House Resolution 847

ydoaPs

the moon landing made most Americans feel good. Certainly there was much scientific value to all of the Apollo program that was required to land on the moon, but much of the value of actually landing on the moon was national pride (we beat the Russians!).

Really! That's quite a simplification given the rather large list of things I provided that came directly as a result from the Apollo landings. And that is just small list of technological advances (meaning I have not listed them all), I have yet to provide scientific ones.

The projects for putting a man on the moon again (in about 2020), and wanting to send a man to Mars, as opposed to sending just rovers, is for pretty much this reason also.

No, not really. While there will be a lot of people that will feel good about this, there is a great deal more to it than just national pride.

...Technically, my parents, and most of my friends are "catholics", my father even had the privilege of been harassed by nuns because he was left-handed. ...

I don't mean to take away from the debate I am just wondering -- what?? I'm left handed, so I'm really curious.. what does it have to do with catholicism?

It's politics, not science. They could make a bill stating that purple unicorns cause erections in leprechauns. It only matters if they can convince others in the legislature to pass it... which, in this case, they have:

((rofl.. you rock.. ))

Anyhoo.. About these statistics, and both iNow and Phil's points -- how accurate can we even consider these statistics to be? I mean.. in every statistics there must be a margin of error (as I see painfully in my Physics Lab Reports too... <die>).. I wonder what the margin of error is in the specific check about Muslims, considering the fact most of them aren't exposed to modern media and the attempt to *gather* the information, and the fact that a lot of Christians are *listed* as Christians but really aren't (as the example given above, and I know others too).

If the margin of error is somewhere around 9-10%, then Christianity is no longer the "Biggest" religion. 9-10% margin of error in such a statistics is not all *that* illogical, too... is it?

~moo

Dear evil mooeypoo,

Many catholics thought being left-handed made you a servant of the devil, in fact satan is often picture as left-handed. As nuns were still controlling all the schools not so long ago… When the good nuns were giving you something, you had to take it with your right hand. You might think they had other things to do, but no, they didn’t. Taking with the left hand was, at best, considered "impolite" and, at worst, a behaviour that had to be repressed. However, the practice of oppressing left-handed people was losing popularity when my father entered school in the 1950s, at the time they had found other more amusing targets (women’s right, among other things). But still, there was a firm belief among many catholics that it should be repressed. My maternal grandmothers suffered much more from this stupid custom, she was hit by nuns until she could write with her right hand like all "normal people".

iNow,

About the prevalence of Christianty, I think your chart might be misleading. According to Adherents.com;

Many Muslims (and some non-Muslim) observers claim that there are more practicing Muslims than practicing Christians in the world. Adherents.com has no reason to dispute this. It seems likely, but we would point out that there are different opinions on the matter, and a Muslim may define "practicing" differently than a Christian.

Dear evil mooeypoo,

Many catholics thought being left-handed made you a servant of the devil, in fact satan is often picture as left-handed.

Goddamnit, and here I thought my secret's safe.. <sigh>

;)

iNow,

About the prevalence of Christianty, I think your chart might be misleading. According to Adherents.com;

Many Muslims (and some non-Muslim) observers claim that there are more practicing Muslims than practicing Christians in the world. Adherents.com has no reason to dispute this. It seems likely, but we would point out that there are different opinions on the matter, and a Muslim may define "practicing" differently than a Christian.

That's hardly surprisng, considering the fact that in many Muslim countries, denouncing Islam is punishable by death. There's a religious law in Islam that state that if you are already a Muslim, you are one for life (I need to find full resource for this, bear with me for after I finish cleanin my room)..

But yeah, I would say the margin of error in this chart should be gigantic.

~moo

You can't really say you're surprised....

Nah, the Old Goat told me ages ago.;):)

If you have an interest in Heraldry the "Bar" or "Bend Sinister", a line running from the upper right to lower left of the field, is used to denote an illegitimate birth in the family line.

The fact is that the rightys have always tried to oppress us leftys because they recognise our innate superiority. We have to survive in a right handed world and we do this by becoming somewhat ambidextrous, a feat they can't often emulate.

There are few things funnier than watching a righty trying to do something left handed.>:D

As to the original resolution. It wouldn't surprise me if it was nothing more than a "show" for those who feel Christmas and Santa are being attacked. Down here there have been two silly ones.

Santas in some stores have been banned from saying "Ho Ho Ho" on the grounds that a) It might frighten the children and b) the word "Ho" has derogatory connotations in American slang. (How an Aussie 5 year old makes the connection I've yet to work out.)

Santa has also been criticized for being a jolly, fat man in a climate of concern about childhood obesity. Some people really do need to get a life.

You know, my aunt wasn't beaten or anything like that but she was strongly discouraged against using her left hand (she's left handed) so the result is that today she can start a sentence with her left hand and finish with her right, and you can barely see the difference.

That's just cool.

Christmas is not about Santa Clause and nicely-decorated trees. There's a history behind it, and this history is about people who faced persecution by countless civilizations from different regions and times.

Here in the states, Christmas lost its meaning - parents do not inform their children about Christmas, the right way.

I am happy with this resolution, and if it wasn't for the constitution, I would support it being a law.

cheers,

There's a history behind it

That is pretty much the only thing you said right in this post. There is a history. Christmas is just another pagan holiday that the Catholic church stole(think Easter and Halloween).

That is pretty much the only thing you said right in this post. There is a history. Christmas is just another pagan holiday that the Catholic church stole(think Easter and Halloween).

Christianity and Paganism are not one, and Catholicism itself is not Christianity; it's a sect of it.

Christianity and Paganism are not one, and Catholicism itself is not Christianity; it's a sect of it.

I'm not saying Christianity and Paganism are one(although there is significant borrowing). I'm saying Christians stole a pagan holiday. People were celebrating Christmas long before Jesus came around.

I'm not saying Christianity and Paganism are one(although there is significant borrowing). I'm saying Christians stole a pagan holiday. People were celebrating Christmas long before Jesus came around.

Traditions between the pagan holiday that you were talking about and Christmas might of been similar, but they're not the same. Christmas means the birth of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, and the gifts we receive are identical to the gifts of frankincense and myrrh He received from the kings. The pagan holiday is very different in meaning.

Traditions between the pagan holiday that you were talking about and Christmas might of been similar, but they're not the same. Christmas means the birth of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, and the gifts we receive are identical to the gifts of frankincense and myrrh He received from the kings. The pagan holiday is very different in meaning.

Looks like Pysia is rowing in Egypt.

Lol, I'm gonna have iNow ressurrect the "definition of 'Christian values'" discussion just so you can explain to him how we're all celebrating your holiday, no matter what it may actually mean to us. I missed the fireworks last night, and I need my fix! >:D

wasn't jesus born sometime in june?

More like July, but yeah, sometime around there. The reason we celebrate Christmas on December is because the Romans usually had a major festivals around that time of year.