Out of Body Experiences

It looks as if these are not as ludicrous as they seem, with evidence as to what they actually are having been found:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2266740.stm

It seems like fascinating research, and I somewimes wonder what opportunities it could offer in the future, for example, will people start having electrodes implanted into their brains to stimulate these centres instead of taking drugs? could it perhaps offer treatment for drug addiction?

your thoughts would be interesting

I suspect the mechanism of action is probably inhibition of 5-hydroxytryptamine reuptake, perhaps involved with other neurotransmitters as well. Since the brains functions are based on electricity, this could certainly interfere with normal function; especially considering the similarity of the effect of certain drugs. I read the full article in Nature, but they don't talk about it on the molecular level.

A drunk with his eyes closed can't even point to his nose. He thinks it's over there. This is a small example of losing our center but not quite out of our bodies. I wonder what effect this would have on a blind person. They rely heavily on this internal anchor.

Can a blind person tell if he's been astral projected to somewhere else?

Just aman

That would depend on the kind of blindness. If they were blind just because of a problem with the optical nerve, they would be able to see with stimulation of the visual parts of the brain... but if that area of the brain was damages, there can't be sight.

And when I'm drunk, I can point to my nose... as well as do all those other things ;) And we're talking really drunk (~.5 BAL)

OK, maybe the drunks boat still has an anchor in his conscience but no keel so it's hard to navigate back over the anchor.

Dizziness is losing contact with the anchor for a short time and usually results in out of body and into toilet if your lucky.

Still if I close my eyes I can get up and navigate to the other side of the house.

If the lady was describing how she was over there with the voice coming from the body that's here then she's here.

Just aman

• 6 months later...

fafalone:

dimethyltryptamine? i guess. i really dont think seratonish things do good jobs. increase perception. seems like an out of body. not.

5-ht has nothing to do with it either.

the dissociatives : ketamine, dextromethorphan, salvorian A,

they all cause perfect dissociative experiences (seperation of mind and body)........ they all have a common recepter . i forgot.

sigma opoid comes to mind , but i doubt thats the one we are looking for.

oh... just how does brain make mind.

If out of body experiences were real that would explain what happened 2 nights ago, though I presume it was a holographic experience along with a case of consious sleepwalking.

Just incase I asked my dad to place a note with 8 digits above the fan in my room, without me knowing them..then when i have an "out of body experience" i should be able to remember the digits, or at least most. I will not look at the numbers before or after sleep, only when he takes them down and quizes me...hope it helps me figure the truth to the myth.