Marmite - love it or hate it

Royston

Probably more aimed at the members from the UK, but Marmite...love it or hate it ?

Incidentally whilst in Nicaragua a few years ago, a British lad had brought some over. We were all sat round a table for dinner with some travellers from the states, when he revealed the little black jar of yeasty goodness. The people from the states were almost angry at the thought of consuming such a tar like substance...'My God, what's the matter with you people, you eat this stuff !!!'

Is Marmite readily available in any other countries ? Is this stange viscous spread only enjoyed by the British...like battered (deep fried) Mars Bars (I've yet to try these, but they sound repulsive.)

I personally love Marmite, I used to scoop it from the jar as a child, though I'm the only person I know who had this habit.

My friend sent me Marmite from the UK' date=' I don't think its readily available here.

What's the difference between Marmite and Vegemite?[/quote']

Marmite was originally a bi-product from the fermentation process...I think this puts some people off.

http://www.marmite.com/love/history/

Vegemite is also a yeast extract spread but has other vegetable additives.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/VegemiteHistory.htm

I put mine on a bit thicker than most folks like it (Butter thickness)' date=' but then I`m a sucker for salt anyway :)[/quote']

Same, I also became very partial to Vegemite scrolls when living in Oz. They were a good substitute for my Marmite cravings, and yes Marmite does have a high salt content.

wtf is marmite

I've supplied a link in my second post, though you'll probably think Marmite lovers

are a bit demented. I can assure you they are the most intelligent and beautiful people on the planet ;)

• 2 weeks later...
what is marmite actually supposed to taste of?? even the thoght of smelling it makes me cringe

Marmite was stumbled across, and it's taste is unique. So I guess marmite tastes of marmite. Twiglets taste of marmite...but you can't really say marmite tastes of twiglets as marmite came first.

Twiglest are intentionally supposed to taste of marmite.