Sam Altman is a CROOK

AIkonoklazt

The Samster just asked for a whopping 7 billion investor handout:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/sam-altman-wants-to-raise-up-to-7-trillion-thats-uh-a-lot-of-dough/ar-BB1i3ay5

C'mon... This is clearly bullshit. I can see the "plan" from a billion miles away:
1. Raise trillions
2. Pay himself billions

3. Fuck all, laughs in people's faces as expensive house of cards folds after the smoke clears
4. Open golden parachute to the tune of tens if not hundreds of millions ON TOP
5. Maybe even just repeat that same shit again somewhere else afterwards- It's not as if he hasn't done all this failing-upwards crap BEFORE

This is as transparent as it gets as far as criminality is concerned. You know how much is a network of chip manufacturing plants? Biden's CHIPS Act is "only" 52 billion, and that's spread across multiple companies. Guess he wants to start up an entirely new multi-trillion dollar semiconductor manufacturing corporation which dwarfs market behemoth Samsung at a "measly" $370 Billion.........
https://companiesmarketcap.com/samsung/marketcap/

...and what's more, this is AFTER he already said that scaling out LLMs don't work!

https://www.wired.com/story/openai-ceo-sam-altman-the-age-of-giant-ai-models-is-already-over/

At MIT last week, Altman confirmed that his company is not currently developing GPT-5. “An earlier version of the letter claimed OpenAI is training GPT-5 right now,” he said. “We are not, and won't for some time.”

But the company’s CEO, Sam Altman, says further progress will not come from making models bigger. “I think we're at the end of the era where it's going to be these, like, giant, giant models,” he told an audience at an event held at MIT late last week. “We'll make them better in other ways.”

He just contradicted himself. Now, I'm wondering which oil prince in the UAE is gonna fall for that, and what happens once they find out this is a scam.

image.png.b4e827ed9ed1d8f2e27ed50bfd2dd3d5.png

40 minutes ago, iNow said:

I don’t see any engineering here (other than maybe a smear campaign and soapbox construction) 

I already backed up my argumentation, where's yours?

How much is a chip plant or a GPU firm, and is it anywhere near $7T? No.

Did he contradict himself? Yep.

I don't see anything from you except empty rhetoric.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and what the heck do you mean "you don't see any engineering"? Chip fabrication and LLM machine conditioning (I don't call it "training") ARE engineering.

Here's somewhat of an indication of Altman going: "I've not idea what I'm actually planning, except I'll scale it way up and contradict what I've previously said":

image.thumb.jpeg.8d5a94f8de83d84aff9b1701628c2664.jpeg

Edited by AIkonoklazt
7T not 7B, goodness

1 hour ago, AIkonoklazt said:

and what the heck do you mean "you don't see any engineering"? Chip fabrication and LLM machine conditioning (I don't call it "training") ARE engineering.

But the discussion here does not involve the engineering details. The points you raise are financial and alleged criminality. He may be leveraging the AI craze and trying to separate fools from their money, but what is the actual illegality involved here?

12 minutes ago, swansont said:

But the discussion here does not involve the engineering details. The points you raise are financial and alleged criminality. He may be leveraging the AI craze and trying to separate fools from their money, but what is the actual illegality involved here?

Clear misrepresentation.
He already expressed the futility of LLM scale before, yet here he is, asking to scale to the tune of 7 BILLION... Way past any groups of vertical semis are even going for.

Futility of scale + orders of magnitude over cost = clear fraud

2 minutes ago, AIkonoklazt said:

Clear misrepresentation.
He already expressed the futility of LLM scale before, yet here he is, asking to scale to the tune of 7 BILLION... Way past any groups of vertical semis are even going for.

Futility of scale + orders of magnitude over cost = clear fraud

Your linked article is short on detail, but it says he wants the money to build chip plants. Do you have evidence he’s not going to build these plants?

2 hours ago, AIkonoklazt said:

a whopping 7 billion

19 minutes ago, AIkonoklazt said:

to scale to the tune of 7 BILLION

Trillion. T

1 hour ago, AIkonoklazt said:

Edited 1 hour ago by AIkonoklazt
7T not 7B, goodness

Yes correct, but you missed some then repeated the mistake again AFTER making this edit 

16 minutes ago, swansont said:

Your linked article is short on detail, but it says he wants the money to build chip plants. Do you have evidence he’s not going to build these plants?

Trillions not billions, I did that again. 
He's not going to build 7 trillion worth of anything. Samsung, the largest vertical of them all, is hundreds of billions and not a trillion, much less 7 of them. Also, his tweet was buying GPU and not even building anything. His asking price is clearly fraudulent 

3 hours ago, iNow said:

Trillion. T

Yes correct, but you missed some then repeated the mistake again AFTER making this edit 

Yeah I've never even written about trillions of dollars in any discussion before. Not sure what point you're making if you're just picking on it.

3 hours ago, iNow said:

Sellers have asking prices. Altman is looking to be a buyer in this situation

Do you know what asking for investors' money mean?

Let me put it this way. Someone ask you for $3000 dollars for something that could be done for much less than $300, on top of the fact that he already acknowledged elsewhere to someone else that spending money on that particular thing would be useless. Are you still not going to call this a grift?

8 hours ago, AIkonoklazt said:

Do you know what asking for investors' money mean?

Yes

8 hours ago, AIkonoklazt said:

Are you still not going to call this a grift?

I’m gonna call it Loretta. 

You keep neg repping me. It’s weird, and seems to bolster my core position that you’re just grinding axes and soapboxing.