Doh !

Royston

There was a thread a while back where we were asked to share 'our stupidest moment.' In a similar vein, this is to share those situations where somebody else has displayed a moment of profound stupidity, they could be a work colleague, friend or family member, or anyone really...that warrant a :doh:

Please no quotes from here, this is for situations outside of SFN.

To start off, this happend when I was much younger, and it had been snowing heavily, which is quite rare where I live. So naturally we wanted to make the most of it. So we found a steep hill on a housing estate, near a friends house, and were sledging down on tea trays, sometimes ending up in a heap at the bottom.

We noticed a lot of curtain twitching from the house at the bottom of the hill. We carried on regardless, until ten minutes later, a woman with arms crossed was staring at us from the doorway of the house.

We took this as a sign to move on, and went back to my friends' for warm drinks. When we got in, my friends Mum said 'you boys have just been on the local radio station'...'how come' we said, 'apparently you're ruining the snow.' :doh:

On a plane flight recently a guy in the seat directly ahead of me seemed to be having trouble with his reading light. He reached overhead and turned it on, then a minute later reached up and turned it off, and repeated this a few times. I could see the top of his head and he wasn't looking down like he was reading, he was looking around for a flight attendant, getting angrier when they didn't respond. He's jumping to conclusions and losing his cool because he's being stupid and unobservant. This tickles me and I decide I'm not going to tell him he's got the wrong button.

A few minutes later he stops a flight attendant and he's obviously angry. He goes on and on about how he just wanted a blanket and has been signaling for for the last ten minutes and why don't they fix their buttons? The attendant reaches up and pushes the proper call button (big, orange, picture of an attendant on it instead of a light bulb) and one of the other attendants starts to come back till the first one waves her off.

I hear the guy say, "Oh" as he realizes his mistake. I figured he'd apologize but he instead chooses profound stupidity by continuing to be angry and demanding a blanket and a pillow NOW. The attendant puts up with it but gets in one last subtle shot. Once he's settled with pillow and blanket she asks, "If you're going to sleep shall I turn the reading light off?"

He saved himself from total profound stupidity at this point by finally saying thank you.

i seen this one at my local train station wile waiting to go to uni.

first i'll set the scene. i'm waiting in line to renew my zonecard(gets you unlimited travel with trains and buses over a number of zones for a few months) the ticket booth has this big perspex window and a little slot with a slider to pay money through and get your tickets.

so, i notice the shabby looking person with quite a severe twitch infront of me. i just thought it was your usual junkie but no. this guy has to pull a knife and try to get the attendant to hand over the money. if it was a gun, then fair enough i severely doubt the window is bulletproof but it is most definitely knife(and junkie)proof. when the attendant laughs at this feeble attempt and hits the button to call the police the guy tries to jump through the window, falls off the wee desk bit and slashes the side of his face open. he then makes a run for it and runs straight into the door and knocks himself out just as the police are arriving.

of attempted holdups i've seen. this is the most pathetic.

This is a short and sweet one...I was over a friends house, and a boyfriend of one of the girls we knew at the time was there, anyway, he was asked to turn the kettle 'on' to make some tea.

Five minutes later, we hear 'you forgot to turn the kettle on' in which his response was...'oh, sorry, I thought it said no'

I kid you not.

Hahah, some of those are pretty bad.

I dont have one to match it, but I saw something a few years ago that was fairly stupid - had to do with what this guy said.

We were at a buffet - Sweet Tomatoes - and I was at the bakery area, with all the muffins, brownies, cookies, etc.

Anyways, there's this kid and his dad standing next to me and the kid says to his dad "is this cornbread?" - and the dad replies "no, those are corn muffins"

lol- big difference!