Who is your Person of the Year?

Pangloss

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I think Putin was a good choice.

I agree. He has stopped his people being fleeced by the multinationals, oligarchs and gangsters. He doesn't crumble as soon as the companies raise their eyebrows like western leaders.

Al Gore should have run for President. He'd have won hands down this time.

How on Earth could anyone think Putin was a good choice? He had just finished converting Russia back into a dictatorship by staging a rigged election, and he gets lauded by the west? Ludicrous!

The USA is a dictatorship. You are just made to think you have a say! All you get to vote on is colour of the ship, not the direction it's going. The West exports capitalism, not democracy.

And the USA should know all about rigged elections. You had one in 2000 remember!

Apparently. :rolleyes:

Of course, even as I laugh at Bombus' wacky dictatorship comment, I am reminded that Florida voters presently have no say in the current Democratic presidential race, having been disenfranchised by their own party, and Republican voters only get half credit, and all because the state simply changed its primary date. And three or four other states are in the same boat, and nobody in the media is saying anything about the greatest disenfranchisement of voters in the entire history of the US because it plays right into their drama-based agenda. Jesse Jackson was happy to march in 2000 when a few thousand fools punched their cards wrong, but when millions are robbed by the elite power structure of this country, nobody cares.

We may not be a dictatorship, but we're too damned close to an oligarchy sometimes.

Apparently. :rolleyes:

Of course, even as I laugh at Bombus' wacky dictatorship comment, I am reminded that Florida voters presently have no say in the current Democratic presidential race, having been disenfranchised by their own party, and Republican voters only get half credit, and all because the state simply changed its primary date. And three or four other states are in the same boat, and nobody in the media is saying anything about the greatest disenfranchisement of voters in the entire history of the US because it plays right into their drama-based agenda. Jesse Jackson was happy to march in 2000 when a few thousand fools punched their cards wrong, but when millions are robbed by the elite power structure of this country, nobody cares.

We may not be a dictatorship, but we're too damned close to an oligarchy sometimes.

I agree, it's a dictatorship by 'The Companies' - so really an Oligarchy.

The checks and balances don't really help much though do they? They pacify the population by making them believe the system must therefore be fair. They don't really work on the BIG issues. The checks and balances, and the supposed 'democracy' ensure that the status quo always remains, with very very little change!

There is no evidence that the 2000 election was rigged.

Severian I'm disappointed in you for supporting that sort of comment, not to mention the anti-American sentiment. If someone made a comment like that about your country you'd be outraged. And you're behaving exactly like that which you clearly despise, so what does that say about you?

The checks and balances don't really help much though do they? They pacify the population by making them believe the system must therefore be fair. They don't really work on the BIG issues. The checks and balances, and the supposed 'democracy' ensure that the status quo always remains, with very very little change!

I think the checks and balances DO help, in that we would be much worse off without them. What I might agree with you on is that certain elements of society (including some elements you may typically favor) have gotten better at working around those checks and balances, and that they need improvement.

Let's not get into semantics. The 2000 election may not have been "rigged," but it sure wasn't kosher.

Let's not pawn off as "semantics" what is in fact a monstrous difference in meaning, nor obscure amidst cheap rhetoric what we really mean to say. If you want to sweep the conspiracy theorists up in your dragnet for support for the evils of Republicans, fine, but don't pretend like you're doing anybody a favor. And frankly if I tried to pull something like that on global warming you would be apoplectic.

Ae-paa-plect-tick? Does that mean not happy? ;)

Fair enough. You would be hard pressed to argue that the election went forward without questions and concerns, but I agree that "rigged" is too extreme and I should not just "pawn it off" as semantics.

Oh.. btw... GO GIANTS!!!! :)

Not only do I not argue with those characterizations, I completely agree with them. And many of them can be blamed on politics. You weren't here for some of our best discussions on this subject -- I was actually one of the folks who had their ballot box "go missing" for several hours, only to mysteriously turn up in a warehouse, unattended (but my district was solidly for Gore, so I used to use this as a humorous counter-example). You also missed some of my best rants about Katherine "Taking Back the Country for Christ" Harris and her bid for the Senate in 2006. Ah well.

Ho ho ho, how blindly jingoistic you US citizens can be! Do you honestly think I'd be upset if you said UK elections were rigged? Anyway, I nonetheless agree that rigged is a bit strong, but it was a judicial coup, made possible by denying the vote to black and other likely democrat voters.

Basically, all I was trying to say is that it's a bit rich for the US to say that the Russian election was dodgy! Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone etc..

Also, as I have often said, I am not anti-American. I am anti-capitalist, and anti Bush, and anti right-wing, but not anti-American.

I think the checks and balances DO help, in that we would be much worse off without them. What I might agree with you on is that certain elements of society (including some elements you may typically favor) have gotten better at working around those checks and balances, and that they need improvement.

There are many good checks and balances in the US that protect citizens freedoms and rights in principle. However, in general the US system favours the companies, the establishment, the rich, and allows the poor and middle classes to be ripped off and the environment damaged. The checks and balances that are in place end up being ineffective but pacify the people allowing the rip-off to continue.

