Combat/Martial Arts.

GutZ

Since I have an obsession with Combat, mostly unarmed I was wondering if anyone here also has the same interest. If you've taken martial arts or whatever I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

If you dislike it you can talk about it tooo...I guesss...

I want to keep this a general thread, but if you need direction, I will rephrase it later.

I've always been fascinated with the idea of overpowering another human being. Through physical strength, intellect or even pure clout. Maybe it's a sick perversion, but any perversion kept in check merely becomes a quirk.

I've taken a few martial arts, Tae Kwon Do, Karate, R.I.C.M.A.S. (That's the same style Shamrock uses) but found they aren't really what I was looking for.

I've found that if you use simple principles and practices instead of training in move sets (I can't remember what they call them....) you can become a much more effective fighter. In essence, meditation is much more essential to physical well-being then exercise.

Honestly, try deep breathing "exercises" instead of your daily routine for about a week. You'll notice increased awareness, increased stamina and increased speed. It's not placebo either, it's simply oxygen fuels your body, and more of it you have the better it functions. Right now you could say your body is running on fumes... so to speak.

P.S.

Sorry about the novel.

I did some in the past, mostly muay Thai and kickboxing. I got annoyed with it because I trained for a boxing fight, and I got sick, and a kickboxing fight, and it fell through. So my training faded out after that, although there was a brief grappling revival.

The fastest developing area is Mixed Martial Arts (MMA). Ju Jitsu, Muay Thai, and wrestling are normally enough to ensure you can handle yourself in virtually any fight.

Most fights end up being a big mess on the ground, so if you can speed that process up (ie flying knee to head, Muay Thai stylee) and then gain control of your opponent (ju jitsu & wrestling), you'll be the daddy.

I did some in the past, mostly muay Thai and kickboxing. I got annoyed with it because I trained for a boxing fight, and I got sick, and a kickboxing fight, and it fell through. So my training faded out after that, although there was a brief grappling revival.

:-(

Failure of heart alert! Fetch the stick of incentive!

I have fought amateur and professionally as a mixed martial art fighter. My last opponent was Jeremy Horn.

I have extensive experience in boxing, Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling.

I trained the local Highway Patrol instructors and was offered a contract to train cadets but I cannot make the time commitment.

I love fighting and have sparred full contact for thousands of hours.

It is my belief that a person is not complete without developing this aspect of their life.

I took Kung Foo classes for about a year and a half when I was approaching my teens. The belts were classed to different weapons we used, so yellow belt was staff, orange belt was nunchucks et.c

The best moment was smashing a load of roof tiles with my fist...hwaaa.

It was held at the local leisure centre. To end each session off, we had a game of bulldog, where I was nearly always the last person left, and ended up getting thrown over somebodies shoulder.

I did judo, kendo, and karate, And helped teach self-defence to "fragile" females. They were vicious, never pulled their punches. Men mostly had respect for each other, even if only because they realised that if they damaged their sparring partners, they wouldn't have anyone to play with.

Snail:

:D

No, young ones fortunately. They were softer, pliable and altogether more fun. The older ones were sort of brittle and broke easily.

In those days, the young ones worried abot being sexually assaulted. Street mugging had not been invented then, so the older ones being generally less sexually desirable had less to fear. I guess things are different now.

Yeah girls are vicious. One of my buddies back in my day had his leg broken during a "POINT SPAR" match. I couldn't believe it. She was all "SEE THE POWER OF WOMEN" yeah we sw her backside as we threw her out of the dojo. That's just not right. It's like those crazy guys you see in bars... except worse.

Seriously though I won't play sports with women, they take house league way too seriously. Someone with something to prove should keep it competitive.

I did Taekwondo for many years, and practiced with a mixed group a few years ago, but I've done little since. I was known for using biomechanical principles to make a nuisance of myself. "Oh, they're doing a jump technique. That means they have no traction, so if I just give them a good shove, all that momentum will transfer to them and send them flying...."

Mokele

I haven't had any formal training, but I've found in real life the most important principle of self-defense is a state of mind. In other words, react instantly, suddenly, and viciously, but stay perfectly calm and use the other guy's momentum and ego against him. I am neither big nor strong (though I'm stronger than I look, which helps), but I've certainly humiliated my share of would-be bullies.

It is my belief that a person is not complete without developing this aspect of their life.

Care to elaborate on that?

Care to elaborate on that?

yes, please do. I have never taken a martial arts class, so does that mean I can't live a complete life?

Or perhaps you refer to the type of mentality you can acheive with martial arts that perhaps is similiar to other physical arts, yoga, for instance. (which I have done)

I did Taekwondo for many years, and practiced with a mixed group a few years ago, but I've done little since. I was known for using biomechanical principles to make a nuisance of myself. "Oh, they're doing a jump technique. That means they have no traction, so if I just give them a good shove, all that momentum will transfer to them and send them flying...."

The Übernerd wins again! Pity it never happens that way in movies.

