ADHD stimulants against Covid etc

BV63

Seems like there is strong evidence that ADHD stimulants save lives.

https://www.additudemag.com/adhd-symptoms-coronavirus-risk/
"The COVID-19 infection rate is nearly 50% higher among individuals with unmedicated ADHD compared to individuals without ADHD"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32629693/
"The white blood count rose by 1350 cells/μL (P < .033) due to neutrophilia, lymphocytosis and eosinophilia.
The results indicate that methylphenidate may cause hypokalemia and elevated glucose, leukocyte, neutrophil, lymphocyte and eosinophil counts. "

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7247598/
"After controlling for confounding factors, the results indicated that influenza risk significantly reduced in the group of ADHD patients who were prescribed methylphenidate for 90 days and more"

51 minutes ago, BV63 said:

Seems like there is strong evidence that ADHD stimulants save lives.

https://www.additudemag.com/adhd-symptoms-coronavirus-risk/
"The COVID-19 infection rate is nearly 50% higher among individuals with unmedicated ADHD compared to individuals without ADHD"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32629693/
"The white blood count rose by 1350 cells/μL (P < .033) due to neutrophilia, lymphocytosis and eosinophilia.
The results indicate that methylphenidate may cause hypokalemia and elevated glucose, leukocyte, neutrophil, lymphocyte and eosinophil counts. "

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7247598/
"After controlling for confounding factors, the results indicated that influenza risk significantly reduced in the group of ADHD patients who were prescribed methylphenidate for 90 days and more"

Insofar as they control the behaviours in ADHD patients that lead them to suffer elevated risks of infection, yes. Otherwise, no. Or at least not according to my reading of these links.

Specifically, there seems to be nothing here to suggest that a non-ADHD person would benefit from taking these medications.

22 minutes ago, exchemist said:

Insofar as they control the behaviours in ADHD patients that lead them to suffer elevated risks of infection, yes. Otherwise, no. Or at least not according to my reading of these links.

Specifically, there seems to be nothing here to suggest that a non-ADHD person would benefit from taking these medications.

I agree.  A quote from the first article:

The scientists posit that ADHD symptoms and traits, including failure to give close attention to detail, impulsivity, forgetfulness, risk-taking behaviors, and more might explain the elevated probability of exposure to Sars-Cov-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, in this group.

37 minutes ago, Bufofrog said:

I agree.  A quote from the first article:

The scientists posit that ADHD symptoms and traits, including failure to give close attention to detail, impulsivity, forgetfulness, risk-taking behaviors, and more might explain the elevated probability of exposure to Sars-Cov-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, in this group.

Well I suppose we should be grateful this is not promoting invermectin.......yet............🤪

Edited by exchemist

As others said, link 1 and 3 suggest behavioural modification (i.e. unmedicated ADHD patients have a harder time to take care of themselves). The second link makes me believe that OP might think that high white blood cells are somehow a good thing. Rather, they are indicative of a range of conditions including inflammation, which is decidedly not a good condition to be in.

As a whole the studies do show that behaviour has a big impact on infection risk.

2 hours ago, exchemist said:

Well I suppose we should be grateful this is not promoting invermectin.......yet............🤪

On that end it should probably be noted that some of the studies showing the strongest benefits have been (most notably the now retracted pre-print from Elgazzar et al.) have been found to be flawed. Luckily there are drugs coming to the market which have decent evidence that they work, and hopefully the arsenal for COVID-19 management. This is especially important for the transition time to an endemic disease (and management once that point is reached).

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2022 at 11:44 PM, CharonY said:

As others said, link 1 and 3 suggest behavioural modification (i.e. unmedicated ADHD patients have a harder time to take care of themselves). The second link makes me believe that OP might think that high white blood cells are somehow a good thing. Rather, they are indicative of a range of conditions including inflammation, which is decidedly not a good condition to be in.

As a whole the studies do show that behaviour has a big impact on infection risk.

On that end it should probably be noted that some of the studies showing the strongest benefits have been (most notably the now retracted pre-print from Elgazzar et al.) have been found to be flawed. Luckily there are drugs coming to the market which have decent evidence that they work, and hopefully the arsenal for COVID-19 management. This is especially important for the transition time to an endemic disease (and management once that point is reached).

There are also studies showing ADHD may be an immunological disease.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00787-019-01344-2

Then i wonder about this study. If i understand Amphetamine release Adrenaline and Noradrenaline as well.

"The general pattern, Dhabhar said, was that norepinephrine is released early and is primarily involved in mobilizing all major immune-cell types -- monocytes, neutrophils and lymphocytes -- into the blood. Epinephrine, also released early, mobilized monocytes and neutrophils into the blood, while nudging lymphocytes out into "battlefield" destinations"

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120621223525.htm

Edited by BV63

That would be a huge jump in assumption. A lot of syndromes are associated with the immune system and a lot stimuli and drugs influence it. In order to ascertain that any of that has a direct impact on the course of a specific infection very specific studies are needed. 

• 4 months later...

