What can a B.S. degree do for me?

Genecks

If I remember correctly the Bachelor's of Science degree can help a person say, "I understand science a little bit" in a modest sort of way. :cool:

But I was wondering if a person land a job as a secondary school teacher with it, primarily high school.

What can a bachelor's of science degree do for a person?

I'm primarily talking about America, but other countries would be of interest to me.

Errr... I think you mean BSc.

BS degrees are something else entirely ;)

I wouldn't happen to be saying "bulls417 degree" would I?

Heh. What is a B.S.?

I don't know. Wiki says differently: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor_of_Science

Another thing I really want to know is what is the difference between getting a bachelor's degree in science vs. getting a bachelor's in a specialized topic. Do people get a BSc in order to branch out into different scientific topics?

To teach in a UK state funded secondary school, you will require on top of the BSc a PGCE. That is a Postgraduate Certificate in Education.

In colleges and universities, there is no formal requirment as such but a PhD would be the norm.

As for the rest of the world I have no idea.

It all depends where it is from. Most BSc's are not worth the paper they are printed on. I certainly wouldn't hire anyone who had a BSc from my University.

Things that bad in Glasgow?

With more and more people getting degrees in all kinds of subjects it does lower the reputation of "proper" degrees and makes job hunting harder. It also means that in order to stand out you need a postgraduate degree.

• 4 weeks later...

When I started majoring in history (only lasted one summer semester) I thought of being a high school teacher. Looking into it, the best way to get into a high school as a history teacher (at least around here) was to minor in science or math and teach some science/math classes as well as history. So I think with science your in a pretty good position to try for a high school teaching job.

Things that bad in Glasgow?

With more and more people getting degrees in all kinds of subjects it does lower the reputation of "proper" degrees and makes job hunting harder. It also means that in order to stand out you need a postgraduate degree.

that's the case in our country. and in order to be able to teach, you need to take up some subjects in education. some schools, however don't require this, just like the hs i came from. they have good teachers though.

it realy depends on what your trying to teach, if you want to be a hs physics teacher you pretty much just have to say you know physics (which is very unfortunate)

I think the current statistic on high school physics teachers is that only 33% have a degree in physics, within that 22% have a degree in physics education.

but the bachelor's of science is all you really need to teach highschool science, most states will want you to teach part time and or get a certification before they'll let you be a full blown teacher in the US.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not entirely sure, but an education course was taken by my cousin as an elective among his Maths major courses that entitles him to teach maths. So most probably you just need a Science major and a course in education to nail a highschool job.