see, and it has to be while you are young.

I did say as a rule.

And they got their sense fixed, and not learned into being. Something like balance is not even present from birth, it is practiced. And probably relies on, at least, the sense of touch to even exist.

• 2 weeks later...

Off topic -

There aren't "five" external senses anyway, fundamentally. Taste and smell are both forms of chemoreception (as is use of the Jacobson's organ, which we don't have but New World Monkeys and prosimians do). Hearing and touch are both receptive to vibration as well as tactile contact (if you touch your eardrum, you will feel it). Sight is the only sense that is more-or-less unrelated to any other bodily function.

I did say as a rule.

And they got their sense fixed, and not learned into being. Something like balance is not even present from birth, it is practiced. And probably relies on, at least, the sense of touch to even exist.

No, balance is not learned. This is standard neurology stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
No, balance is not learned. This is standard neurology stuff.

Then maybe you can walk across a tightrope without falling, without any practice? Because your sense of balance is so fine tuned?

There aren't "five" external senses anyway, fundamentally. Taste and smell are both forms of chemoreception (as is use of the Jacobson's organ, which we don't have but New World Monkeys and prosimians do). Hearing and touch are both receptive to vibration as well as tactile contact (if you touch your eardrum, you will feel it). Sight is the only sense that is more-or-less unrelated to any other bodily function.

So, you are saying in reality there are only three senses? Due to the type of receptors that are used for each sense? Which is balance related to? I'd guess touch?

Cheers.