Advice please.

dimreepr

I wifi off my phone to my laptop too with Giffgaff. Just checked download speed and it's 25-32mb and 60 ping. This is at busy time. Costs me £12 for 25GB. Unlimited is about double but I don't need it.

Edited by StringJunky

1 hour ago, mistermack said:

The other bonus is that you can use it anywhere that you get a signal.

I think Dim's 250m garden is somewhere in rural Glouscestershire.

I also think that, like rural Somerset, mobile phone signal is very patchy indeed.

In fact if you live on either coast of the peninsular, which is heavily dissected, signal is non existent in lots of inhabited places, and the residents there have to get up on the adjacent hills to use one., Take for example, Brendon or Branscome in Devon, Lyme in Dorset , Kilve in Somerset or Portwen in Cornwall.

6 hours ago, studiot said:

I think Dim's 250m garden is somewhere in rural Glouscestershire.

I also think that, like rural Somerset, mobile phone signal is very patchy indeed.

He's listed as Stonehouse, which is about five miles from me. Most suppliers have a UK coverage map online now, with different colours for signal strength. I tested mine for speed before I signed up. It's poor compared to wired internet when you run a test, but I honestly can't tell the difference. If you can get 5g, the speed would be a lot higher, but 5g is shown as patchy where I live, and I'm happy with the 4g performance as it is. I'd have to upgrade to a 5g phone or portable modem to get it.

11 hours ago, mistermack said:

He's listed as Stonehouse, which is about five miles from me. Most suppliers have a UK coverage map online now, with different colours for signal strength. I tested mine for speed before I signed up. It's poor compared to wired internet when you run a test, but I honestly can't tell the difference. If you can get 5g, the speed would be a lot higher, but 5g is shown as patchy where I live, and I'm happy with the 4g performance as it is. I'd have to upgrade to a 5g phone or portable modem to get it.

Sorry for the spellung mistake. No offence meant.

I had in mind "possibly the Forest of Dean" but never mind the other side ok.

The last time I visited the Stonehouse asrea I had little or no signalin and around Hetti Peglar's Tump or around the Cotswold edge below the momument.
Indeed the edge country Broadway right the way down to Thornbury is littered with mobile blind spots.

But thanks for the info.