What book/s are you reading right now?

Sayonara

I'm about to finish The Catcher in the Rye.

I have Memoirs of a Geisha, Wuthering Heights, James Joyce's Ulysses, Brave New World, Baudalino, and Island of the Day Before in the queue, as well as a giant book about the meaning of maths as a language.

Not sure which one to read next though :confused:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now I'm reading Organic Chemistry by John McMurry. I'm also working on Pierce's Genetics, Young and Freedman's University Physics, and when I can grab a free moment Bear's Neuroscience

Fun!!

But I'd definately not waste my time reading a book that wasn't about science.

The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts - Louis de Bernieres,

A book on Blues poetry, by someone or other,

Hagakure, The Book of the Samurai. Which is fairly poor, and a bit silly.

Chamfort, reflections on life, love & society.

The Catcher in the Rye, which I suspect is from the same 3 for 2 offer in Waterstones as yours.

I just finished "Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science". Excellent book. I'm about to buy "Intoxicated by My Illness and Other Writings on Life and Death". Its basically essays from a cancer patient about his view on death and dying and what a physician should be. They are very good. One of the essays is on this site "The Patient Examins the Doctor".

Aside from textbooks, I'm reading...textbooks. At least ones that have nothing to do with my subjects. I took a bunch back to the library today but I still have Modes of Speciation and The Evolution of Developmental Processes.

I just finished reading "The Templar Revelation: the Gaurdians of the Secret of the True Identity of Christ" by Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince. it's a real eye-opener which caused me to re-read the Gospels with much more scrutiny. this is now one of my favorite books.

Dudde said in post #15 :

as a side note, the catcher in the rye was a cool book, but aren't you two a little old to be reading that low :P

It may be required (or recommended?) reading in the US but it's not exactly a run-of-the-mill book in UK schools. I picked up a copy just to see what you crazy kids were talking about.

I sincerely doubt Salinger was intending to write a book for school kids.

I've moved on to "Brave New World" now, in any case :P

fafalone said in post #13 :

Freeware as in free open source software? not another free software dork...

Naah, it`s Sci-Fi, well CyberPunk technicaly, he wrote a series them.

Software, Wetware, Freeware, Hacker and the Ants etc...

he`s got an amazing imagination, he`s also a University lecturer in some sort of Maths area too, it`s reflected in his books, but not in a heavy cumbersome way, mostly the conceptuals are dealt with, and or perverted in the most bizare ways.

White Light was the 1`st book I read of his, I couldn`t put it down, it`s a "Must Read" kinda book :)

I read catcher in the rye a few years abo when I was about 16, I can't imagine how dull it would be to actually STUDY it.

Whenever we studied a book in school it totally ruined it!

I'm reading 'Persuader' - Lee Child

and 'In search of Schrodingers cat' - john Gribbin

zakfab said in post #22 :

I read catcher in the rye a few years abo when I was about 16, I can't imagine how dull it would be to actually STUDY it.

How ironic you mentioned that! I thought it was a great book...until my teacher made us make a reading journal about it. For every chapter a detailed summary, plot, character evaluation, etc., had to be made for Cathcer In the Rye. I now can't even stand to look at the cover. Someday I hope to read it again, but in the near future it will be too tragic.

The first time I read it, I remember thinking Holden was a lot like myself. I saw a lot of similarities. But tearing the book apart like he wanted to really just took the fun out of the story. It sort of became like a boring lab experiment instead of reading something for pleasure and using your imagination. Sorry for the rant. Six years later that assignment stil raises the hair on the back of my head.

EDIT: I forgot to add what I am reading...

For Pleasure:

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Feynman's Lectures on Physics

For school:

Biochemistry: Voet

MCB: Lodish

Organic Chemistry: Ege (and McMurry's to supplement that horrible text)

Originally posted by zakfab

High-school english was a joke. Not only did it ruin perfectly good books for me, it was completely useless. I learned more about ... english on my lonesome.

And I hated how there was a supposed right and wrong answer in interpreting poetry. That's a laugh. As if the authors wrote the answers to the final exams. I know that when I write poety there are many times at least 3 meanings to any one phrase and any one of them can be valid. The same can be said for stories as well.

As for reading, I can barely afford liquor, let alone reading material. I suppose I could always read the labels on the bottles...

Plus, finding the time is becoming increasingly difficult. However, I will make a point of hunting down and buying "The Elegant Universe."