Looks like Corona variants are becoming resistant to the vaxx induced abs.

I have been told spiritually by Goddess Kali that ADHD medication will help for VAIDS. Did not understand if it was for VAIDS but now i am 100% sure.

Not yet sure if it is a specific ADHD medication.

I read this:

"Some adhd meds are methyl donors, boosting methylation in the body protects a person from many viruses because it tightens up the dna and slows replication of everything, which gives people more energy at the expense of cells dividing."

Have no idea if that is the reason it will help for VAIDS though.

4 hours ago, BV63 said:

Looks like Corona variants are becoming resistant to the vaxx induced abs.

I have been told spiritually by Goddess Kali that ADHD medication will help for VAIDS. Did not understand if it was for VAIDS but now i am 100% sure.

Not yet sure if it is a specific ADHD medication.

I read this:

"Some adhd meds are methyl donors, boosting methylation in the body protects a person from many viruses because it tightens up the dna and slows replication of everything, which gives people more energy at the expense of cells dividing."

Have no idea if that is the reason it will help for VAIDS though.

Goddess Kali? This is a science forum.

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/328102

Vaccines against the coronavirus may impair the body’s ability to produce a key type of antibody, thus potentially limiting the immune system’s defenses against mutated strains of the virus, a new study suggests.

The study draws upon data collected during Moderna’s randomized control trial for its mRNA SARS-CoV-2 vaccine, from July 2020 through March 2021.

Researchers looked at participants who tested positive for the coronavirus during the trial, comparing serum levels of specific types of antibodies, based on vaccination status, as well as viral load.

In particular, the study looks at the antibody response to the virus’ nucleocapsid protein core, using the anti-nucleocapsid antibodies levels (anti-N Abs) as a marker for comprehensive immune system response to the virus, as opposed to the narrower response to the spike protein. Variants of SARS-CoV-2 with mutated spike proteins have been a subject of concern for the reliance of vaccinated immunity on antibodies targeting the s-proteins of the original variant.

14 minutes ago, exchemist said:

Goddess Kali? This is a science forum.

Yeah. But it´s real so it´s science i suppose. :)

35 minutes ago, BV63 said:

Yeah. But it´s real so it´s science i suppose. :)

!

Moderator Note

But it's not real, so we don't mention religion in the science sections, per the rules you agreed to when you joined. Do it again and the post will go to the Trash.

Just posted a study and you still deny that mass vaccination with this vaxx is dangerous?

https://evolution.berkeley.edu/evo-news/viruses-variation-and-vaccines/

"The other half of the equation is the diversity of defenses that a vaccine can equip our immune systems with. The polio, measles, and rabies vaccines are all based on entire virus particles (either inactivated or disabled so that they cannot cause serious disease). Such vaccines teach our immune systems to recognize many different viral proteins, not just one. Imagine a polio virus that carries a mutation making one of its proteins unrecognizable to a vaccine-primed immune system. That virus would still be attacked by the immune system on the basis of its other proteins. To get past the immune system, a single virus particle would have to carry the right the mutations in all the different proteins the immune system recognizes. And that is extremely unlikely, making the evolution of a resistant strain similarly unlikely. (Note that the flu vaccine is a notable exception to this general pattern; it is also based on the entire virus particle, but the virus is still able to evolve out from under the vaccine.)

The approved COVID-19 vaccines, on the other hand, all target a single protein — and two of them only a short stretch of that protein. If mutations change the shape of that protein, it could easily make our vaccines less effective. Studies of this question are still underway, but the initial evidence is worrying. At least some of our vaccines seem to be somewhat less effective against some coronavirus strains now in circulation. Focusing on a single protein contributed to the record-breaking pace of COVID-19 vaccine development. But it also produced narrowly focused vaccines that could falter in the face of viral variation."

Edited by BV63

14 hours ago, CharonY said:

Nothing you posted suggest that they are dangerous.

Really? It´s like giving billions of people the same antibiotics that only works ok. Well it´s worse because the drug damage the natural immune system in this case.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0250780

"Risk of rapid evolutionary escape from biomedical interventions targeting SARS-CoV-2 spike protein

The deployment of vaccines against SARS-CoV-2 brings the question of mutational escape from antibody prophylaxis to the forefront. Rapid evolutionary evasion of neutralizing antibodies (nAbs) poses a number of threats to biomedical interventions aimed at bringing the virus under control, namely the risk of reduced vaccinal efficacy over time as resistant variants continue to emerge (which may or may not be rectifiable with annual vaccine updates), the risk of waning effectiveness of natural immunity as a result of evasion of common nAbs, and the risk of antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE)."

Edited by BV63

1 hour ago, BV63 said:

Really? It´s like giving billions of people the same antibiotics that only works ok. Well it´s worse because the drug damage the natural immune system in this case.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0250780

"Risk of rapid evolutionary escape from biomedical interventions targeting SARS-CoV-2 spike protein

The deployment of vaccines against SARS-CoV-2 brings the question of mutational escape from antibody prophylaxis to the forefront. Rapid evolutionary evasion of neutralizing antibodies (nAbs) poses a number of threats to biomedical interventions aimed at bringing the virus under control, namely the risk of reduced vaccinal efficacy over time as resistant variants continue to emerge (which may or may not be rectifiable with annual vaccine updates), the risk of waning effectiveness of natural immunity as a result of evasion of common nAbs, and the risk of antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE)."

