Pizza Problem

KFC

I make a pizza with mozzarella and after about three choose, it lock up like tire rubber. Is there anyway to prevent this (practically).

-and make still eatable

I typically put in a mixture of mozzarella and a a tiny portion of cheddar cheese. The addition of the little bit of cheddar helps prevent the mozz from getting into that nasty rubbery texture.

Emmental or Gruyere are my fave alternatives, with a few slivers of Parmegano.

the emmental or gruyere in slices you can even soak in Milk for a hour or so and it melts just great on pizza too!

YT + jdurg... I am very impressed with your responses, mostly because I have absolutely no idea what the OPer is talking about. What is 'three choose' and what does 'lock up like tire rubber' mean?

translation, please?

"locks up like tire rubber" Means:

-The proteins in the cheese tangle up.(I think)

"three choose" Means:

-Three jaw movements

-The first step of digestion.

KFC, are you saying the mozzarella becomes stiff and doesn't break down after you chew it a few times? I think you are buying cheap cheese, or you're putting too much on.

ffsjoe could be right as well. A good pizza should be cooked fairly quickly (under 10 minutes) at high temperature (500° F or more) on a pizza stone. If you cook them longer at a lesser temp you're asking for a tough and chewy 'za.

also, do you put the cheese on TOP of the pizza as a last thing or do you put it on First and then ingredients/toppings?

secondly, do you put the cheese on as Grated or in slices/slivers?

it All makes a difference! :)

I have found that the best way is to take the crust, put a thin coating of sauce on there and mix in a little bit of cheese. Not a whole lot, but enough to make it noticeable. Then sprinkle a thin layer of cheese over the top. Typically, people mess up when they put in copious amounts of cheese on top. If you don't let the steam from the sauce escape during cooking, the cheese will form a distinct layer on top which is really what you DON'T want. Cheese is the binding agent in a pizza. You want it to bind all the ingredients together, not act as its own separate ingredient.

In many cases, the addition of too much sauce is the big culprit because it makes EVERYTHING soggy. If you have an 18 inch pizza, there should be no more than about 1/2 cup of tomato sauce on there. Any more makes for a bad pizza.

Remember, moderation is key. In addition, as an earlier poster in this thread had mentioned, you MUST use a VERY hot oven and cook for a short period of time. Cooking it too long makes the cheese very rubbery and nasty. A quick, high temperature cooking gives a nice crispy crust and the perfect texture to the cheese.

the fat content in mozzella is reasonably low too, that`s why you don`t get massive pools of fat/oil come out on heating unlike other cheeses.

also be sure to use Buffalo mozzeralla it`s much better than Cow mozzeralla that they Try to sell as propper/authentic.

Step 1- I make a thin(some light can go though) pizza dough (1 ft) no crust.

Step 2- I put 2-3 spoon in the middle and spin the pizza slowly pulling the spoon out ward spreading the sauce.

Step 3- I add roughly 100 mL of mixed cheese (25 colby cheese and 75 mozzella cheese).

Step 4- I add the topping (I like roughly 100 mL to 75mL of drained and chopped olives).

Step 5- I add I add roughly 50 mL of mixed cheese 25:75 Mix.

Step 6- I put it in a 450˚F oven until the edge turn golden brown.