Pointless rant on the Pussification of the American Male

ParanoiA

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[wimp] Constantly driving around like your on a race track when there's other not-so-skilled drivers around is like carrying a loaded gun in your hand with the safety off, waiving it at the crowd and claiming you know what you're doing. [/wimp :rolleyes: ]

It's human nature. Most if not all people only learn some things the hard way. Still, every time I hear people (most of them young, inexperienced drivers, ironically) they did n-hundred-an-hour all I keep thinking about is "you never had a real accident, did you?".

Too bad, it was a nice rant, it's just that I don't agree to most of it :P

Particularly, it misses the fine line between burning your hand on fire and running like crazy from lit cigars and burning your hand on fire and not sticking your hand in again because it hurts with no benefit in sight. I'd qualify cowering as not driving again, as opposed to driving more careful, watching for incoming satellites.

I wonder what the population of Earth would be if everyone would carry a loaded gun. As an order of magnitude.

I wonder what the population of Earth would be if everyone would carry a loaded gun. As an order of magnitude.

I think it would be much the same. Only the proportion would be different. Criminals would be more scarce and not so idolized and glorified like now. The news would have to report on the latest idiots that tried to steal, rape, or assault someone else who shot them dead. It would be sweet.

You assume that an attacker would get shot by the victim which IMO is a nice, if flawed, vision of armed citizens. The attacker has the element of surprise, would most likely shoot first and aim before. If anything, crimes would have a much higher rate of success, cutting into "attempted" crime.

Also, those who tend to shoot first would be favoured, so overall the population would be smaller and more aggressive and paranoid.

True, in a perfect world a shooter would probably be shot too, but it's not all simple. If you saw someone shooting someone else, would you shoot? Not likely, since you have no idea why he/she fired. If you did, someone else would shoot you for shooting. And if you didn't shoot it would be much the same as today.

Not that it would ever happen.

You assume that an attacker would get shot by the victim which IMO is a nice, if flawed, vision of armed citizens. The attacker has the element of surprise, would most likely shoot first and aim before. If anything, crimes would have a much higher rate of success, cutting into "attempted" crime.

Also, those who tend to shoot first would be favoured, so overall the population would be smaller and more aggressive and paranoid.

And you're assuming crime would be just as appealing then as it is today. With a world full of armed citizens, the appeal and attraction to crime would be much smaller. Crime would likely be more vicious, as you've stated, since you basically have two armed opponents, rather than one armed versus one unarmed opponent. You would still have crime, but far more reports of botched efforts leading to dead criminals. Of course you'd also have the citizens accidentally shooting other innocent people and yadda yadda, but that would pale in comparison to the piles of dead yoyo's.

Admittedly, there is far more hope in that paragraph than logic...but violent crime and society's acceptance of it is a big peeve of mine.