Balloon in a car...

w=f[z]

Here is a little question;

Let's say you are driving along in your car on a cold-autumn day. You have a passenger in the center of the back seat that is holding a helium-filled balloon in front of them by the string. You make a sharp left turn around a bend in the road.

Which way does the balloon move relative to the car?

(Justify your answer.)

Cheers,

w=f[z]

P.S. I'm still really new here, so my apologies if this has already been discussed.

it`ll move to the right the same as you do.

Justification: preservation of Inertial forces.

Hi YT,

This problem has been known to confuse physicists a time or two.

You might want to reconsider.... ;)

Cheers

Just so we're all clear on this...

If we turn left (as in the problem), and say we have a ball resting on the dashboard, the ball will move right relative to the car. Yes?

Cheers

;344715']Just so we're all clear on this...

If we turn left (as in the problem)' date=' and say we have a ball resting on the dashboard, the ball will move right relative to the car. Yes?

Cheers[/quote']

Note here I mean ball - not balloon. Perhaps I should have said coin or something else of that nature. :) D'oh!

;344712']Did you mean left[/i'] IA?

i said left.

/me shiftily draws attention away from the editted notification.

A, it makes no difference what the balloon is filled with as long it has MASS, it`s subject to the same force :)

yeah but if it is less dense than aire then it'll move left, if it is more dense then it will move right

okay, take it to the extreme situation.

you have a tank half filled with water(half empty if you're one of those people) with a little boat floating on it. it just so happens this tank is on the end of a centrifuge. whe you start of the water will be level and the boat is on top. as it spins faster and faster, the water will rotate so he surface is nearly perpendicular to the ground. the boat will still be floating on he surface as if nothing has happened.

IA is right, it moves to the left.

This left/right business is making it apparent that SFN members may have some dyslexic tendencies. To avoid confusion, why don't ya'll talk about what happens to a helium-filled balloon in a moving car that suddenly comes to a stop?

i_a is right, and D H's point is well-taken. 1-D is better than 2-D.

Newton's first law: an object that's in motion remains in motion, and all that.

Driver hits the brakes, and everthing has the tendency to continue to move forward. "Everything" includes the air in the car. Since that is more dense than the He-balloon, the balloon will actually move backward, i.e. in the direction of the acceleration, because it is displaced by the air.

Do it in a vacuum, and it will behave as you would expect for a generic mass. (But do it with a remote-controlled car)

It would of course roll around on the floor.

The matter is the balloon: the pressure difference between the vacuum and the inside of the balloon would not last. The pressures would attempt to equalize, eventually ending in the popping of the balloon.