Global warming not a factor in larger hurricanes? HA!

http://livescience.com/forcesofnature/060316_hurricane_sst.html

A study recently confirmed that warmer ocean temperatures are in fact making hurricanes stronger.

Of these factors, only rising sea surface temperatures was found to influence hurricane intensity in a statistically significant way over a long-term basis. The other factors affected hurricane activity on short time scales only.

And some of you doubted me...

But there are other studies that say that the temperature increase has no effect. So how are those not trained in the subject going to be able to evaluate these studies?

There are people who still believe that global warming isn't happening.:rolleyes: There are people who will never accept what is apparant and obvious to others.:-(

I thought that there was about a 50 year for cycle for hurricanes in the gulf of mexico and we are now into the more dangerous part of the cycle. However it is without a shadow of a doubt in my mind that the current warming of sea temperatures will have helped make these hurricanes more pwerful and frequent than even the worst from earlier cycles.

There are people who still believe that global warming isn't happening.:rolleyes: There are people who will never accept what is apparant and obvious to others.:-(

There are those who question whether warming is caused by human action or just part of a natural cycle.

There are those who question whether warming is caused by human action or just part of a natural cycle.

The assignation of blame does not remove or aleviate the problem of global warming.:mad: Human action is part of the natural cycle, and it is about time we took responsibility for it.:rolleyes:

It is my belief that the immediate self interest of humans will prevent timely action.:-(

The latest data indicates that the melting of the poles is accelerating. So are the levels of CO2. To me that is a sign that it is already to late.:eek:

A broken clock is right twice a day.

My friend came up to me today and said that to me. Only it was more like: "Hey Zach, I just realized that if a clock stops it is right three times a day," and I had to correct him...

Anyway, back on subject.

Unfortunately, we will not have the final answer for another 300 to 400 years. But isn't there enough evidence to prove that humans are at least the main reason?

I heard that it goes in cycles of decades where it is more active and then lees active. Is that true? I have doubted it because no proof was given and it didn't seem overwlemingly probable.

Well, there is evidence, just very little. For example, when do ice ages occur? About every 10,000 years. Are we do for another one soon? Well, we may be in one right now (see this thread), but factories began to release greenhouse gases causing the warmth.

The power of weather is connected to the condensation of water. If the earth had no surface water, but only a nitrogen and oxygen atmosphere, there would only be the clockwise high pressure circulations. The condensation of water into rain, snow or ice crystals, pulls a vacuum due to the rapid loss of gaseous water from vapor space. These lower pressure circulations pull in high pressure air to balance the pressure. This makes wind.

Ocean warming and even surface warmth, heat the air allowing more water to enter the atmosphere. In other words, the partial pressure of water vapors increases with temperature. This implies warmer air temperature means more condensation, more vacuum, and more energy to drive hurricanes.

The ocean temperatures can be affected by the earth itself through sub ocean splits in the crust and magna flows. It can also be affected from above by greenhouse gases heating the atmosphere. Both increase the amount of water in the atmosphere. The extra water in the atmosphere, that can now rise higher in the atmosphere, will convert greenhouse gases like CO2 or NOx, into aqueous acids which have a lower vapor pressure. In other words, greenhouse gases are self correcting because of their affect on the atmospheric water. They make more atmospheric water and scrub themsevles out in the process.

The heating within the oceans is also dissipated by the water. The warmer oceans mean more water within the atmosphere. This means bigger storms that rise higher into even colder parts of the atmosphere. The rain provides a quicker chill to help restore thermal balance.

Cyclic cooling implies less water in the atmosphere and weaker storms. Less water means droughts and more forest fires. This creates more greenhouse gases increasing the temperature again. The warmer temp mean more rain and new trees to restore the oxygen that was used by up the forest fires. Personally I would prefer a warm-up part of the cycle to the chill down. Thats only me.

The ocean temperatures can be affected by the earth itself through sub ocean splits in the crust and magna flows.

I often wonder what effect the rise in sea levels will have on seismic activity, and the Earths wobble. As far as i am aware nobody is suggesting that all land based ice will be melted however there is enough land based ice to raise the sea level by 65 meters.

It can also be affected from above by greenhouse gases heating the atmosphere. Both increase the amount of water in the atmosphere. The extra water in the atmosphere, that can now rise higher in the atmosphere, will convert greenhouse gases like CO2 or NOx, into aqueous acids which have a lower vapor pressure. In other words, greenhouse gases are self correcting because of their affect on the atmospheric water. They make more atmospheric water and scrub themselves out in the process.

Certainly some of the greenhouse gases will fallout as acid rain, but measurably not all. Some claim that many coral reefs are now dead or dying due to local acidification of their habitat.:-(

However it has been announced (via BBC World Service. Radio funded by UK foreign office) that according to the latest measurements the quantity of CO2 in the atmosphere is increasing. Not only is it increasing, the quantity that it is increasing by has accelerated in the last twenty years. Kyoto has made no difference to CO2 levels. :eek:

The heating within the oceans is also dissipated by the water. The warmer oceans mean more water within the atmosphere. This means bigger storms that rise higher into even colder parts of the atmosphere. The rain provides a quicker chill to help restore thermal balance.

I'm unsure of which thermal balance are you referring? Of the oceans, the air, the land, or the whole planet which is the topic of global warming. You do not explain where the energy goes to, and from there to where.:confused: