Dear SFN: The sun does not cause skin cancer

Hades

I just wanted to put this out there and get some responses on this 'theory'.
Responses:

1. *snicker*

2. Way to go on the use of quote marks around the word theory. I could just see you using your fingers when you said it.

3. Says who?

4. You're probably wrong.

5. Some kinds it does.

6. Why is this in GD?

7. *burp*

8. Sun screen with SPF 0 will probably cost just as much.

9. Are you insane?

10. Statement ≠ theory

This is what Kevin Trudeau says. Cancer is caused by parasites, he proclaims. Ironically, he says do not use microwaves b/c they cause cancer, but bask in the sun all you want.

And i've had pre-cancerous moles removed because of exposure from the sun from surfing, so i know they cause them.

I also want to note that a relative of mine follows this mans every word and as a result has stopped applying sunscreen on his young children, who also surf.

very off today. i also need to add, his 'theory', because its been clinically tested at the university of snake oil, states the cause of skin cancer is from sunblock.

I just wanted to put this out there and get some responses on this 'theory'.

by sun, i mean exposure to the sun.

I agree. There is only a correlation. :cool:;):D

It's not a theory, because it is a claim.

And you seem to be arguing from authority.

I thought the scholastic method died...

Testimony doesn't seem like good evidence.

I'd want to see some videos of biological interactions.

Otherwise, describing the process with chemistry, biochemistry, and physics would help.

It's a government conspiracy to tax sunlight.

Although not relevant to skin cancer, such a thing did happen in the 1980s.

there is a very simple mechanism for UV light from the sun to cause cancer. when a UV photon hits DNA it breaks a bond or two which alters the structure and information in the DNA sometimes this leads to cancer sometimes it just leads to cell death. happens the same way with chemicals except its a chemical reaction that causes alteration of the DNA

i've just been reading up on this guy and if you follow his advice you will definitely become ill and possibly die.

for instance 'raising the bodies pH to kill cancer' yeah if you raise it enough your organs won't function neither will you blood and any leftover bits that i don't know the name of.

for instance 'raising the bodies pH to kill cancer' yeah if you raise it enough your organs won't function neither will you blood and any leftover bits that i don't know the name of.

And, in all likelihood, compounded damage due to your body desperately expending everything it can in a frantic bid to restore balance.