Any clairvoyants on A.I. here ?

Externet

Greetings.

Too much speculation going on about what artificial intelligence A.I. will be like in the future from not clear-minded opinions. Give your grain of sand please.   Will this forum survive with people or will be replaced by A.I. ?  Will kids be taught QRcode at school instead of alphabet - perhaps with no teacher ?  Will currency disappear ?   Store clerks unemployed and people buying things talking to a display (with no need to talk) ?     Yesterday went to buy a sandwich and at the register, a young 'cashier' girl behind a counter pointed me to a scanner, a credit card slot, a money slot, a receipt printer, a change vomiting machine all on the counter top oriented towards the customer and did not move a finger.  What she did could be easily be replaced by a video recording. 

What type of activity will she perform a few years from now ?  Similar at the supermarket for well over a year now, and spreading to the hardware store and more.

There is no way to find a taxi, to buy a bus ticket,   You are forced to pass trough the funnel of a phone application.  And am not sure that is related to A.I. as has been imposed for a long time now.

Will your refrigerator know what is left in it and when you voice 'prepare artichokes in oyster sauce for supper'  it will place an order that will arrive by drone to an exterior door of a cooking appliance on time ?

So far when I have said at a friend's house 'Hey google, make me a ham sandwich and bring a beer'  that thinghy just plays music.  What are real expectations, will my grandkids be glued to a 'smart' phone trying to locate some crumbs to eat ?

AI bots are already on these and other forums. We’re their classrooms and training grounds. 

Jobs will definitely change. No longer are blue collar jobs the only ones being taken over by robots, but now also white collar jobs. Finance and accounting, customer service agents, even creatives. 

Jobs will shift toward those who can’t be replaced by AI like plumbing and nursing and cooking. Service jobs… and those continuing to wear their white collars will be those who’ve learned to use AI to amplify and magnify their capabilities. 

The car replaced the horse and all the jobs that came with it, and then entire new sectors of the economy came into being in support of vehicles.

Creative destruction it’s called, and we’re in for a Cambrian level explosion of creation and destruction of knowledge and jobs and culture as a whole in the years ahead. 

It is thus. The amazing Kreskin has spoken ;) 

1 hour ago, Externet said:

Yesterday went to buy a sandwich and at the register, a young 'cashier' girl behind a counter pointed me to a scanner, a credit card slot, a money slot, a receipt printer, a change vomiting machine all on the counter top oriented towards the customer and did not move a finger.  What she did could be easily be replaced by a video recording. 

She wasn't training her replacement; she was training the customers to deal with her replacement. As the cashiers in all my grocery stores have been doing. Three years ago, when our Walmart brought in automated checkouts, there was a cashier at each of the three stations; now, there is one supervising all eight, and only three checkout counters operated by a human being. Now, two other food stores and both hardware stores have them. (Obviously, I'm one of the old diehards who stand in line as long as it takes at one of the ever-fewer checkouts with a person who draws a salary, but I know we can't hold out forever.)

What type of activity will she perform a few years from now ? 

If there were any justice, studying for her MA in Archeology or home-schooling her children or painting landscapes, or whatever her talents and desires prompt her to do. If there isn't, she'll be on one of the social assistance programs that pay you just enough to survive, not to thrive. 

There is no way to find a taxi, to buy a bus ticket,   You are forced to pass trough the funnel of a phone application.  And am not sure that is related to A.I. as has been imposed for a long time now.

AI is just the latest iteration of a technological trend that started....  I suppose you can trace it all the way back to a chimpanzee picking up a stone to crack a nut.   Some of us like inventing things and improving on things their predecessors invented; a few like owning the right to monetize those inventions, and the inventive people, in order to enrich themselves; some see technological innovation as a source of  improved weaponry; some see the products as fresh fields for criminal activity; a great many consumers believe sufficiently in the labour- and time-saving convenience to devote many effort/hours to their acquisition. 

There is a cost. We don't generally think much about costs other than what comes out out of our wallets - not even to the depth of the number of hours each $ in that wallet cost us in wasted effort, commuting, frustration, humiliation, lost social opportunities, relationships, leisure, personal interests, emotional health, let alone the costs to our society, other societies, the environment, the ecology at large, etc. Most of the time, when we buy something, we have no idea what its actual cost-to-date is  - and we certainly can't project it long-term cost/benefit ratio for the future.

Will your refrigerator know what is left in it and when you voice 'prepare artichokes in oyster sauce for supper'  it will place an order that will arrive by drone to an exterior door of a cooking appliance on time ?

Only if you are one of the people who owned a lot of other enterprises and real estate before AI took over. Otherwise, you're out of work, on a pathetic dole from a near-bankrupt government, and can't even afford to dream of such a refrigerator or such foodstuffs.

So far when I have said at a friend's house 'Hey google, make me a ham sandwich and bring a beer'  that thinghy just plays music

Google keeps you abreast of the latest gossip and entertainment. What you want is one of these guys.     

How it goes down from here depends on human decisions. Good luck with that!

Edited by Peterkin