Puzzle for the Day

English is my second language (I don't have a first one).  And I can't quite figure out what the puzzle wants.  Anagram, Sator Square, acrostic, what?  Hint is....steps?  chest?  cheat?  

3 hours ago, TheVat said:

English is my second language (I don't have a first one).  And I can't quite figure out what the puzzle wants.  Anagram, Sator Square, acrostic, what?  Hint is....steps?  chest?  cheat?  

CHESS

13 hours ago, Commander said:

If I give a clue the answer may come out fast

Or maybe not.  😀

The letters do not seem to correspond to chess piece symbols (KQRBNP), the grid is the wrong number of squares, and I find no anagrams that spell words like stalemate, checkmate, gambit, zugzwang, fork, pin, promotion, Sicilian, black, white, or other chess terms.  So one guess is the clue is to how to move through a group of letters, e.g. if you start on an outside square and move like a knight, you will get words like dine, girl, line, grid.  If you move like a bishop, you get gin, lol.  

Nope, I don't see any inspiration yet.  Probably overthinking, which almost never works.

1 hour ago, Commander said:

What comes in the Series ?

4 , 11 , 20 , 31 , _ , 59 , 76 , 95 , 116 , _ , ?

And Why ?

4+7=11

11+9=20

20+11=31

31+13=44

44+15=59

59+17= 76

76+19= 95

95+21=116

116+23=139

4 hours ago, Commander said:

Correction 
Sry error regretted

What comes in the Series ?

4 , 11 , 20 , 31 , _ , 59 , 76 , 95 , 116 , _ , ?

And Why ?

Spoiler

4+7=11   .+9=20   .+11=31   .+13=44   .+15=59   .+17=76   .+19=95   .+21=116   .+23=139 ...  

1 hour ago, Commander said:

Oh yes it turned out to be easy

Though it is
X(n) = n^2 + 4n - 1 being the formula

It is straightforward to get the recursive formula from this:

X(n+1) = (n+1)^2 + 4(n+1) - 1 = n^2 +2n +1 + 4n +4 - 1 = n^2 + 4n - 1 + 2n + 5 = X(n) + (2n + 5)

The formula, X(n+1) = X(n) + (2n+5), makes it easy. The additive term, 2n + 5, gives the consecutive odd numbers starting with 7 (for n=1).

Edited by Genady

@Commander

Could you please post an answer to the linen grid puzzle?  In the hidden format, of course.  I will look at the more recent puzzles, but it's nice to have closure on past ones.  I am usually good at crosswords and anagrams, so maybe that was a puzzle form I'm just unfamiliar with?

13 minutes ago, Genady said:

image.png.95622b55a19f45f9b8bdeeaef93418cb.png

Seemed easy.

I'm on a tablet so the hidden button doesn't seem to appear.  It can be figured without recourse to formulae.  

10 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Seemed easy.

I'm on a tablet so the hidden button doesn't seem to appear.  It can be figured without recourse to formulae. 

It is an easy one to make a mistake, too.

Yep.  POSSIBLE SPOILER MY TABLET CAN'T ACCESS THE HIDDEN EYE BUTTON SORRY One has to see there are two kinds of revolving, one with respect to circle B and one with respect to us, looking down on the page.  

It's a nice frame of reference puzzle.  END SPOILER 

Edited by TheVat

7 hours ago, Commander said:

What comrs next inthe Series 1 , 6 , 39 , 340 , 3905 , _

In case someone wants an explanation:

Spoiler

1: 1 = 1

2: 6 = 2(1+2)

3: 39 = 3(1+3(1+3))

4: 340 = 4(1+4(1+4(1+4)))

5: 3905 = 5(1+5(1+5(1+5(1+5))))

6: 55986 = 6(1+6(1+6(1+6(1+6(1+6)))))

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Commander said:

DING LIREN the CHESS WORLD CHAMPION !

Guess I didn't win the lounge suite.  Last time I looked into the chess world, Magnus Carlsen was the world champ.  I don't really keep up with chess, except a couple times a week I solve the daily chess puzzles at chess.com.  The end of the week ones are usually the hardest.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...