What's everyone taking in the fall 2006?

Genecks

Here's what I'm taking:

- Introduction to Philosophy

- Introduction to World Religions

- Introduction to Social Psychology

- 2nd year English (ENG-103)

- Beginning Spanish

Total Credits/Hours = 16

Typical FT load is 15 credits.

My Comments:

I really don't want to take Spanish; I like learning Japanese more than Spanish. With the probability of the national language law being passed, I don't know if taking Spanish is really worth anything these days. I rather take Japanese, but my institution does not offer it. Just one more of the reasons I dislike two-year colleges. I thought about transferring since I have a high G.P.A. and have a few courses on my transcript. I'm sticking around for math courses, but I can't take the ones I want because of the school's screwy registration system.

Math courses can be taken in the summer; I'm doing this; but fall registration is before the summer semester starts. A lot of students find this registration system screwy; it disables people from having consequtive higher-level math courses. A person can take a course in the fall, but he or she needs a passing grade by the middle of the course to move onto the next level. However, registration is before the half of the class is over. Matter of fact, as stated, the registration for fall is before the summer course begins. This makes many students angry; I don't think the faculty care.

My parents are bickering with me saying I can't take on 16 credits. I've taken Spanish before, and I'm studying all of the courses ahead of time. Studying for the second college year of English isn't as easy, but I believe since I'll have other things covered, then I'll have less of a mental load.

Foundation Engineering Mechanics semesters 1&2

Process Analysis 1 semesters 1&2

Process Heat Transfer semesters 1&2

Process Fluid Flow semesters 1&2

Chemical Engineering Practise semesters 1&2

Business Management Practices semester 2

Process Thermodynamics semesters 1&2

Mathematics 3b semester 1

Mathematics 4b semester 2

Entrepeneurship(Personal Creativity and New Venture Creation) semesters 1&2

sounds fun, no?

i don't want to do the business management practices but its compulsory

and the entrepeneurship is the lesser of 2 evils

i don't want to do the business management practices but its compulsory

and the entrepeneurship is the lesser of 2 evils

Why??? - Are these classes a waste of time (according to you)?

I understand that with most science degrees there is some element of compulsory business modules.

On topic - Come Autumn I'll probably be doing Economics, mathematics,physics,Critical thinking A-levels.

Well in chemcal engineering(my degree) you have to consider a lot of the economical factors. the business managment practices is part of the compulsory curriculum and the entrepeneurship class is an elective i picked(i needed to pick an elective to get the required amount of credits) it was either that or a language or a biology type class(i haven't done biology for 5 years now)

Foundation Engineering Mechanics semesters 1&2

sounds fun' date=' no?

[/quote']

Sounds good to me, but I wouldn't consider my opinion mainstream:D . I've also applied to do chem eng with business management(which does interest me) at Birmingham. The modules for the 1st year are:

Chemical engineering modules:

Modelling Concepts and Tools

Fluid Flow, Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer

Chemistry for Engineers

Chemical and Biological Processes

Chemical Engineering Design and Professional Skills A&B

Business modules (Business School):

Introduction to Financial Analysis

Business Organisation and Management

Introduction to Economics

International Economy

I have ben having a few doubts recently about whether I should do physics instead though, as throughout this year I have seem to have resurfaced a passion for the subject even though I am stronger at chemistry(which bores me a litle to be frank. Therefore I may switch to do theoretical physics at Birmingham if I meet the entry requirements(actually this has spurred me on to do better in my exams).

Just out of curiosity (Off topic - sorry)

What kind of job prospects is there for someone with a chemical engineering degree. I've never really been attracted to this field of science. Everytime I see the words 'chemical engineer' there is always this picture of a man in blue overalls working in a gritty factory (near a blast furnace etc) - basically a miner on steroids (thats the jist)

Whats so attractive about the chemical engineering field. Is it a bit like pharmaceutical technicians? It seems to me (although it 'is' a popular choice of career) that it is neglected (promotion wise).

Just out of curiosity (Off topic - sorry)

What kind of job prospects is there for someone with a chemical engineering degree. I've never really been attracted to this field of science. Everytime I see the words 'chemical engineer' there is always this picture of a man in blue overalls working in a gritty factory (near a blast furnace etc) - basically a miner on steroids (thats the jist)

Whats so attractive about the chemical engineering field. Is it a bit like pharmaceutical technicians? It seems to me (although it 'is' a popular choice of career) that it is neglected (promotion wise).

well, we do get down and dirty with the machinery on occasion, but it is mostly designing and improving the efficiency of chemical plants.

