Some Hebrew Pi

ryan

In the movie Pi, a character proposes that the Hebrew language consists entirely of mathmatics. If you've seen the movie you can stop reading the remainder of this paragraph. He gives us an example of how words are related: When the number of letters in the word for "mother"(4) is added with the number of letters in "father" (5) you get nine, which is the number of letters in the word for children. I haven't seen the movie in a few months so I don't remember if he gave any more examples. However, this same character also tells that he is searching for the true name of their god.....which they only know the number of letters in. (And I also can't remember.)

Does anyone know if this is true? Is the Hebrew language really based on numbers, and if so, can you give some other examples?

well I doubt it is specifically constructed with numbers in mind, although it is an interesting thought, expecially for those who consider it a holy language. I don't know alot about it, nothing at all in fact, and to be honest I'm a bit cynical, since you can find anything if you look hard enough.

I don't know alot about it, nothing at all in fact, and to be honest I'm a bit cynical, since you can find anything if you look hard enough.

I'm with you edward. I remember seeing a website one time that showed how you can also find all these codes in Moby Dick.

I've seen reports of it on Discovery Cable. The only problem I have is that "after" something happens they go look for some aspect or indication of it. It doesn't predict and will coincidentally have clues to any event just like in Moby Dick or better a longer novel.

Just aman

People are very good in interpretting things afterwards. Take Nostradamous for example. Its very easy to twist the words he used to make it fit into history. Like the "Hitle" (I think), a river. Easy modification to create Hitler. But that doesnt mean it was right. The same thing goed for the bible .."The HOLY book". People want to believe in it because they don't know anything else or don't want to know/think. But hey who knows.... maybe I'll turn Cinderella into my goddess someday and live my life as a cleaner because.. thats how its written.

Finding codes in books, I think, is total nonsense.

• 1 year later...
People are very good in interpretting things afterwards. Take Nostradamous for example. Its very easy to twist the words he used to make it fit into history. Like the "Hitle" (I think)' date=' a river. Easy modification to create Hitler. But that doesnt mean it was right. The same thing goed for the bible .."The HOLY book". People want to believe in it because they don't know anything else or don't want to know/think. But hey who knows.... maybe I'll turn Cinderella into my goddess someday and live my life as a cleaner because.. thats how its written.

Finding codes in books, I think, is total nonsense.[/quote']

it's actually a tad bit deeper than that. i dont really think it's a smart way to spend time...but it is interesting none the less.

the people used numbering codes like the fiberacci(sp) sequence (just an example) picking out the letter that the code suggested. after doing this to entire chapters-they actually got perfectly flowing sentances telling of Hitlers killing of the jews, etc. There are books on this..i think one is called the "omega code," but i never went further.

Kabbala for numbers is mostly Mid Age art.

About alphabets a interesting point is that the "phonetical" alphabet was invented once, than copied along the whole Earth. In very exotic cases -Armenians?- the local ruler preferred to invent a completely different set of signs, but mostly are derived from the original ones. This includes the alphabet used in Hebrew language.

The ordering of letters was already fixed a lot of time ago, perhaps XIIIth century BCE. But the mapping from letters to numbers comes surely later, for very technical applications as astronomical recordings etc, already in the alexandrian or roman times. It seems that sequences as the roman I II III IIII V (one hand) VI VII VIII VIIII X (two hands, V and ^ ) XI ..., even if error-prone, were more appealing to most people.

If i am not mistaking the hebrew letters already carry a certain "load" (meaning) and the words are composed of those letters giving the meaning the word, like an addition of meanings.

I completely agree with edward that you can make say Nostradamus what you like.

I read somewhere once that he predicted the return of jesus in 2007 (we will see :))

There was a guy that once wrote a poem in the style of nostradamus to show that you can make what you want out of it (before 2001) for some thesis or something like that. Later this verse circled the internet and journals to show that nostradams predictd the wtc attacks.

I am rather sceptical about the hidden messages of the bible/Koran/Torah or whatever other religious book. It is the content that is important and not so much the words.

Predicting the future would be by definition impossible i would say.

Mandrake

I believe there have been numerous books written on the subject of finding hidden codes, one of which I have read (called "The Bible Code" - original title), and that's made me rather skeptical of such codes existing.

finding codes once events have occured has no point at all. just a waste of time. finding a code which would predict something which has not happened yet would be better. but unfortunately that would never happen. all with the light cones and stuff.

finding codes once events have occured has no point at all. just a waste of time. finding a code which would predict something which has not happened yet would be better. but unfortunately that would never happen. all with the light cones and stuff.

It's perfectly possible to find a code which will give you all major future events in the next 100 years by plugging in a Tom Clancy novel, but the problem is you don't know which one is right until the hundred years are up

• 6 months later...

Hebrew numerology (called Gematria is Hebrew) is not a lost art. There is a woman in my synogogue who is quite proficeint in it. Every letter in the Hebrew alphabet also stands for a number. For example when two people are married, it is often the custom to take there Hebrew names, and add up the letters. The sum is converted back to letters. You'd be surprized how often you can come up with other words, often times meaningful to a wedding ceremony.

A more specific example one of the Hebrew names for God, Elohim, when added up equals the same numbers as the word, ha-teva, meaning mother nature.

Elohim -- aleph-lamed-hey-yud-mem:

1 + 30 + 5 + 10 + 40 = 86

Hateva -- hey-tet-bait-ayin:

5 + 9 + 2 + 70 = 86

The Hebrew word for snow, sheleg, add up to (333) the same as forgetfulness, shich'cha. The rabbi's say that when it snows, one is sometimes stuck inside and becomes forgetful of the world outside.

I could go on forever, but you get the idea. Whether this is just coincidence, or not I leave up to you to decide. But, I think that it's a pretty cool thing.

(info borrowed from http://www.aish.com)