Applied Maths jobs

Hugh Gaffey

Hi, I've been wondering if there's any jobs you can get as an applied maths major working in places like the ESA or Airbus or some science/engineering discipline doing systems modelling jobs/calculations or something of the likes. TBH I'm just asking to gauge people's opinions/experience if its possible to get a job with maths that's not something soul sucking like working as a quant or actuary lol. Any advice is appreciated! :)

9 hours ago, Sensei said:

I heard that Walmart needs people who can give their customers the right amount of change from their purchases.. ;)

LOL.  +1

11 hours ago, Hugh Gaffey said:

Hi, I've been wondering if there's any jobs you can get as an applied maths major working in places like the ESA or Airbus or some science/engineering discipline doing systems modelling jobs/calculations or something of the likes. TBH I'm just asking to gauge people's opinions/experience if its possible to get a job with maths that's not something soul sucking like working as a quant or actuary lol. Any advice is appreciated! :)

As a (now retired) applied mathematician I have done applied maths work for Airbus, and British Gas in the past.  Gas dynamics and engine vibration dynamics were probably the highest level engineering maths I did.

But there was a wealth of lower level stuff from bridge analysis to geophysics and geodetic work ... the field is very wide indeed.

Good luck.

12 hours ago, Sensei said:

I heard that Walmart needs people who can give their customers the right amount of change from their purchases.. ;)

I've heard that the constipation ward in the local hospital need someone who is good at working things out with a pencil. 

Good luck !! 

(the old ones are the best)

Edited by mistermack