Who says the Covid vaccines damage the immune system? I’ve never read anything to suggest that. Nothing you have posted so far seems to support such a suggestion.

8 hours ago, exchemist said:

Who says the Covid vaccines damage the immune system? I’ve never read anything to suggest that. Nothing you have posted so far seems to support such a suggestion.

This study does not suggest that?

The vaxx prevent the production of antibodies that recognize much more of the virus when infected no?

When the virus is resistant and those abs continue to be produced (Immune imprinting) then those abs can instead enhance infection if i understand.

"for any given viral copy number, the odds of anti-N seropositivity were 13.67 times higher for the
placebo arm than the vaccine arm"

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.04.18.22271936v1.full.pdf

Edited by BV63

12 minutes ago, BV63 said:

This study does not suggest that?

The vaxx prevent the production of antibodies that recognize much more of the virus when infected no?

When the virus is resistant and those abs continue to be produced (Immune imprinting) then those abs can instead enhance infection if i understand.

"for any given viral copy number, the odds of anti-N seropositivity were 13.67 times higher for the
placebo arm than the vaccine arm"

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.04.18.22271936v1.full.pdf

It does not. All it says is that antibodies against a part of the virus other than the spike protein are lower in vaccinated people than in people who caught the disease. That is not specially surprising and does not suggest the immune response has been harmed. It is just that different responses have been triggered. At least that is how I read it. 

40 minutes ago, exchemist said:

It does not. All it says is that antibodies against a part of the virus other than the spike protein are lower in vaccinated people than in people who caught the disease. That is not specially surprising and does not suggest the immune response has been harmed. It is just that different responses have been triggered. At least that is how I read it. 

Another large study did also show that immune imprinting is happening. How can that not be very bad news with such a narrow protection when the virus is becoming resistant? Or i missunderstand? I know VAIDS is real but not sure if these studies prove it.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867422000769

The authors wrote:

"Additional booster doses may be able to compensate for relatively decreased binding to new viral variant antigens, potentially decreasing the public health impact of antibody response imprinting."

Here Igor gives his interpretation of three studies.

He writes that the shot hurt the natural immune system so that people get chronic Covid. And because Covid can damage T-cells it´s similar to AIDS.

Is his interpretation correct you think?

https://igorchudov.substack.com/p/aids-like-chronic-covid-is-taking?s=r

Edited by BV63

54 minutes ago, BV63 said:

Another large study did also show that immune imprinting is happening. How can that not be very bad news with such a narrow protection when the virus is becoming resistant? Or i missunderstand? I know VAIDS is real but not sure if these studies prove it.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867422000769

The authors wrote:

"Additional booster doses may be able to compensate for relatively decreased binding to new viral variant antigens, potentially decreasing the public health impact of antibody response imprinting."

Here Igor gives his interpretation of three studies.

He writes that the shot hurt the natural immune system so that people get chronic Covid. And because Covid can damage T-cells it´s similar to AIDS.

Is his interpretation correct you think?

https://igorchudov.substack.com/p/aids-like-chronic-covid-is-taking?s=r

VAIDS is a myth: https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-vaids-fakes-idUSL1N2UM1C7

and you, I think, are either a sucker or a troll.

31 minutes ago, BV63 said:

You actually did not even look at the studies and instead chose Reuters? 🙄

Considering that you do not seem to understand the studies you linked yourself, using a more accessible source is a good idea.

1 hour ago, BV63 said:

I know VAIDS is real but not sure if these studies prove it.

No that doesn't support and VAIDS is not real.

1 hour ago, BV63 said:

Since it's an anti-vac site we can confidently say the interpretation is not correct.

39 minutes ago, BV63 said:

You actually did not even look at the studies and instead chose Reuters? 🙄

You think Reuters is unreliable, do you?

No reputable study has found any sign of immune deficiency induced by COVID vaccines. 

”VAIDS” is pernicious nonsense, peddled by eyeball-rolling ignoramuses and worse.

Edited by exchemist

Is this true and would you be alarmed by it?

"The BA4/5 sister variants currently dominate two countries: South Africa and Portugal. South Africa is barely vaccinated (only 35% had a vaccine, 5% had a booster), whereas Portugal is 95% vaccinated and 70% boosted. The situations in these countries could not be any more different: while Ba.4 and Ba.5 were mere blips on the radar in South Africa, these same variants are driving a deadly wave of Covid in highly-vaccinated Portugal, with deaths among the Portuguese nearing January peak and showing few signs of abating."

3 minutes ago, BV63 said:

Is this true and would you be alarmed by it?

So you don't even know if it's true?  Sounds like you are purposely spreading misinformation about a health issue.  Why in the hell would you do that?