I did wing chun (kung fu) mixed with grace ju-jitsu. it was really great, and i loved the almost poetic mixture of eloquent grace and vicious violence, and the fact that it's designed to be really fast

wing chun was designed by women, so, in a similar vein to gcol's comments, it had lots of eye-gouging, throught-punching goodness :D

but then i got IBS and had to stop :(

also did some samurai-sword fighting with bokken, which is possibly the most fun thing in the entire universe, unless you catch you fingers.

Most fights end up being a big mess on the ground, so if you can speed that process up (ie flying knee to head, Muay Thai stylee) and then gain control of your opponent (ju jitsu & wrestling), you'll be the daddy.

unless there's two of them :P

wow you guys are awesome, never figured there would be so many replies! I've been interested in Sambo and Wing Chun lately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo_%28martial_art%29

Once I get into a more stable life I wanted to get into Sambo.

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?FighterID=1500

Basically my motive is because of that guy, I love his style. His lunging punches lol. Sambo has everything I want to learn with grappling and stuff so.

very soon i will be learning Ba Gua, Tai Chi, and Hsing-I. Ba Gua and Tai Chi are internal martial arts, and Hsing-I is a transition from external to internal martial arts.

"internal" means, basically, you're controlling your body internally, all of the subtle muscles and everything. it also includes Chi, or "energy" (basically), in the form of electrical energy, and even emotional and mental energy.

it deals with keeping the body completely relaxed, as opposed to tense like most external martial arts. tense allows you to block, but relaxed causes everything to just pass through you.

all of the punches and kicks are "soft" (nothing is tense), and use ideas of waves to deal damage to specific areas, usually internal. they can also send people flying fairly far with little effort.

Ba Gua has been called the mother of all martial arts, or the trunk of the tree. it's one of the first, and most or all martial arts are minor subsets of Ba Gua.

i love martial arts, but i don't like classes. so far what i've learned of this is quite intuitive, and i'm hoping it will remain that way.

wow you guys are awesome, never figured there would be so many replies! I've been interested in Sambo and Wing Chun lately.

well, if your interested:

wing chun is all about speed and accuracy (conservation of movement: getting from point A to B directly), and also simultanious blocking and attacking, so you can attack whilst half their guard is down. the end result is a very fast art that sacrafices power, but compensates for this by aiming for vulnerable bits (if the intent is to go from A to B asap, and point B is the throat, a lack of power isn't all that relevent). punches are optomised for speed, with about 8 per second being possible, so you can basically overwhelm an opponent with multiple punches (anything youve heard about, say, 50-punches-per-second is bull. i was at about 6/second, and my instructor, who does this entirely as a job, trains 6 days a week, started as a kid, and is all-round exeptionally good, was at 8/s, which most the instructors could match)

Most blocks rely on dissapating the energy of the blocks insetead of meeting it full-on.

and, the most fun bit, an emphasis is placed on feeling and reacting to the opponents movements. at all points, a 'bridge' (phisical contact) should ideally be maintained, so that the movements of the opponent can be felt, rather than relying upon sight to detect attacks (more easyer at close distances, and also faster to react to once learnt). (Chi sau sensitivity training technique)

hmm... the last thing of note i can think of is the range (pretty damn close), which is ninjaesqu in philosophy: most people cant strike effectively at really close range, so basically it'd be funny if we learnt to, and then got really close to people we want to hit. then, we can, say, elbow them in the chin or chop-'em in the throat, and they can't effectively fight back, ahahaha!

A few weaknesses of wing chun to be aware of:

its ability to be used on the ground is pretty non-existant, its view being not to go down (all well and good, but slightly lacking in contingency i feel), so i'd suggest learning a ground-fighting art aswell -- ju jitsu for example. in fact, once you've learnt to fight on the ground, some of wing chun's technichues come in useful.

secondly, it's designed for chinese, and i've rarely seen it modified for caucasian body plans -- the main thing being that caucasians need to put their elbows out further than chineese people do in order for the blocks to work (espescially the taun-sau, which doesnt work atall for europeans in its classical, elbows-in form)

That's what basically interested me in Wing Chun, the close combat. Tie that in with Sambo which has a 3 different types within.

Versions of Sambo

Although it was originally a single system, there are now three generally recognized versions of Sambo:

Sport Sambo (Borba Sambo) is stylistically similar to amateur wrestling or Judo. The competition is similar to Judo, but with some differences in rules, protocol, and uniform. For example, in contrast with Judo, Sambo allows all types of leg locks, while not allowing chokeholds.

Self-defense Sambo, which is similar to Aikijutsu, jujitsu or Aikido, and is based on self-defense application, such as defending against attacks by both armed and unarmed attackers.

Combat Sambo (Russian: Boyevoye Sambo). Utilized and developed for the military, this is arguably the root of Sambo as it is now known, and includes practice with weapons and disarming techniques. Competition in combat sambo resembles modern mixed martial arts, and includes extensive forms of striking and grappling.

Problem is I'm 230ibs so I didn't think I was designed well for Wing Chun.