I think we've gone a bit off-topic here:-)

Basically, all I was trying to say is that it's a bit rich for the US to say that the Russian election was dodgy! Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone etc..

Even if I agreed with you about the 2000 election, Bombus, two wrongs don't make a right. Nobody can criticize unless they're perfect? Fine, name a perfect country, please. I need a good laugh.

Also, as I have often said, I am not anti-American. I am anti-capitalist, and anti Bush, and anti right-wing, but not anti-American.

It's good to admit your bias. Get it out in the open, show people that you're aware of it. Good for you. :D

There are many good checks and balances in the US that protect citizens freedoms and rights in principle. However, in general the US system favours the companies, the establishment, the rich, and allows the poor and middle classes to be ripped off and the environment damaged. The checks and balances that are in place end up being ineffective but pacify the people allowing the rip-off to continue.

All of that is true, including the sentiment behind it.

What's really gonna knock your socks off, Bombus, is when you realize that the opposite is also true, and that it's really the playing off of these two favorings that makes this country work as well as it does.

What's really gonna knock your socks off, Bombus, is when you realize that the opposite is also true, and that it's really the playing off of these two favorings that makes this country work as well as it does.

I'd have to disagree with you. Who is actually winning? Who gets the nice life? Who gets the money, power, privilage? Who does the system ultimately benefit? Who does most of the dying to maintain this system?

I'd really love to answer your questions, but I've got to go through at least another dozen dumpsters tonight to feed my 13 starving children, just like everyone else. Where you guys find time to talk about politics in these desperate and dreadful times is sure beyond me!

I'd have to disagree with you. Who is actually winning? Who gets the nice life? Who gets the money, power, privilage? Who does the system ultimately benefit? Who does most of the dying to maintain this system?

Are you implying that life isn't fair?

I'd really love to answer your questions, but I've got to go through at least another dozen dumpsters tonight to feed my 13 starving children, just like everyone else. Where you guys find time to talk about politics in these desperate and dreadful times is sure beyond me!

LOL! Read these lyrics:

SYSTEMATIC DEATH

system, system, system - death in life

system, system, system - the surgeons knife

system, system, system - hacking at the cord

system, system, system - a child is born

poor little ****er, poor little kid never asked for life, no she never did

poor little baby, poor little mite crying out for food as her parents fight

crying out for food as her parents fight!

system, system, system - send him to school

system, system, system - force him to crawl

system, system, system - teach him how to cheat

system, system, system - kick him off his feet

poor little schoolboy, poor little lad

they'll pat him if he's good, beat him if he's bad

poor little kiddy, poor little chap

they'll force feed his mind with their useless crap

force feed his mind with their useless crap!

system, system, system - they'll teach her how to cook

system, system, system - they'll teach her how to look

system, system, system - they'll teach her all the tricks

system, system, system - create another victim for their greasy pricks

poor little girly, poor little wench

another little object to prod and pinch

poor little sweety, poor little filly

they'll **** her mind so they can **** her silly

**** her mind so they can **** her silly!

system, system, system - he's grown to be a man

system, system, system - he's been taught to fit the plan

system, system, system - forty years of jobs

system, system, system - pushing little buttons, pulling little knobs

poor ****ing worker, poor little serf

working like a mule for half of what he's worth

poor ****ing grafter, poor little gent

working for the cash that he's already spent

working for the cash that he's already spent!

he's selling his life, she's his loyal wife

timid as a mouse, she's got her little house

he's got his little car and they share the cocktail bar

she likes to cook his meals, you know, something that appeals

sometimes he works til late so his supper has to wait

but she doesn't really mind cos he's getting overtime

he likes to put a bit away just for that rainy day

cos every little counts when the cost of living mounts

they do the pools each week hoping for that lucky break

then they'd take a trip abroad, do all the things they can't afford

she'd really like to have a fur, he'd like a bigger car

they could buy a bungalow, with a georgian door for show

he might think of leaving work, but no, he wouldn't like to shirk

he'd much prefer to stay and get his honest days

pay he's got a life of work ahead, there's no rest for the dead

she's tried to make it nice, he's said thankyou once or twice

system, system, system - deprived of any hope system,

system, system - taught they couldn't cope

system, system, system - slaves right from the start

system, system, system - til death do them part

poor little ****ers, what a sorry pair

had their lives stolen, but they didn't really

care poor little darlings, just your ordinary folks

victims of the system and its cruel jokes

victims of the system and its cruel jokes!

the couple views the wreckage

and dreams of home sweet home

they'd almost paid their mortgage

when the system dropped its bomb.

I think that perhaps Bombus is trying to make a different point... more that the neuroses in our current system of government are self-reinforcing.

Indeed, and who creates that neurosis?

The USA (in fact the West) fights itself - all over the world.

Are you implying that life isn't fair?

Life isn't fair, but maybe we should be trying to make it as fair as we can?