Say, for instance, a new drug is discovered by a lab(purpose is irrelevant). and you need to produce LOTS of it, a chemical engineer is going to design the process and a factory for large scale production. this is actually a whole lot different from very small scale like in a lab.

Half our lecturers wear blue overalls so you might be on the mark with that one.

Abskebabs: you missed out the math subjects thats what i don't like.

Hi insane, would you say that you need to be good practically with scientific experiments in Chemical Engineering. Frankly I'm hopeless, and I always prefer to theory in my science classes(unlike everyone else). Do you think I may be better suited to something like theoretical physics rather than chem eng?

Also, btw are u at Strathclyde uni?

abskebabs, yeah i'm at strathclyde. you do need to be reasonably good with the practical side but its nothing too complicated. if you know how to set up a still, a reflux condenser, do recrystalization and titrate you'll be fine. (you should be taught these in your first year anyways)

I've got my diploma in 1997 so no more classes for me! But I just wanted to add that while some classes may seem like a waste of time depending on your major, in retrospect I'm glad I learned what I did from those classes. You understand the world better. Regardless of benefits to my career, it benefitted me personally. That's always a good thing.

• 1 month later...

calculus

computer prog

stats

spanish

& virtual enterprise

i am also doing some so-called research in math...

i know i will surely have fun in calculus and computer prog.... but i am not too sure about stats and other stuff.... :D

• 3 weeks later...

I'm taking a 1-credit 'current topics' course, with no tests, homework or anything; all I have to do is read the papers before class, discuss them, and lead discussion on a paper I pick.

Damn I love being done with classes. Nothing but me and my research.

Mokele

Stage Three

Code Title Semester Credits Level Notes

PHY3030 Quantum Physics II I 10 3

PHY3102 Solid State Physics I I 10 3

PHY3129 Device Physics I 10 3

PHYM421 Statistical Mechanics II 10 4

PHY3122 Project and Dissertation I,II 30 3 Pass without condonement required.

PHY3128 Electronics for Measurement Systems II 10 3

PHY3143 Advanced Electromagnetism II 10 3

PHYM422 Quantum Physics III II 10 4

List 3a Option(s) from List 3a 20

List 3a Options

PHY2018 Mathematics with Physical Applications I,II 20 2 Required if not already taken.

PHY2214 Classical Theory of Fields II 10 2 If PHY2205 also taken.

PHY3134 Computational Physics II 10 3 If PHY2004 also taken.

PHY3140 Methods of Theoretical Physics II 10 3

PHY3142 Stars From Birth to Death II 10 3

PHY3146 Applied Optics and Acoustics II 10 3

List 3b Option(s) from List 3b 10

Elective Elective(s) 10/20

List 3b Options

PHY2004 Scientific Programming in C I 10 2

PHY2205 Analytical Dynamics I 10 2

PHY3108 Medical Uses of Ionizing Radiation I 10 3

PHY3112 Energy and the Environment I 10 3

PHY3144 Galaxies and Observational Cosmology I 10 3

PHY3145 Topics in Theoretical Physics I 10 3

Havn't picked my options yet, my research project is:

Magneto optical spectroscopy of thin films, or something like that I'll double check when I get home. That starts in october, for some of sept I'll be continueing my current research :D

I haven't quite decided myself yet. Currently, it's looking like:

• Hyperbolic Geometry
  • Calculus of Variations
  • Dynamical Systems
  • Homogenization Theory of PDEs (maybe)
  • Advanced PDE's (maybe)
  • Lie Groups
  • Population Dynamics: Ecology and Epidemiology
  • 4th Year Project: applications of wavelets to signal processing, implementation of the Wiener filter using wavelets - maybe.
  • History of Mathematics
  • Some random scientific computing modules

A lot of good modules on offer to choose from this year, so I'm quite looking forward to it really.

I think I'm going to be takeing

calc 3

physics 3 (heat etc.)

differential equations

linear algebra

stat 1

discrete mathmatics (maybe)

oh yeah klaynos are you taking all those courses in the same semester?

and what school do you go to?