CPU Architecture

starchaser137

How can I get started to learn more about designing a computer? I have basic knowledge of components like Registers, Adders, Latches, and I can design a simple Von Neuman Architecture computer that can perform basic operations. How do I evolve past that? I have a book called "Digital Logic and Computer Organisation" to study more about the topic.

I have also watched Ben Eater videos about building a simple 8-bit computer from scratch.

Can anyone recommend any further material? Some website or forum dedicated specifically to this? Any free software tools to design logic circuits? Would be really helpful.

Hi starchaser137

The site I pop into from time to time is https://opencores.org/

There you will find open designs you can look at and make contact

with others doing this.

I'd suggest you start with something fairly simple (6502 type design maybe) and popular.

That will give you a better chance of both getting a leg up and finding people to help

when you get stuck.

I'm personally a Xillinx fan but would warn you that if you get into FPGA's the learning curve

is both long and steep - not for the faint hearted. On the other hand you don't have

to spend much to see what its all about - I'd recommend you download and install

Xilinx vivado (still free I think) and take a look at the examples. Thats a comprehensive

toolchain for general FPGA design and you will get to see the complexity very quickly.

Alternatively there are a number of people building such processors with discrete

components (even on breadboard!)  - a yahoo search will pull those up - try

a search for "6502 open source" and similar:- what has been done is quite amazing.

Do not be tempted to buy books for college students as they tend to be too dense for

self teaching - and stay away from overly cheap tools - work with the best you can get.

I would avoid mswindows for xilinx - linux is much better for this.

The basic concepts are easy enough  - its learning what you need to learn and doing

it that takes the time.

People will suggest you learn verilog - if you only expect to work in the amateur

field  that's ok - the alternative is more precise and trusted by bigger institutions

and no harder to learn - so if you want to work in the field someday use that

(I'm not naming it in hopes of avoiding pointless flame wars) 

I hope thats some use to you.

On 2/24/2021 at 11:01 AM, starchaser137 said:

I have basic knowledge of components like Registers, Adders, Latches, and I can design a simple Von Neuman Architecture computer that can perform basic operations.

With that knowledge, a late  1970s 8bit design like the MosTek 6502 is easy to 'understand'.
( I was partial to the Zilog z80 )
The evolution to 16/32/64 bit designs with MMU/FPU/pipelines/out-of-order-execution/RISC/cache/etc is quite a bit more difficult, and almost impossible for an amateur to implement with discrete logic.
If, on the other hand, you just wish to understand these architectures, one source I was fond of using in the 90s, and which is available in most University libraries, is Microprocessor Report.
( not sure if back issues are available online )

Two books I found very very useful in the past and still contain useful stuff.
They are good because they both contain much practical info and examples eg breadboarding interface circuits and so on.

I don't know where you are in the world, but if you can get hold of an old Open University Hektor trainer you would be laughing.
I built one and learned machine code  and assembler on one.

Also you can get some pretty sophistic 'logic trainer breadboards' second hand these days.
These can be adapted for use with micros.

PETIF.thumb.jpg.cb23e78a5d3affc2ddc3778690de119c.jpgmproc.jpg.4b47f34581fbe050d15c7aa57e839702.jpg