February 2024 was globally the warmest on record – Global Sea Surface Temperatures at record high

Depends what is meant by "a new phase". Humanity is already dealing with significant consequences, the only real question is how much more catastrophic will they have to become before a serious effort to address the problem is made.

On 3/7/2024 at 1:15 PM, Luc Turpin said:

Are we entering a new phase of climate change with significant consequences for humanity?

No. We entered it almost 200 years ago with the Industrial Revolution. It’s just now becoming so overwhelmingly beyond baseline that even non-experts are seeing it everywhere. 

Remember these years. They’ll never be this good again. Hashtag uplifting I’m not 

9 hours ago, iNow said:

No. We entered it almost 200 years ago with the Industrial Revolution. It’s just now becoming so overwhelmingly beyond baseline that even non-experts are seeing it everywhere. 

Remember these years. They’ll never be this good again. Hashtag uplifting I’m not 

Indeed, all we got left is the brace position and the hope that it won't hurt too much...

2 hours ago, swansont said:

Such as the timing of peak cherry blossoms in Tokyo

Same trend with those in DC. Yes, absolutely another reinforcing datapoint 

11 hours ago, npts2020 said:

Depends what is meant by "a new phase". Humanity is already dealing with significant consequences, the only real question is how much more catastrophic will they have to become before a serious effort to address the problem is made.

Yep.  We are already in a different place than 1970.  If the world had moved to neutral carbon back then, a significant percent of global warming would have been averted.  In 2024, we have moved more to mitigation and relocation.  Will be centuries before any reversal could happen.

13 hours ago, TheVat said:

Yep.  We are already in a different place than 1970.  If the world had moved to neutral carbon back then, a significant percent of global warming would have been averted.  In 2024, we have moved more to mitigation and relocation.  Will be centuries before any reversal could happen.

In 1970 we never put a tap in our maple trees before the first week of March and rarely missed any significant sap run. These days if you aren't tapped by mid-February, you missed or are missing the first hard run and even then you may have missed earlier ones that season, something that I don't remember ever happening prior to the last couple of decades.

On 3/8/2024 at 10:58 PM, npts2020 said:

A "new phase" such as passing a tipping point and entering uncharted territory in relation to significant consequences; things speeding up and getting much worse.

On 3/8/2024 at 11:30 PM, iNow said:

Soon we will be nostalgic about the "good old" years. We will remember common things that are no longer available. Uplifting you are not, but realistic you are. One of my greatest worries is famine overtaking the world and the social unrest-chaos that it will engender. Think migration is a problem today.

On 3/9/2024 at 8:36 AM, dimreepr said:

Indeed, all we got left is the brace position and the hope that it won't hurt too much...

I believe that its too late and going to hurt.

On 3/9/2024 at 10:25 AM, TheVat said:

Yes, sensitive to initial conditions; had we done something then we would be in a much better situation today. We also missed other "off-ramps" in the early stages of this climate change situation that would have made a difference. We talked a lot and then did not walk the talk.

19 hours ago, Luc Turpin said:

I believe that its too late and going to hurt.

Not for everyone, that's why we're in this mess; Trump, for instance, is far more likely to spend his last day's in a comfortably warm prison cell, than fighting for the last blade of grass, as is the son he taught...

4 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Not for everyone, that's why we're in this mess; Trump, for instance, is far more likely to spend his last day's in a comfortably warm prison cell, than fighting for the last blade of grass, as is the son he taught...

Hope his five-star prison runs out of caviar and champagne; Don jr!, what a lightbulb!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.