definition of a planet

dstebbins

As I look here, I notice the first criteria for planethood was that it must orbit the Sun directly. Does that mean that all objects outside our solar system, which, technically, do not orbit the Sun, are automatically not planets?:P

Just goes to show how non-credible Wikipedia is.

As I look here, I notice the first criteria for planethood was that it must orbit the Sun directly. Does that mean that all objects outside our solar system, which, technically, do not orbit the Sun, are automatically not planets?:P

Why don't you log in and fix it then? That's the beauty of wiki. It's only wrong until someone who knows better puts the onus on themselves to make a correction.

I suppose it's easier to complain than to do something to improve a situation. :rolleyes:

Btw... that's not wiki's definition, it's the IAU's.

http://www.iau.org/

http://www.iau.org/iau0603.414.0.html

Wow, I've heard of internet morons but this is ridiculous.

That statement was in the first section, meaning I CAN'T change it. Log on and see for yourself. There's no "edit" link for the opening sections in ANY article. Idiots.

And to think, no one has yet to see that. Wow.

That statement was in the first section, meaning I CAN'T change it. Log on and see for yourself. There's no "edit" link for the opening sections in ANY article. Idiots.

Well, I see an edit link. Either you missed it, they've locked your ability to make edits, or I'm special. I dunno... maybe some combination of those. :cool:

Btw... you linked above to a sub-article. Here's the main page for "definition of a planet:"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definition_of_planet

Why is that chimpanzee throwing feces on passers-by?

I guess you missed the in the solar system part.

Seriously, what the hell are you talking about. You can edit it, with the "edit" button. But don't, because it's correct. That is current the IAU definition of a planet. It mentions exoplanets, which, by the IAU definition, are something different (so far).

Moron...

Does that mean that all objects outside our solar system, which, technically, do not orbit the Sun, are automatically not planets?
There is more than one solar system with a sun.

That statement was in the first section, meaning I CAN'T change it. Log on and see for yourself. There's no "edit" link for the opening sections in ANY article.
See attachment.

Idiots.
That's nice. Now hows about you tell us one thing we've got wrong so far in this thread that justifies that, and compare it to you declaring the non-existence of something without making the slightest bit of effort to look for it.

lookatthat.png

Well, I see an edit link. Either you missed it, they've locked your ability to make edits, or I'm special. I dunno... maybe some combination of those. :cool:

If I lost some of my editing privileges, then I lost them the moment I signed up.

Fine. Is there any way for me to prove that I'm right without giving you my username and password? Perhaps some way you can see exactly what I'm seeing without actually logging into my Wiki account?

If I lost some of my editing privileges, then I lost them the moment I signed up.

Fine. Is there any way for me to prove that I'm right without giving you my username and password? Perhaps some way you can see exactly what I'm seeing without actually logging into my Wiki account?

Take a screenshot and post it, like the tree did?

As a general note, the article isn't even semi-protected, I can edit it whilst not logged in as well, via the same link.

Please post your screenshot, highlighting the empty space between discussion and history where edit this page apparently isn't.

Perhaps it goes to show that you do not read carefully. The item you refer to specifically says that it is giving a definion of planets IN OUR SOLAR SYSTEM.

Warning given. If this is directed at the other posters you are trolling. If it's directed at Wikipedia you are drawing fallacious conclusions.

A different approach is suggested, one which protects your face from getting egg all over it.

The handle off of which the OP flies so dramatically seems to have been precipitated by those distracting bullets in the definition. They do tend to draw the eye and make us skip the explanatory bits.

Let's back off a bit, I smell a mea culpa in the offing. Let's not make it more difficult.